Jalen Carter stick a fork in him

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
UPDATE ON JALEN:

Listening to Brock & Salk, per Mike Salk, "Jalen did not leave the scene of the accident early. He was given permission by the officer on scene to leave."

This makes a big difference in my mind because there were people dead/dying and if he had left that early, without permission, I had real trouble with that. But he had permission, so the whole thing is much less troubling to me.

Listening to Paul Moyer, he says at that age (and he's right), when a terrible accident happens like that, a young person can go one of two ways, they will avoid life, OR, they will go full blast a life. And if Jalen started avoiding his life's responsibilities, gained weight, and performed terribly at his Pro Day, I can see that.

I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to being judgmental, and i suppose Malik McDowell has left a big scar on my draft risk taking ability. But with this new information, and knowing that GM's and Coaches have much more access to information than I do, and that Schneider probably still feels the Malik burn, I'm going to leave this one up to their judgement.

In my early 20s, that could have easily been me.

knownone

Reaction score
It's important to remember this is a 21-year-old kid dealing with a tragic event and a great deal of media/legal scrutiny for his involvement in the tragedy, all while carrying the expectation of performing like an elite prospect in workouts. Unfortunately, gaining weight or failing to meet expectations is common in a stressful situations. And that stress is magnified, given the misleading coverage of his involvement in the accident. So none of these recent red flags indicate who he is as a football player or a person and are more than likely a product of his current situation.

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
What if, Carter is sucking and showing bad, so the Falcons can pick him and he stays home with his homies.

NoGain

Reaction score
No effing way at #5, maybe take a flyer on him with our late 2nd round pick if he's there (highly doubtful). It's not just the accident thing, it's that he clearly is lacking in the discipline/desire department. He's already proven that he's not committed to being in shape, even when he's playing on a high profile team in contention for a natty, even when millions of dollars are on the line when considering his draft stock. Hard pass.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
On one hand I am very disheartened by Carter's actions during this offseason etc, but on the other hand I cannot think of a coach who could deal with discipline and desire issues better than PC. The biggest question in my mind is trying to equate his on field performance to actual performance rather than potential. When applying a critical eye he doesn't seem to score all that high in either case.
My Carter bandwagon has a wheel that is leaking badly.

Boohman14

Reaction score
I have to wonder how much negative press on Carter is generated by teams lower in the draft. The secondary gain being that the higher selecting team will pass on him and he falls to them. Kind of like the buzz around Metcalf saying he can't run routs.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
This is where I land on Jalen Carter.

He's young and enabled. He's going through the ringer in the media (right after riding high from a second championship.) He's been arrested, he's had legal issues, and I think it's normal for a young man in his 20s to lose focus.

But (as the video below goes into) he seems like a good kid on the field and a good teammate.

And now that he can't be further charged in the accident, I think that wipes the legal concerns off the board.

If Seattle does their homework and drafts him, I can see why. Using your scholarship to pay for a teammates lunch who didn't have lunch covered speaks volumes to me. And by all accounts, he's loved by his teammates.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
No no no, smoke, fire, like not with our young core guys, you need strong leadership dudes and Carter just seems like a guy relying on his talent not work ethic amd other intangables.

Ozzy

Reaction score
So he played hurt in 2022? His 2021 stat was almost identical to his 2022's?

View attachment 58270

For fun, this was our Jarran Reed when he played NT for Bama, more tackles, less sacks or for loss. But Reed was not a first rounder.
View attachment 58273

The idea he “performed all year” id argue isn’t true. He didn’t look good in the playoff games and his career numbers would be shockingly less than other dominant interior guys numbers were in college. 6 career sacks and he’s a generational talent? Doesn’t seem right to me. I have zero doubts he’s extremely talented and maybe on par with the guys he’s being compared to. But his numbers aren’t great, he has a history of being out of shape and the other stuff that happened. I don’t think he’s a bad kid at all but if I’m investing millions it would be dumb to say he doesn’t have some serious question makes regardless of the crash incident

Ozzy

Reaction score
This is where I land on Jalen Carter.

He's young and enabled. He's going through the ringer in the media (right after riding high from a second championship.) He's been arrested, he's had legal issues, and I think it's normal for a young man in his 20s to lose focus.

But (as the video below goes into) he seems like a good kid on the field and a good teammate.

And now that he can't be further charged in the accident, I think that wipes the legal concerns off the board.

If Seattle does their homework and drafts him, I can see why. Using your scholarship to pay for a teammates lunch who didn't have lunch covered speaks volumes to me. And by all accounts, he's loved by his teammates.

Ye really does seem like a good dude. His lack of production for being a generational talent. And falling out of shape multiple times is what worries me

knownone

Reaction score
Carter's production is hard to gauge because his counting stats are not outstanding. But what's confusing is that PFF and Next Gen Stats still rate his production among the elite in almost every category. For example, PFF has him #2 in pass rush win rate behind Kancey.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
If the player doesn't have the fire. Nobody can coach that into them. NOBODY.

Except on film, all I’ve seen is fire. Taking up triple teams to free up pass rush, chasing plays up and down the line, etc.

Again, gauging “fire” off his pro day is like gauging someones job performance the day before a funeral. (His plea deal wasn’t done until the day after.)

We get fooled by this stuff every single draft. Myles Garrett was famously questioned for his football passion because he had other interests outside of football. Were Michael Bennett and Cliff Avril less effective players because they took a heavy interest in finance during their playing career? (Go listen to Cliff on the KJ Wright Show)

And on the contrary, let’s remember all the pro days that fooled people. Jamarcus Russell probably the most infamous.

I find is silly that two data points and Todd McShay have empowered the entire media and every NFL fan to tear down a young man—when many people made mistakes that young, have felt the stress of legal matters hanging over their day to day, and no one has been so hyper scrutinized through their experiences by millions of people.

Seattle might not draft Carter. But there’s absolutely a scenario where we look back in a few seasons and bash Pete and John for letting him go by. Because like Schneider said on Wyman and Bob, you have to figure out a players whole story, not just chapters ABC. Carter’s in a tough spot right now. How’s he going to come back now that his charges are addressed and once the media attention fades? That’s what John and Pete have to answer.

CPHawk

Reaction score
When SF lands this guy and he kicks our ass twice a year, I’ll link this thread to the game thread.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
When SF lands this guy and he kicks our ass twice a year, I’ll link this thread to the game thread.
No. It won’t be SF. It’s going to be the Lions, and Bears fans will be suffering because the Seahawks didn’t take him at #5 and Poles didn’t take the Colts offer for #4.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
And when we draft him and he turns out to be an unmotivated disappointment from the 5th OA pick, will you point fingers at the Team for choosing him when the signs of that lack of motivation were already apparently there???

This is tough decision the team might have to make if he falls to 5. After a sizeable trade back or at 20 I’d take likely a chance even though I’d know he could be a character risk or a player who doesn’t fit the ‘always compete’ mold the the team lives by. Regardless the issue of character and his desire seems to be forefront. Still in reality we truly don’t know much more than the limited media excerpts that forms the basis of our opinions.

I’m with Aros and would be amazed if the team could get both him and Anderson.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
No. It won’t be SF. It’s going to be the Lions, and Bears fans will be suffering because the Seahawks didn’t take him at #5 and Poles didn’t take the Colts offer for #4.
For what it’s worth Lions are saying Carter is on their do not draft list. I can see a veteran and talented team like Philly taking a chance on him. I am not taking in consideration what has happened recently that much but what has happened leading up with the lack of conditioning during the season, lack of a consistent motor and laying an egg against Ohio State. For a player who is as highly regarded as Carter his stats are underwhelming. I am surprised his agent let him workout during the Georgia Pro Day knowing how out of shape he is the agent could have just said Carter is sick and nobody would be talking about how bad he looked.