Is this the new Pete Carroll?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3d50hcw2 said:
Exactly.

Go back and look at our playoff game against the Cowboys if you want to see how we would normally do it. They stuffed the run all day, we ran into stacked boxes for 2 full quarters. Implying that Carroll stops something because it isn't working ignores most of his history with us.

Just because Atlanta stuffed the run does not mean Carroll would change.
(And stuff the run how? We barely ran it. No RB had more than 4 carries by the half. Our starting RB had only 6 in the whole game.)

Carroll didn't change because they shut down the run....he either changed because Atlanta has a weak secondary or because he had to.

Either way, we should be thankful for the change. Let us hope it continues.
Outside of going to the softzone/prevent defense too early I think they were pretty spot on with in game adjustments.
They didn’t wait until the 4th quarter to adjust. They dictated instead of being dictated to, which has been rare over the past 4 years.

Game planning and play calling on the offensive side of the ball was pretty much an A+ in my opinion.
Hopefully Russ being more vocal about things changed things, and hopefully this game changed past mindsets.
Scoring lots of points is fun, hope it continues.

chris98251

Reaction score
So since Russell is Cooking is the Clink now called Hells Kitchen?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ancm0hu1 said:
sutz":ancm0hu1 said:
Let Russ cook? Maybe. I'd still say he doesn't have free rein to just fling the ball around, and frankly, he isn't the kind of guy who would do that just to pad stats or glorify himself. Russ's focus is always on winning, and on the best way to accomplish that. I suspect we won't see many more games where he is the leading rusher going forward.
:

Even though I hate the term let Russ cook, I think what it really means is give Russell more control........which I think is what we saw Sunday, and should see going forward.

- less predictable
- more dynamic
- more free reign for Russell to change plays
- more free reign for Russell to make key in game decisions

This is really what we're talking about, not just saying you want Russell to throw the ball more.
Exactly!

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
AgentDib":1107lbst said:
We've gone for it on 4th down a number of times over the years in similar situations. One of the biggest fourth down conversions in franchise history happened from the SF 35 yard line, and they have always thought in that 34-40 range that going for it makes more sense than a short punt or a very long field goal.

Yes we went for it on that one but the circumstances leading to that decision were totally different imo. As I recall, we had the FG team out but didn't snap the ball and after discussion put the offence out there. If you watch the Road to the Super Bowl show from that season, Pete says Hauschka didn't have "the look of a guy who thought he could make that kick" or something like that. So they called timeout and he said Russ said "let's go for it coach".
This time there didn't seem to be any hesitation. The offence stayed on the field. I would say Russ was more bold with his play this time in that against San Fran he knew he had a free play with the off-side.

justafan

Reaction score
TraderGary":32q478x2 said:
Bobblehead":32q478x2 said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/9/14/21436710/report-russ-demanded-seattle-seahawks-change-offensive-philosophy-more-urgency-early-depart

Something from FG about it

This is from someone in the comments section of that attached thread so take it for what it's worth. I will say though that this sounds more like what I would expect from RW.

I actually have an inside source at Vmac. (For a number or years now) Scuttlebutt within the organization is that Wilson did indeed ask for some changes. However, according to my source he didn't threaten the team with leaving. He did lobby considerably for several changes, but it's not his way to threaten to leave to get his way. I'm told that him and schotties relationship couldn't be better. That the offense is a brain trust of both of them working together. That's the information I have at least.

I will say that it seems unlikely as well that Wilson would threaten leaving, he loves Seattle and it's not really in his nature to go against the grain like that.

My2centsworth anyway.

Take my source with grain of salt of course. I can say he has been right more then wrong with info I have gotten. example I knew long before the draft years ago that the Hawks were going after Tyler Lockett. I was even ridiculed on the boards when I made the suggestion.

This is a more likely scenario. I doubt there was any threats or Wilson throwing his weight around. Its pretty normal for QBs to want and earn more input just like WRs want more catches and RBs want more carries.