Jachai Polite

themunn

Reaction score
CPHawk":19ukx39o said:
RiverDog":19ukx39o said:
Seahawkwalt1967":19ukx39o said:
If anyone can mentor him it’s Coach Carrol.

The last time I heard somebody making that argument, we had just gotten through trading for Percy Harvin.

So you missed all the people saying that about Frank Clark when we drafted him?

I'm all for Polite being given a chance, but Clark is a poor comparison - there was absolutely no question around anything except the DV charge, not the same as turning up out of shape or late etc. But the good thing is that these can also be fixed, because if you don't play you don't get PAID.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
People can change.

They rarely do.

You either have a work ethic or you don't. You either love football or you play for paychecks.

This isn't as bad as Harvin, but this is the typical Seahawk attitude of thinking guys that have problems elsewhere will just magically change because they have a cool bird logo on their helmet now.

It rarely works. I hate it when they do this. AND THEY DO THIS ALL THE TIME.

Thank god this is a practice squad guy. Because usually, this kind of screw up is something they do when they bet on FAs or trade for them. At least, this time the worst that happens is we lose one practice squad slot.

Now, if the guy was nursing an injury or some other ailment, I could see it. But the book on this guy goes way back to college, he isn't likely to change.

I am all for Carroll seeing if he can spin straw into gold. By all means, do it with PS players that were released instead of trading for or signing each season for the morons and malcontents. If this helps scratch Carroll's itch to be able to try and mold greatness out of god-help-us-all?

No complaints.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the Polite thing to say is Pete and Clint will give him a chance and his to lose.

hawksfan35

Reaction score
Personally I love this addition - all week I have been watching his highlights on YouTube - playing in the SEC every week has to count for something - if he can get his head on straight I LOVE this addition, young, potential, originally mocked a first round pick so the talent is there - LOVE IT

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There is only one real upside here Pandion.

It allows Carroll to get whatever he has in his system out so we do not try this with more expensive failures.

But there is no real upside of this working out.

And it sucks for the kid that should be on the roster but won't because some guy with no actual production or work ethic, wins it because of 'potential' even though most of that potential has a close to zero chance of being realized.

But if it makes Carroll happy and that is his indulgence? Ok fine.

(Just let's hope we never see it again with real players playing for bigger dollars.)

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Hmm. Can we say the same thing about Jazz Ferguson?

4 Star recruit. Top 100 recruit. Pledged LSU.
Suspended for two failed drug tests
Flunked out of LSU
Signed with Northeastern...last chance U
Had a reality conversation with an assistant at Northeastern. Turned himself around.

Then...showed up at Hawks rookie camp out of shape. Perhaps, disappointed he went undrafted? PC called him out. Showed up, in sharp, at TC.

Polite had a reality conversation with Hurtt.

Let’s see if he can get his mind right, like Ferguson.

James in PA

Reaction score
Over $100K in fines for violating team rules?! I’m sorry, but this guy doesn’t sound very “polite” to me.

HEY-OH!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDog

Reaction score
themunn":38glmn7q said:
CPHawk":38glmn7q said:
RiverDog":38glmn7q said:
Seahawkwalt1967":38glmn7q said:
If anyone can mentor him it’s Coach Carrol.

The last time I heard somebody making that argument, we had just gotten through trading for Percy Harvin.

So you missed all the people saying that about Frank Clark when we drafted him?

I'm all for Polite being given a chance, but Clark is a poor comparison - there was absolutely no question around anything except the DV charge, not the same as turning up out of shape or late etc. But the good thing is that these can also be fixed, because if you don't play you don't get PAID.

Thank you. Frank Clark didn't have near the red flags Percy Harvin had, in particular, I never saw Clark chase down his head coach on the sidelines in the middle of a game to read him the riot act.

I'm also not saying that signing Polite to the practice squad is a bad decision, and I, too, am good with giving him a chance. It's just the practice squad, and he'll have to earn the confidence of his coaches and teammates before we hitch our wagon to him. I'm confident that Pete will keep him on a short leash and trust his judgment as to whether to bring him up to the main roster, but I am not confident that Pete can tame a shrew as many thought he could when we brought in Harvin. This guy is a head case.

chris98251

Reaction score
That and it is PS and not a long term contract on the Roster with Bonuses and all that. As stated above they told him you have a chance, blow it and you will be gone.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Pete traded for LenDale White, the thunder to Reggie Bush’s lightning, the first year he coached in Seattle. He cut him shortly thereafter because LenDale didn't want to work and compete hard enough. Pete then had John trade for Marshawn.

Polite will get his chance, but if he doesn't show effort he’ll be jettisoned.

RiverDog

Reaction score
chris98251":1tf5v828 said:
That and it is PS and not a long term contract on the Roster with Bonuses and all that. As stated above they told him you have a chance, blow it and you will be gone.

We don't know what they told him. They could have blew him kisses for all we know.

The practice squad is a perfect place for Polite. He gets a 2nd chance and ought to feel damn lucky that he didn't completely tear up his lottery ticket while we are in the position to have a very low risk, high reward player in our fold. But I wouldn't hold my breath on his chances to overcome his demons. From my experience, once an A-hole, always an A-hole.

Ruminator

Reaction score
RiverDog":nvstibnk said:
chris98251":nvstibnk said:

We don't know what they told him. They could have blew him kisses for all we know.

The practice squad is a perfect place for Polite. He gets a 2nd chance and ought to feel damn lucky that he didn't completely tear up his lottery ticket while we are in the position to have a very low risk, high reward player in our fold. But I wouldn't hold my breath on his chances to overcome his demons. From my experience, once an A-hole, always an A-hole.

Certain players who have egregious knuckleheaded decisions in their history and/or who have difficult temperaments have been able to put stupid largely on hold for a time while being affiliated with a certain team, only to revert to their former poor decision-making selves after being released. Brandon Browner and Jerramy Stephens, for example. So that would at least be the minimum we can hope for with Polite. Be cool while you'e a Seahawk, and hopefully beyond as well.

devilhawk88

Reaction score
I don’t know this kid but I do know that he just turned 21 and has been treated like the man all through college and probably before. There’s a lot of growing up he has to do but who at 21 didn’t have that? I was 4 years into the Marines as a team leader in a mg section and I can say emphatically that there is probably no place where you’re required to have more discipline then in the Marine Corps Infantry but that didn’t mean that guys weren’t constantly trying to ruin their lives with terrible decision making. Stop talking down on him so much because he is with your favorite team now.

RiverDog

Reaction score
devilhawk88":3h61bb7f said:
I don’t know this kid but I do know that he just turned 21 and has been treated like the man all through college and probably before. There’s a lot of growing up he has to do but who at 21 didn’t have that?

Bad decisions are one thing, but a lack of respect for authority and one's elders on the magnitude that Polite has displayed is truly exceptional even for 21 year olds. Remember, we're not talking about being late for one or two meetings. Polite racked up over $100k in fines, 10% of his signing bonus, for various disciplinary issues. That's a little more than just a bad decision or two.

devilhawk88":3h61bb7f said:
Stop talking down on him so much because he is with your favorite team now.

First off, please don't tell others how to behave. All the comments that I've read in this thread are within acceptable limits IMO. "Talking down" is what us fans do.

Secondly, it's because he's on my favorite team that I'm looking at him with suspicious eyes. After his turbulent time with the Jets, he's going to have to show us that the reputation that has preceded his arrival was undeserved.

James in PA

Reaction score
Welp, guess that experiment is over. Released today by the Hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk