I've changed my position on Drew Lock.

W

Welshers

As the offseason has progressed and I've spent some more time learning about Drew Lock I would like to announce I have changed my position on him. I've realized I'm kind of a big thing in the Seahawks community, so I figured I owed it to my many fans to announce my new position. A lot of people on here are very reliant on my opinion so I am taking the time out of my busy day to make this selfless announcement.

At first I was under the impression that there is no chance of winning with the guy and the Hawks should do everything they could to get another QB. But with the steadfast faith Carroll has shown in him, I now believe we have a chance to win. He has the physical attributes and he's made some good plays in the NFL. With a new offense with a strong running game I think it's possible he could win games.

Formulas like this have worked to some degree of success before (note that both Case Keenum and Blake Bortles have made it to conference championships in recent years). Maybe we can win with this guy. I do not believe Carroll will want to tank at his age. I think he believes he can compete with Lock. And with Carrol's track record of being one of the most winning coaches in the NFL over the past decade, I think I owe him the benefit of the doubt to believe in Lock. I'd like to apologize to my fans for my negativity and restate my position.

Go Hawks

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
You're in your delusional optimism Spring of being a football fan.

Spring: Delusional optimism everyone on my team's really good no matter what people say.
Summer: Idk, I'm not liking how these pre-season games are going.
Fall: Oh man, I think we suck.
Winter: Yep, we suck.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well if the upside is Case Keenum, who else is excited?

And Blake is a not a success story, he is an example of a failure - even by the Jags, who have low standards (though not as low as Carroll-pumpers).

It isn't Lock's fault he is mediocre to average. But expecting anything exceptional from him is a bit much.

My concern isn't being exceptional. It is being a bottom half team but near the top of that half...just enough to not improve but allow people to make excuses.

But while I recognize the OP is not serious, that this was a sarcastic post, I am betting some people will believe the take and actually think taking a similar viewpoint is valid optimism.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
He's got a higher upside than Case Keenum. He has impressive arm talent. He's not afraid to push it downfield. He's also good in the play action game which we lean heavily on this year. His issue has been consistency and Decision making. If he can improve and become more consistent he can be a + starter in the league. Weather he takes that next step, we will have to wait and see. For people just to write him off with less than 1.5 season worth of starts is ludicrious. It reminds me when people Labeled Unger a bust or many of the other players we've had who started slow only to become solid players for Seattle in the past.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We do love ourselves those 'start slow' players.

Remember Britt? All kinds of mistakes for a while, but eventually turned out to be a solid center. The problem was the 3 years of struggle/mistakes and when he finally got good we let him go.

Remember that converted TE we turned into an OL?

What about the DE we give years of chances to?

How about whatshisname from TCU?

The problem is you end up investing time/energy/and wins to try to mold that player into a serviceable option - then you lose them. Those are called farm teams.

Lock could be a 'slow start' QB. But those are usually raw guys we mold, and often it works (over time). The problem is that Lock folds under pressure. That is a trait not a training issue. You don't 'coach up' mental toughness.

We are stuck with the guy. We will see if he is serviceable. But we are in an NFL where great QBs are everything, so that is a problem. It isn't as if Carroll is a good enough coach to overcome that, and I doubt he is even in the top half of coaches in the league right now (in terms of competence/ability - not something he did a decade ago)

Can Carroll outcoach the opponent or put an effective game plan in place, and execute it with our existing personnel? Because he struggled at this for the past 5 years. Having a mediocre QB will exacerbate this problem.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
But while I recognize the OP is not serious, that this was a sarcastic post, I am betting some people will believe the take and actually think taking a similar viewpoint is valid optimism.

Drew Lock is like a lot of NFL prospects and current QB's, plenty of physical talent but deficient at the mental side of the game. Grasping concepts, processing quickly and making the correct read/decision.

Look at just about any top QB prospects that washed out of the NFL, and that's usually the case.

So yeah, there's some hope now that he's in our system, which for as much as people don't want to admit is one of the more simple philosophical playbooks to learn.........that he can play at least an above average QB with being more well coached.

