It's A 5 Team Race to #7

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
For those of us fans who actually want to see the Seahawks make it in...(Please no commentary from those of you who do not for any myriad of reasons, there's plenty of other threads for that)...

Eagles have the 5th seed wrapped up, I'm going to assume the Rams will be the 6th seed (retching noise) which leaves us battling with the Vikings, Packers, Saints, Falcons and Bucs for that final #7 seed.

Rams hot streak and having the tie breaker eliminates them from being one of the teams we are fighting with, which is why I assume they are already in. Saints loss helps us, they are fighting with the Bucs for a wildcard or to win their crappy division. That leaves the Vikings, Packers and Falcons as the rest of our main competition.

It goes without saying it's all moot if we don't handle our business of course.

It's going to go down to the wire...These final 3 weeks should be fun!

renofox

Reaction score
I think we need to go 3-0 to get in. I had predicted 1-2 during this stretch (after game 7) but now I'm thinking 2-1 with a small chance at 3-0.

I'm seeing different current odds averaging around 50%, but I'm thinking its closer to 30%. Better odds than I was thinking a few weeks ago.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I haven't wanted to research this yet so I don’t have all the information but I do know that the Rams play the Giants and Niners to close out the year while the. Vikings have 2/3 against the Lions. Assuming wet we have a good shot at passing the Vikings but the Rams should be a lock against the Giants and the Niners will probably have the bye locked up and resting starters by then.

I think the Rams chances of making it far exceed our own.

All we can really do is win and see what happens.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think we need to go 3-0 to get in. I had predicted 1-2 during this stretch (after game 7) but now I'm thinking 2-1 with a small chance at 3-0.

I'm seeing different current odds averaging around 50%, but I'm thinking its closer to 30%. Better odds than I was thinking a few weeks ago.

Right now it’s just over 51%. 3-0 is a near certainty to get in but I think 9-8 can do it as well if you look at the remaining schedules of all 5 teams. But it’s likely true that 10-7 will get it done while 9-8 is a minor stretch.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't wanted to research this yet so I don’t have all the information but I do know that the Rams play the Giants and Niners to close out the year while the. Vikings have 2/3 against the Lions. Assuming wet we have a good shot at passing the Vikings but the Rams should be a lock against the Giants and the Niners will probably have the bye locked up and resting starters by then.

I think the Rams chances of making it far exceed our own.

All we can really do is win and see what happens.

Rams chances are definitely better than ours but that doesn’t bother me because I already assume they are in. We have to keep the other teams at bay and that may not be that hard to do when you look at the remaining schedules for those teams.

We could potentially drop one more game and still make it in but it’s a near certainty we snag that last spot if we win out.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed. The simplest solution (easy for me to say) is just to win out and we are playing in mid January.

themunn

Reaction score
With the Rams now winning 5 on the trot does it not further put into context the stretch we had? We really should have won that game, had the opportunity to do so, and I think is Geno doesn't get injured in the 4th quarter we do.

As for the wildcard - if we win out I think we end with the 6th seed - unless you think the Rams are going to beat the Niners next week, in which case we really have had a brutal 8 game stretch, with only the Commanders likely to finish with less than 10 wins from those 8 games (5 of them likely 12+ win teams) - we are *EXTREMELY* well battle tested for the playoffs).

Scout

Reaction score
Hawks have to win out to mostly control their destiny. The Vikings have to win against the Packers and Lions to have a shot. The Packers can make a run if they beat the Vikings and then clean up against the Panthers and Bears. But the Bears are playing inspired football.

The Rams face a large challenge against the 49ers next week. The Saints have a shot still to win the division or sneak in but they need help too along with other boundary teams.

Bucs have a shot at the division title or wildcard still if they go 2-1 the rest of the way. The Bucs hold tiebreakers over Vikings and Packers.

themunn

Reaction score
Ironic we need the Lions to take care of business for us two years in a row…

As far as I can see there's only one scenario where we win out and don't make the playoffs and that's if:

Rams win out (includes beating 49ers in SF - if they have already wrapped up #1 seed however this is a possibility) finish 10-7
Vikings win out (includes 2 wins against the Lions) - finish 10-7
Dallas lose out (includes losing against the Lions) - finish 10-7

In that scenario we lose out on a 4 way tie for 10-7 and go home - that includes if the Eagles also lose out and finish 10-7 (Dallas tops division, we still lose 4 way tie even though we beat Eagles on H2H)

In any other scenario we're in - if Rams or Vikings drop 1 (doesn't matter which) we will have a better record, and if Dallas beat the Lions AND the Lions lose to Dallas (so Lions effectively lose out) then we beat them on the tiebreaker.

All of course assuming we win out.

RiverDog

Reaction score
One of the variables to keep an eye on is the Niners. If they win their next two games, vs. the Ravens and Commanders, then their last game vs. the Rams becomes meaningless as they will have clinched the #1 seed, meaning that they would probably treat the Rams game as a glorified preseason game.

Here's a reference guide for the upcoming weekend:

Weadoption

Reaction score
Shanny has to see the threat the Rams pose with a healthy Stafford and those weapons, Niners should intend run over their asses on the ground and finish strong to close out the season and hopefully deny them entry to the tournament.

themunn

Reaction score
One of the variables to keep an eye on is the Niners. If they win their next two games, vs. the Ravens and Commanders, then their last game vs. the Rams becomes meaningless as they will have clinched the #1 seed, meaning that they would probably treat the Rams game as a glorified preseason game.

Here's a reference guide for the upcoming weekend:

The only thing is the 49ers hate the Rams as much as we do, so they will take great pleasure in knocking them out of the playoffs if they have the opportunity. On the other hand, they will play after our game so there's a good chance they going in knowing that regardless of the result they get to knock out a divisional rival

getnasty

Reaction score
As far as I can see there's only one scenario where we win out and don't make the playoffs and that's if:

Rams win out (includes beating 49ers in SF - if they have already wrapped up #1 seed however this is a possibility) finish 10-7
Vikings win out (includes 2 wins against the Lions) - finish 10-7
Dallas lose out (includes losing against the Lions) - finish 10-7

In that scenario we lose out on a 4 way tie for 10-7 and go home - that includes if the Eagles also lose out and finish 10-7 (Dallas tops division, we still lose 4 way tie even though we beat Eagles on H2H)

In any other scenario we're in - if Rams or Vikings drop 1 (doesn't matter which) we will have a better record, and if Dallas beat the Lions AND the Lions lose to Dallas (so Lions effectively lose out) then we beat them on the tiebreaker.

All of course assuming we win out.
Lions lose out leaving them at 10-7
Vikings win out and they go to 10-7
Rams win out and they go to 10-7
Seattle wins out and they go to 10-7

I think the Lions would be left out it the cold I think.

getnasty

Reaction score
Win out gets in for sure. 9-8 might get you in as long as the loss isn't to the Cardinals.

themunn

Reaction score
Lions lose out leaving them at 10-7
Vikings win out and they go to 10-7
Rams win out and they go to 10-7
Seattle wins out and they go to 10-7

I think the Lions would be left out it the cold I think.

Exactly - if Lions lose out then Cowboys win at least 1. We only go out if Lions beat Dallas and finish 11-6, then we lose the tiebreaker with Dallas.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I still think 2-1 but hopefully 3-0. Depends on injuries and roster decisions..ie. Adams. Yes he could as one player lose us a game...Seahawks are better than all the teams in the 7 mix imo.