I've changed my position on Drew Lock.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Tanking outright destroys team culture, chemistry, and the legitimacy of the organization.

It's not an option.
It's not like they would throw games on purpose and do stupid things in game, but when your plan is to trade your franchise QB you better have a plan in place going forward. Otherwise why not just keep him until his contract expires?
If the team expects to roll with Lock or some other below average option, you're basically sending the message to the team already of "hey guys, this year we're not going to do so hot, but the goal is to get us a kid in next year's draft." Right?

The Breh

Reaction score
We all witnessed a resurgent Ryan Tannehill after a team and culture switch with an accompanying solid running game.
By most accounts, Lock has a better arm than Tanny ever did.
I'm all for riding Lock until the lock gets picked one too many times.

BASF

Reaction score
It's not like they would throw games on purpose and do stupid things in game, but when your plan is to trade your franchise QB you better have a plan in place going forward. Otherwise why not just keep him until his contract expires?
Because getting good draft picks and good players that will be under contract for years is better than getting one comp pick for him when he signs elsewhere.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Because getting good draft picks and good players that will be under contract for years is better than getting one comp pick for him when he signs elsewhere.
True, but then what?
If Carroll and Schneider's endgame was to trade away our franchise QB for spare parts and unproven draft prospects, that seems like a major gamble.
They would've been far better suited to just give into Wilson's demands and make him happy and pay him whatever to keep him here, rather than trading him for unknown commodities and no plan at QB.
That's why I'm saying they should stink it up this year to get Young or Stroud. At least then we have a plan at QB. Drew Lock and Geno Smith is not a plan. Those guys are NFL failures that have proven they don't belong in this league, more specifically Geno. Lock has proven he can turn the ball over and has some flashes and that's it.
Even if Waldron is able to be the QB whisperer to Lock, he will only be a store brand version of Jared Goff at best, surrounded by a mediocre roster.

We need to get worse in order to get better. That was the whole point of trading Wilson, was it not? I mean, what are we really doing as a team then?
I feel like I'm the only one that sees what's going on here.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
True, but then what?
If Carroll and Schneider's endgame was to trade away our franchise QB for spare parts and unproven draft prospects, that seems like a major gamble.
They would've been far better suited to just give into Wilson's demands and make him happy and pay him whatever to keep him here, rather than trading him for unknown commodities and no plan at QB.
That's why I'm saying they should stink it up this year to get Young or Stroud. At least then we have a plan at QB.

Aren't Young and Stroud "unproven draft prospects" too? If you're trying to be logical, it's not working.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I haven't argued anything yet... just asking you to be consistent.
Ok? What have I said that's not consistent?

All I'm saying is that Pete and John better have had a plan in place when trading Wilson. Lock and Geno is not a plan. Since they didn't score Watson (thankfully) then their next plan has to be drafting a QB in 2023. Right? Otherwise, they should've just kept Wilson and made him happy. The Packers are still a contender because they have Rodgers. The Broncos are now instant contenders because they have Wilson.

My argument is, our next plan going forward, logically, would be to draft a top QB in 2023 to propel this team towards future championships. Yes, they are unproven, but the kids coming in 2023 are much higher rated PROSPECTS than in this 2022 draft. That's why we didn't take a QB in this year's draft.

We traded Wilson for draft capitol, a high potential tight end, a solid D tackle and a failed QB. You can't seriously think that Lock is our future QB and gives this team the best chance to win. That's why you're all against me here, since you're saying you want to win. You can't say you want to win, and be OK with Drew Lock or Geno Smith at QB. That's not logical. Therefore, this team's next move going forward would LOGICALLY be to draft a QB in 2023. With me so far?
Yes, they're unproven. I'm with you. But you guys can't be excited about the potential of Cross, Mafe and Walker III, and then shoot down the idea of getting Bryce Young or CJ Stroud in next year's draft.

OP
OP
W

Welshers

Ok? What have I said that's not consistent?

All I'm saying is that Pete and John better have had a plan in place when trading Wilson. Lock and Geno is not a plan. Since they didn't score Watson (thankfully) then their next plan has to be drafting a QB in 2023. Right? Otherwise, they should've just kept Wilson and made him happy. The Packers are still a contender because they have Rodgers. The Broncos are now instant contenders because they have Wilson.

My argument is, our next plan going forward, logically, would be to draft a top QB in 2023 to propel this team towards future championships. Yes, they are unproven, but the kids coming in 2023 are much higher rated PROSPECTS than in this 2022 draft. That's why we didn't take a QB in this year's draft.