But this is all conjecture and theory. Until we see it, that's as much optimism we can have.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Yep. That is about the fairest assessment of what we face right now.

We need an above-average QB to be successful. So we will see.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We do love ourselves those 'start slow' players.

Remember Britt? All kinds of mistakes for a while, but eventually turned out to be a solid center. The problem was the 3 years of struggle/mistakes and when he finally got good we let him go.

Remember that converted TE we turned into an OL?

What about the DE we give years of chances to?

How about whatshisname from TCU?

The problem is you end up investing time/energy/and wins to try to mold that player into a serviceable option - then you lose them. Those are called farm teams.

Lock could be a 'slow start' QB. But those are usually raw guys we mold, and often it works (over time). The problem is that Lock folds under pressure. That is a trait not a training issue. You don't 'coach up' mental toughness.

We are stuck with the guy. We will see if he is serviceable. But we are in an NFL where great QBs are everything, so that is a problem. It isn't as if Carroll is a good enough coach to overcome that, and I doubt he is even in the top half of coaches in the league right now (in terms of competence/ability - not something he did a decade ago)

Can Carroll outcoach the opponent or put an effective game plan in place, and execute it with our existing personnel? Because he struggled at this for the past 5 years. Having a mediocre QB will exacerbate this problem.
Got Hate?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect many of us here need to reserve their judgment on this player until we see him play in the Seahawks scheme. I know I will before offering an opinion on him rather than parroting the views of others.

He was in a difficult and unfortunately unwanted situation in Denver and suffered in his development as a result. He might be better than some expect or simply not and we will all need to wait and see.

seadoc84

Reaction score
Can we stop pretending that Russel Wilson was anything special the last couple of years! Last year, his per game stats were 220 yards passing per game and 13 yards of rushing per game, and 64% completion percentage.

Now those numbers are in no way Elite by NFL standards and not something that will make or break the team. Those numbers should not be very difficult to reproduce by an average QB.

Now I think we used the money and draft picks we got in exchange for the guy pretty well. No more chemistry breaking talks in the locker room, no more distractions and coaching/players conflicts. Finally we can have a football season where it's all about coaching and execution and having fun. I am excited for this season!

I will guarantee once the youngsters start getting the system and catch up, we will shock a lot of people. I think we will forget about RW really quickly!

Jerhawk

Reaction score
While you may be sarcastic Welshers, I believe in due time you will all come around on Mr. Lock and recognize his greatness soon enough

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I, for one., am ready for a change. Russ' issues with Pete were like an albatross around the team's neck. With Russ of late, we were not even close to getting back to the Superbowl. Yes, we could make the playoffs but the team was unable to advance to the conference championship game. The team grew old and the talent level slowly eroded.

Even with Russ, we were at best a 11-6 team this year. Better to have moved on and start heading in a new direction imo.

From the little that I have seen, I like Drew Lock. I'm ready to see what he'll bring. We've only got two preseason games so every play on offence will determine whether it's Lock or Geno starting under center in game 1.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
You're not going to treat us to a double dipped post like you normally do ? For instance, creating a post about someone like say Boye Mafe, but also reminding everyone that you would have preferred a qb instead?

OP
OP
W

Welshers

You're not going to treat us to a double dipped post like you normally do ? For instance, creating a post about someone like say Boye Mafe, but also reminding everyone that you would have preferred a qb instead?
I didn't have time with my schedule being so busy. I'm aware how much you would have appreciated additional insight from me, but alas, I'm a busy man.

So Welshers is pehawk. I always had my suspicions
**** you got me. Accidentally posted this on the wrong account

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I was just watching some gamefilm of him in Denver . He's really sluggish with his footwork and has no speed at all running the football. If he wants to be a great QB in the NFL he really needs to put the work in on his body and become more physically gifted right now he's a statue and he's no Tom Brady with decision making ball placement or accuracy. If he does come in and put the work in to really tone that 6-4 frame he has a chance but as of today he's just a guy.

Latest posts