Jalen Carter

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Take him and he ends up like McDowell, backlash will be severe (“told you so”).

Pass on him and he ends up being AD 2.0, then you were smart and based it off what he can bring to the field.

Sigh….each pick is a risk. But, after we’ve been burned a few times, I’m not feeling taking a “risk” as much as in the past.

While I agree with you, I think Carter is EXACTLY the kind of pick John and Pete would make at 5 if we pick at 5.

Upside is too much of a value to pass on the red flags, that I assume Pete as the eternal optimist thinks he and his locker room/player leaders can fix.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I know he had/has stuff going on but for most kids, the combine and pro day are the defining events.

He was not working out. You don’t gain 10 pounds of muscle in that timeframe.

I have sympathy for him because of the incident but, it was a poor choice at a very critical period in his life. Similarly, the combine and pro day are the culmination of all the previous work.

We all have to trust PC and JS. They will obviously drill down into all of this. If they take him, I’m assuming it won’t be another McDowell situation. As the position is a huge need of ours, I’d be happy with it.

But, just based off of what we have seen and heard (rumor or not), I’m not taking this dude at 5 if I’m GM. Of course, as an average, everyday fan, I really don’t know shit 🤣.

This draft buildup is nuts!!
I was referring to in the playoff vs OSU. He even said he went and did wind sprints to try and get in shape before the title game.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
What does this have to do with the word "disinformation."

Disinformation means the reservations teams are having about Carter either aren't true, or there's a concerted effort to misinform teams so he falls.

Neither is true, he's earned all the reservations so far. Doesn't mean he's not an elite talent, but you're using the wrong word.
Disinformation is the right description. People and teams have much to gain by skewing the process and hoping to alter the draft, one way or the other. Teams have reservations about every player, but they make public what they want others to believe. Is Seattle genuinely interested in a QB or are they trying to create a fear that could drive a trade. Have the Seahawks met with Jalen and told him if you're there at five were taking you or said privately we're not touching that kid with a 10' pole.

It's all Kabuki theater.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Disinformation is the right description. People and teams have much to gain by skewing the process and hoping to alter the draft, one way or the other. Teams have reservations about every player, but they make public what they want others to believe. Is Seattle genuinely interested in a QB or are they trying to create a fear that could drive a trade. Have the Seahawks met with Jalen and told him if you're there at five were taking you or said privately we're not touching that kid with a 10' pole.

It's all Kabuki theater.

This is not a semantical debate. The word disinformation means "false."

So unless you've got some comments or evidence about FALSE information that's come out about Carter, there's not really anything to debate here.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
While I agree with you, I think Carter is EXACTLY the kind of pick John and Pete would make at 5 if we pick at 5.

Upside is too much of a value to pass on the red flags, that I assume Pete as the eternal optimist thinks he and his locker room/player leaders can fix.

Coaches historically do better without prima Donna attitude high up. You pick in the top 10, you assume this Sort of player will put Aside whatever personal adversity. As opposed to showing up 10 pounds heavier and gassed as Carter did.

Seattle taking him at 5 would just reinforce the lack of consequences he’s faced so far.

Leave the combine bc Cops have a warrant, the court stays open at night just for you. No biggie, minimal irl consequences. Show up fat and gassed to 27 teams watching your pro day, not a problem either. We pick him, it’s where he likely would have gone had the racing never happened and if he had shown out on his pro day.

How can we get Jalen to realize that there are consequences when the signing proves that there are not? Personally, I think hed do far better on the Bears as the message would have been sent that he slipped some

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
This is not a semantical debate. The word disinformation means "false."

So unless you've got some comments or evidence about FALSE information that's come out about Carter, there's not really anything to debate here.
I can’t prove it, but I have a gut feeling that Poles (under strong pressure from Eberflus) intends to draft Carter but has been acting ambivalent about it in a recent interview so as not to signal the Lions of his true intentions and/or add anything that might raise their confidence in drafting him. If I am right, that is a false statement he’s putting out, but they all do it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Coaches historically do better without prima Donna attitude high up. You pick in the top 10, you assume this Sort of player will put Aside whatever personal adversity. As opposed to showing up 10 pounds heavier and gassed as Carter did.

Seattle taking him at 5 would just reinforce the lack of consequences he’s faced so far.