We traded Wilson for draft capitol, a high potential tight end, a solid D tackle and a failed QB. You can't seriously think that Lock is our future QB and gives this team the best chance to win. That's why you're all against me here, since you're saying you want to win. You can't say you want to win, and be OK with Drew Lock or Geno Smith at QB. That's not logical. Therefore, this team's next move going forward would LOGICALLY be to draft a QB in 2023. With me so far?
Yes, they're unproven. I'm with you. But you guys can't be excited about the potential of Cross, Mafe and Walker III, and then shoot down the idea of getting Bryce Young or CJ Stroud in next year's draft.
Jerhawk I tried to say the same thing and the entire forum attacked me for daring say they might be trying to tank. Funnily enough 2 months ago everyone was demanding a tank for stroud and then suddenly sentiment here has changed. you are correct that they can tank without purposefully throwing games simply by not putting the best team out there which is what i tihnk is happening... it appears Pete may be playing the long game... although part of me still thinks he wants to win with lock

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Yeah I mean we're all Seahawks fans and we all want the team to win. Ad Hawk and others may have a different perspective on how the best route to win will be.

Hey, I hope Lock shuts me up and looks great out there, but I'm beyond skeptical that he will. This hand wringing over getting a QB in next year's draft just doesn't make sense to me, as that seems like the only path Pete and John have allowed themselves now.

sutz

Reaction score
I think the basic fault in your premise is in claiming that Pete and John don't have a plan. Just because you can't see what they view the future as doesn't mean they aren't working to the future. 🤷‍♂️

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Tanking is never an option. Pete would never entertain the idea and it detracts from our franchise as a whole. Look at the Jags they've been tanking since inception. Tanking is loser mentality we play to win end of story

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I think the basic fault in your premise is in claiming that Pete and John don't have a plan. Just because you can't see what they view the future as doesn't mean they aren't working to the future. 🤷‍♂️
Well, there's really no other option. The only way to get a franchise QB is to draft one or trade for one. Franchise QBs aren't available in free agency.
And we just traded ours. Who else is out there for them to get?
It's OK to have a down year in order to rebound.

If they're going into this training camp with a QB competition between Lock, Smith and Eason, maybe Lewis shows something, doubt it. Regardless if that's who's in our QB room to start the 2022 season, they're basically looking to tank this season anyway.

All right I'm done. I've explained my point into the ground and have faced nothing but resistance outside of my pal Welshers.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
10 wins guaranteed if Lock starts ripping dots on a rope to DK and Fant

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Well, there's really no other option. The only way to get a franchise QB is to draft one or trade for one. Franchise QBs aren't available in free agency.
And we just traded ours. Who else is out there for them to get?
It's OK to have a down year in order to rebound.

If they're going into this training camp with a QB competition between Lock, Smith and Eason, maybe Lewis shows something, doubt it. Regardless if that's who's in our QB room to start the 2022 season, they're basically looking to tank this season anyway.

All right I'm done. I've explained my point into the ground and have faced nothing but resistance outside of my pal Welshers.

It's not because you haven't explained your position. It's that your viewpoint isn't based on knowledge. You don't have the inside knowledge of the FO, their plan and purpose, direction, hopes, coaching-team input, etc. And I'm not arguing that they're going to make all the right choices--I'm simply saying you have no idea what their plan is, nor what could come out of it. The fact that you've already decided on your doubts means you'll reject evidence that Lewis could be good. You don't get the chance to see Lock, Lewis, Eason, or Smith in practice; you don't have any idea how much better these QBs (lesser in talent than RW, without a doubt!) will run the offensive gameplan. It's possible they'll do enough with a strong running game to be competitive in our games this year. And that means a "franchise QB" isn't as necessary as you believe. Thus why some of the rejection of your position.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Drew Lock will never be the answer. Everyone should just let that go. He's not going to surprise anyone, he is who he is. Doesn't mean we're going 0-16... we have playmakers and interesting pieces to watch that could make up for it. QB isn't everything, if Drew is serviceable enough we could be competitive.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
We all witnessed a resurgent Ryan Tannehill after a team and culture switch with an accompanying solid running game.
By most accounts, Lock has a better arm than Tanny ever did.
I'm all for riding Lock until the lock gets picked one too many times.
Pretty damn good point here

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Let em have a chance to go after it before trying to collectively pronounce them doomed to failure. Smith and Lock have some intrigue left in their game. I agree with those saying just being in the right system... the right culture.
I don't think Geno takes enough chances. If he would just sling it with a littlemore forthright, I think we got something. The knock on Drew Lock is interceptions. Hone him in a little bit. High percentage throws.