Jachai Polite

mikeak

Reaction score
Rookie minimum contract is $480k. That is $30k per game / week.

Minimal risk if he is moved up to active roster.

kf3339

Reaction score
If being conisdered a possible 1st round pick, falling to the third round, getting cut at the end of preseason and having no better potential offer than a practice squad player doesn't wake this kid up, then nothing will.

He should consider himself on notice to straighten himself out quick, or he will be out of pro football in no time. Hope he gets it and shows some maturity. He has the potential.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
kf3339":1p1hltdk said:
If being conisdered a possible 1st round pick, falling to the third round, getting cut at the end of preseason and having no better potential offer than a practice squad player doesn't wake this kid up, then nothing will.

He should consider himself on notice to straighten himself out quick, or he will be out of pro football in no time. Hope he gets it and shows some maturity. He has the potential.

^this

Some people learn their lessons quickly while others take time. Some people unfortunately never learn their lessons and it ends up hurting them in ways that they can’t comprehend. What is this kids background? What’s his intelligence like? Does he have a support system or is he just a kid with a physical gift thinking he doesn’t need help or advice from anyone? I hope he gets his $#|+ together for his sake and as a potential help to this team. He’s 21. Still lots of growing up to do!

GeekHawk

Reaction score
So, this kid was *released* by the Jets and the only team that offered him anything would only let him sign to the practice squad? He pretty much saw his (I assume) life-long dream of playing in the NFL evaporate before his very eyes, and then he got a faint glimmer of hope back? If this doesn't wake his ass up nothing will. It won't be on Pete and the staff, this rests squarely on the kid.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Pete is good at helping these young men grow up if they want to grow up, so are Coaches Norton and Hurd.

Low risk, potentially high reward PS signing. A potential rough diamond combing from the scrap pile.

If he stays for more than month the team will heave seen a change of attitude on his part and a buying in to being a pro football player.

rcaido

Reaction score
i watch his highlights and wow! Very nice high reward low risk pickup

Chawker

Reaction score
I'm thinking that alot of these young kids are so use to put there hand on the ground and rushing the QBs, that once drafted they are finding it hard to adapt to playing the LBer position. 250 lbs is a good size for a NFL LBer yet a bit to lite for a DE. Not heavy enough to play the run or anchor the point.

NFL teams need to learn, let the kid start off with his comfort zone, then slowly work him into a new position. I believe that this would work out better for both parties.

Polite is a pass rusher by trade.

Cheers

ivotuk

Reaction score
The Jets are a poor organization. When Troymaine Pope came back here from NY, his comment was "They lazy!" The players weren't given much discipline, and their poorest character defects came to the fore. That was one of the problems with Sheldon Richardson. A phenomenal talent, but IIRC, it was 710 that was saying that Sheldon "did not do his job," and instead freelanced. Which is why he was not re-signed.

Somebody like Jachai Polite needs discipline and structure to succeed. Something he did not get in Florida, or New York.

Helping young men find success in their lives is something that Pete Carroll specializes in, as shown by his "Better LA" program he started while at USC, going in to rough neighborhoods at night, and speaking with young people, trying to give them direction. That is amazing dedication.

Pete has had some notable successes, and failures, but he's willing to give them a chance. Sure he will take a chance on a player based on talent, but he devotes time to all of his players, using older, more disciplined players as an example.

Then there's is coaching staff, which if these young guys don't respect, they should. I would not want Ken Norton upset with me!

So despite failures, Pete keeps working at successes, not giving up on people because of a few failures. Malik McDowell was fortunate that he came to the Seahawks because they did their best to take care of him, in spite of his idiocy.

And even though some people might call MM a failure, he was given some direction, that hopefully he will follow, if not now, then maybe later on in life. His value though is the example that Pete, John, and the Seahawks set in trying to help the young man with his troubles outside of football.

Most teams would have cut bait and felt good about themselves. But IMHO, Pete and Co. kept Malik around in order to make health insurance and benefits available to him.

The point? I hope that the point is that Jachai Polite sees where the failures went, and what his future could be if he lives with discipline, and works at his craft. Jachai can go from being a troubled young man, to a phenomenal success story...just like Frank Clark.

"I am not a Crook!" :229031_victory:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Seahawk_Dan":1l47gw1u said:
If he's not effective beyond 230lbs, but in college he was some kind of athletic freak, then do you change his position? Maybe try and convert him to Strong Safety? Kam was 230 himself. Admittedly I don't know much of Polite's profile or all his skill sets, so I'm not sure how feasible that is.
Calling @pehawk..........

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Seahawks defensive line coach Clint Hurtt said Wednesday that Polite is getting the chance to start anew in Seattle and leave a better impression with his new team.

“The only thing I said to him, I said ‘listen, I understand all the media articles are out there about what transpired in New York.’ I said ‘you’ve got a clean slate here with me.'” Hurtt said. “I said ‘don’t do anything that’s going to make me conjour up and recall the things that I heard. You got a new start, let’s move forward. We don’t deal with any of that foolishness here and if you’re not going to be the consummate pro and be where you’re supposed to be on-time, you don’t give me your undivided attention and work, you won’t be here long.’

“He was pretty good with that. He said ‘coach, I appreciate it. I’m trying to be better.’ I said, ‘well, I’m going to help you. You’re not going to be alone. If you want to do it, I’ll help you get it done.’ So he’s been good so far.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -seahawks/

I googled stories about this guy. He reported to the Combine over weight and out of shape. He was combative during the interview process. Then, he performed poorly at his pro day.

That said, this could be his wake up call and this isn't just a change in scenery, it has to do with how the team is run.

I have no idea how the NYJets operate, but organizational structure is different from one team to another. Duane Brown told Clowney he like the overall vibe here compared to his exeperience in Houston.

But, he needs to get his mind right and I really like the comments from his Dline coach and you know this is a consistent message he will hear from Norton & PC.

I like his chances here in Seattle.

sutz

Reaction score
truehawksfan":1ucm6y2z said:
Seahawks defensive line coach Clint Hurtt said Wednesday that Polite is getting the chance to start anew in Seattle and leave a better impression with his new team.

“The only thing I said to him, I said ‘listen, I understand all the media articles are out there about what transpired in New York.’ I said ‘you’ve got a clean slate here with me.'” Hurtt said. “I said ‘don’t do anything that’s going to make me conjour up and recall the things that I heard. You got a new start, let’s move forward. We don’t deal with any of that foolishness here and if you’re not going to be the consummate pro and be where you’re supposed to be on-time, you don’t give me your undivided attention and work, you won’t be here long.’

“He was pretty good with that. He said ‘coach, I appreciate it. I’m trying to be better.’ I said, ‘well, I’m going to help you. You’re not going to be alone. If you want to do it, I’ll help you get it done.’ So he’s been good so far.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -seahawks/

I googled stories about this guy. He reported to the Combine over weight and out of shape. He was combative during the interview process. Then, he performed poorly at his pro day.

That said, this could be his wake up call and this isn't just a change in scenery, it has to do with how the team is run.

I have no idea how the NYJets operate, but organizational structure is different from one team to another. Duane Brown told Clowney he like the overall vibe here compared to his exeperience in Houston.

But, he needs to get his mind right and I really like the comments from his Dline coach and you know this is a consistent message he will hear from Norton & PC.

I like his chances here in Seattle.
Pete believes in second chances. That filters down from the top, and coaches will follow the head coach's lead. It sounds good, and I trust our coaching staff to carry through on this. If the guy can change his behavior going forward, he'll have a chance to earn a place on the squad. If not, there are hundreds of guys out there waiting to take his spot.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seahawkwalt1967":30xjm0mw said:
If anyone can mentor him it’s Coach Carrol.

The last time I heard somebody making that argument, we had just gotten through trading for Percy Harvin.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
here is Polite's draft profile:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jachai-po ... 83363f62fb

He underwhelmed at the combine and seemed somewhat unmotivated to play for the Jets, to say the least. With Pete he gets a fresh start, this will allow him to either prove he's a knucklehead or display his talents and get raised to the 53.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Come on River, Pete has done well developing/giving chances to a LOT of players. You can't just pull out the Percy card. That dude was beyond help by ANY coach in the NFL.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":y8888guh said:
Come on River, Pete has done well developing/giving chances to a LOT of players. You can't just pull out the Percy card. That dude was beyond help by ANY coach in the NFL.

Exactly. The point is, if it can be done, PC would be the coach that would attempt it, and has the philosophy to make it work; but only if the player is all in. It won't be for lack of effort on the team's part. Personal responsibility plays the final role, just as in every decision of life.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RiverDog":36b43pkj said:
Seahawkwalt1967":36b43pkj said:

The last time I heard somebody making that argument, we had just gotten through trading for Percy Harvin.

Because we totally paid as much for Polite as we did for Harvin.

CPHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":v50i6xyp said:
Seahawkwalt1967":v50i6xyp said:

So you missed all the people saying that about Frank Clark when we drafted him?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":38eku4qn said:
RiverDog":38eku4qn said:
Seahawkwalt1967":38eku4qn said:

Because we totally paid as much for Polite as we did for Harvin.

Yeah there's little risk here, and therefore little expectations, unlike some of the other trades. That puts it all on the player to make it work.

That said, not sure PCs the best coach for reclamation projects. Could light a fire in the player, or fail to hit the right mark.

Again, though, up to the player. Team owes him nothing.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Didn’t Coach Hurtt say that?

We’ll help you. We’ll support you. But, you’ve got to be committed. You have to be all in.

Polite has been at practice, on time, this week so let’s see if he’s committed to putting in the work for the entire season.