Jalen Carter

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Man, I would not want to be in JS and PC shoes. Pass on the guy that many thought was the #1 prospect in this years draft not long ago at a position of need and watch him become the next Aaron Donald or take him at #5 and have him never pan out. I go back and forth on whether I think the Hawks should draft him multiple times in the same day. I have to remind myself sometimes that the dude is 21 years old. I think back to when I was 21 and just thank god that I wasn't under the microscope that these guys are under. Saying that, hard to believe the guy couldn't keep his shit together for a couple months before the draft and insure himself a comfortable existence for the rest of his life but again...he is 21...I have a feeling that the Hawks are going to draft him at #5 with the idea that he can turn around this blip in the radar and become someone that other teams have to game plan around that makes the rest of the defense better.
Remember in todays college football, these stars are making money as well.

Hype, star attention, money, give this to most 20 year olds in college and bad things are certainly going to happen.

Carter may very well be legit and whatever team gets him, may get him for incredible value.

Chevy

Reaction score
Jalen Carter has been on a rollcoster ride with my thoughts of him as a prospect. The last day or so, I have tried to make a case to draft him (in my own mind) at #5 or maybe a trade down with the Raiders at #7 and take him there. On the field Carter does have a high motor, but the conditioning is lacking. I can forgive that more than I can forgive Will Anderson who is ripped and doesn't have a high motor, gives up on plays too quickly.

The Seahawks brought in a pass rushing stud at DT/DE in Dre' Mont Jones and run stopping beast Jarran Reed. Our proven DTs leadership our on team will help Carter to be a more professional/responsible football player off the field. They can help instill a work ethic in Carter.

Imagine Carter focused with being a professional (better cardio), and Dre'Mont Jones playing opposite of him! Good luck finding better starting 3-4 DEs in the NFL.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I have been on the do not draft Carter list going back to the college season when I saw him sucking wind for as little as he plays and when he is in the game taking plays off if I am making a player a top draft pick football has to be a priority and wanting to succeed. His college teammate Jordan Davis also suffers from the conditioning bug who so far I would call a bust.

OP
OP
TheLegendOfBoom

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I have been on the do not draft Carter list going back to the college season when I saw him sucking wind for as little as he plays and when he is in the game taking plays off if I am making a player a top draft pick football has to be a priority and wanting to succeed. His college teammate Jordan Davis also suffers from the conditioning bug who so far I would call a bust.
I wonder if there is something within the Georgia team that has their players not in the best shape.

But I guess, it matters little, cause they they are always contenders and have two recent championships.

Imagine how good these players could be if they were intent and focused on conditioning and proper dieting.

But, at the same time, they should need everything to be perfect for them to WANT to take care of their bodies, eat correctly and purposely, in order to be in the best shape they can be.

We’ll see where Carter ends up.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I wonder if there is something within the Georgia team that has their players not in the best shape.

But I guess, it matters little, cause they they are always contenders and have two recent championships.
In their pursuit of National Championships, the Bulldogs program has earned a reputation of having a lot of low-character individuals, including the likes of Adam Anderson - multiple sexual assault accusations - and Devonte Wyatt - domestic violence issues. Other players who have had character concerns included Steelers wide receiver George Pickens. This year, Bulldogs left tackle Broderick Jones also has character issues, according to some team sources.
https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Multiple-Teams-Are-Removing-Jalen-Carter

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
Let's not forget Tez also had work ethic and weight struggles, although mostly in college, but still a bit of an issue in the beginning of his NFL careeer. I think he worked out okay.

"When Kennedy first reported for Hurricanes practice, they made him run a 20-minute conditioning test. He thought he’d ace it without breaking a sweat.

He was dead wrong.

Cortez Kennedy, a future eight-time Pro Bowler in the National Football League, couldn’t make it past the five-minute mark

“I was tired,” Kennedy said in his Pro Football Hall of Fame induction speech some 25 years later. “I thought I was seeing cowboys and Indians.”
Kennedy was on the verge of quitting. Fortunately, one of the Miami assistant coaches urged him not to —it was never an option at the University of Miami.

Kennedy told him he wouldn’t quit and somehow finished the conditioning test.

Cortez Kennedy gave credit to his college teammate and future Miami Hurricanes head football coach Randy Shannon for improving his work ethic on the gridiron.

Kennedy admitted that his work ethic left much to be desired when he first played for the Hurricanes. Shannon took it upon himself to help Kennedy—he slept on Kennedy’s apartment floor and trained him during the summer months."

warden

Reaction score
I think the team drafts Wilson. They really like guys that they can bounce around the line

Ozzy

Reaction score
If Carter gets drafted and ends up being a bust because all of the rumors are true then Pete/John deserve any criticism thrown at them. Normally I'm on board with gambling on talent but when you say over and over again that you will not compromise on this stuff and its why last years draft was so good only to do the exact opposite the next year you're going to hear about it.

He's a freak talent but the risk seems crazy. Rich Eisen reported that multiple people said it was one of the worst pro days in recent memory.

I'm a fan so if we get him I'll be excited and hope for the best BUT I think its a risk not worth taking.

Man this draft is fascinating for so many reasons.

HawksNation

Reaction score
Carter's bail was $4000. How much "book" can they throw at you for two misdemeanors?
IF he can play up to his hype I think he's worth the pick. He is young enough all this stuff has to be making a serious impression on him. Kids generally learn pretty quick. He'll come out of all this a better young man and likely have his nose to the grindstone with serious intent.
I can't explain his lack of stats. How did he get such a huge reputation without producing some compelling play?

“ We like guys who have faced adversity”
JS after he drafts Carter

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
He's a freak talent…
I see this repeated reflexively by both pro & anti draft Carter posters. Where’s the evidence?

I don’t watch tape, but I’ve seen his highlight reels that are nice, but nothing earth shattering.

His career stats are pedestrian, his snap counts are low, his conditioning is god awful, and we have no Jordan Davis like testing numbers to wow us.

Why all the hype? Is it simply the G on the helmet and being the tallest of the D line Pygmies this year?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
You know the more I think about Jalen Carter the more I think what he did was really stupid sure. But how many players, especially those from poor backgrounds, start having success in college, start getting paid on the side, and do something stupid? In most cases we don't hear about it because they don't get caught.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I see this repeated reflexively by both pro & anti draft Carter posters. Where’s the evidence?

I don’t watch tape, but I’ve seen his highlight reels that are nice, but nothing earth shattering.

His career stats are pedestrian, his snap counts are low, his conditioning is god awful, and we have no Jordan Davis like testing numbers to wow us.

Why all the hype? Is it simply the G on the helmet and being the tallest of the D line Pygmies this year?

It's a fair point. I'm just trusting multiple people who scout saying so. But I have mentioned in the past his 6 career stats bother me as well as him not being able to stay on the field and how he played this past college playoff series.

CactusJack

Reaction score
It's a fair point. I'm just trusting multiple people who scout saying so. But I have mentioned in the past his 6 career stats bother me as well as him not being able to stay on the field and how he played this past college playoff series.
The way I view it, there's a significant gap between Carter & the next guy. Will Anderson is a no brainer pick. He's someone who should make the Pro Bowl on a yearly basis. But if he's not an option for us, then you're essentially deciding between Carter (Elite talent) vs. The field.

Yes, there's risk with Carter. But do you choose to take a good player (Tyree Wilson), who will contribute. Or decide to go with the guy who has All-Pro type potential with an unlimited ceiling. But also questionable character. This is something that teams will have to weigh.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score
The way I view it, there's a significant gap between Carter & the next guy. Will Anderson is a no brainer pick. He's someone who should make the Pro Bowl on a yearly basis. But if he's not an option for us, then you're essentially deciding between Carter (Elite talent) vs. The field.

Yes, there's risk with Carter. But do you choose to take a good player (Tyree Wilson), who will contribute. Or decide to go with the guy who has All-Pro type potential with an unlimited ceiling. But also questionable character. This is something that teams will have to weigh.
Another fair point. With a top 5 pick I don't want a good player who will contribute I want a potential star, especially since we never get a pick this high. Gonna be fun huh?

Anajimmc

Reaction score

And remember, choosing Wilson does not eliminate risk.

12th Dimension

Reaction score
I’m going to trust Pete and John but I also think Carter has a known history of poor decisions(s). He needs to ace the interview. Even then, going from #3 to #5 is a very small price for multiple red flags.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Here's the thing, Jalen left the Strip Club with the people he was racing. He HAD to have known the driver was drunk, he definitely knew she was driving a borrowed vehicle not suitable for racing...and he raced them anyway!

If at any time he had backed off on the racing, odds are the drunk driver with several passengers would have too.

By continuing the race, and going in to oncoming traffic, I feel that he is partially responsible for those deaths. But it seems football players get off easy, especially when they win the Championship. Gotta make things look good to the next set of prospects.

a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk vs a Ford Expedition...

A little about the Trackhawk:

The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk Starting at $91,665

The Trackhawk has a 707-hp supercharged Hellcat V-8 under the hood, it's not only the most powerful Jeep ever built, it's one of the most powerful SUVs in the world.

Trackhawk's all-wheel-drive traction allows the Jeep to virtually teleport to 60 mph in 3.4 seconds

12forlife

Reaction score
If we get do pick Carter, we should get Al Woods back too so he can keep in one of Carter's ears and JReed the other...
Are we just paying Dre'Mont to be a pretty face? Jones, Mazi Smith, Carter could be a wild front 3!