Leave the combine bc Cops have a warrant, the court stays open at night just for you. No biggie, minimal irl consequences. Show up fat and gassed to 27 teams watching your pro day, not a problem either. We pick him, it’s where he likely would have gone had the racing never happened and if he had shown out on his pro day.

How can we get Jalen to realize that there are consequences when the signing proves that there are not? Personally, I think hed do far better on the Bears as the message would have been sent that he slipped some

There are lots of examples of players who had similar high school and college issues, and came to good organizations and matured and played well. A couple on our own team, Bruce Irvin and Lynch.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, there's certainly a risk with Carter. My point is we know Pete well enough to know he's an optimist when it comes to thinking he can overcome a player's maturity and transgressions if he thinks the upside is worth it.

And damn does Carter have a big upside.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
There are lots of examples of players who had similar high school and college issues, and came to good organizations and matured and played well. A couple on our own team, Bruce Irvin and Lynch.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, there's certainly a risk with Carter. My point is we know Pete well enough to know he's an optimist when it comes to thinking he can overcome a player's maturity and transgressions if he thinks the upside is worth it.

That seems reasonable. My worry, as a Bears fan, is that the Lions take him to team up with Hutchinson.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Marshawn had experienced consequences before his trade. Bruce experienced them here.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jalen left a Strip Club at 02:30AM, with a friend that he had to have known was drunk, that was illegally driving UGA's Ford Expedition, with 3 passengers, and that she'd had multiple speeding tickets, which UGA staff "mitigated," per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

He then proceeded to race, putting his 707HP Trackhawk up against UGA's Ford Expedition, doing 105MPH in a RESIDENTIAL area, repeatedly driving in to oncoming traffic.

Henry Ruggs the 2nd. Do you want your team and your front office to be responsible for drafting that guy? Who cares if he busts. I'm worried about the innocent people he'll run over with his 707 Horses. Or maybe he'll just instigate a race then plead innocent when someone else gets killed.

Jalen has a history of speeding, and the football players got special treatment. You can see it in the video of him getting pulled over, the police officer said he pulled over several football players that day, and knew them all by name, and he asked them to "slow down."

And why Jalen had his cell phone in his lap is beyond me. A $90,000 Jeep Trackhawk has Bluetooth, and you can throw your phone in the glove box and still have full access to it without letting go of the steering wheel. The only thing you can't do with the phone put away, is text while driving.

I've got a 2019 Ford Ranger, and I just hit a button on my steering wheel to answer or hang up, or to change songs on my phone via Bluetooth. Safe and simple. Much simpler than actually handling the phone.

No, this is NOT a guy you draft at #5, not even in the 1st round. I wouldn't touch him.

And to think that Mike Salk compares himself racing his buddy on the way to school with that incident. Was his buddy drunk driving with passengers in a residential area doing 105 and driving in to oncoming traffic?

I did a lot of racing in my day, but we raced on old abandoned, or little used roads because we didn't want to get caught. Apparently Georgia football players don't have any such worries.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Well, we had to deal with his drug suspension.
A lot of people flunk out of college. Especially the ones that get a free ride.
I have no problem with anyone burglarizing drug dealers. It's dangerous, but the only one who is in danger is the perpetrator.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
A lot of people flunk out of college. Especially the ones that get a free ride.
I have no problem with anyone burglarizing drug dealers. It's dangerous, but the only one who is in danger is the perpetrator.

Brah, im talking about the league Issued ped one.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
What's your evidence for a Prima Donna attitude in Carter?

He seemed to disappear a lot mentally If not physically in the game. He’s the type who naturally wants to get away with things, who can’t see warnings. Because he’s succeeded without them.

Last edited:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
He seemed to disappear a lot mentally If not physically in the game. He’s the type who naturally wants to get away with things, who can’t see warnings.
One would think that if someone on a football team has a Prima Donna attitude, at least one other person on that team would mention it. When you find that person and get a quote, I might start taking the "Prima Donna" accusation seriously. Otherwise, methinks you are misusing the term "Prima Donna" to bolster your beliefs about Carter.

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
He seemed to disappear a lot mentally If not physically in the game. He’s the type who naturally wants to get away with things, who can’t see warnings. Because he’s succeeded without them.
So you are in his head to make the analysis that "he seemed to disappear mentally if not physically in a game"
Come on man, you really are grasping to fit your agenda. Geez

Latest posts