Is this the new Pete Carroll?

justafan

Reaction score
One thing that seemed different was they didnt let a penalty or sack end the drives early in the game. They ovecame those when it did happen.

I saw a lot of the same plays ran from last year with different personnel packages. With 3 different TEs they have a lot of versatility.

I still think the run will play a huge part of this offense. Its still wins games in this league. They just couldnt afford to try to shorten the game the way ATL. was playing.

There are a lot of great posts in this thread.

beastalamode

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3se5l821 said:
]Reports are that Wilson gave this staff an ultimatum.

So Carroll may not have had a choice. Which is fine by me.

What I do know is that I saw a tweet yesterday, some point in the 3rd quarter that said that none of our RBs had more than 4 rushes at that point. Not sure if it was true but sounds about right. And it would seem to indicate change.

Wilson was the best player on the field yesterday. But he is usually the best player on the field EVERY game (at least the past few years). Why we won't use him for 4 quarters is a mystery to me. But the smoke leaking says Wilson is tired of it.

Happy to hear it.

I don't think this is a week one aberration. I think this is Wilson taking control of his team. Finally.

Why isn't anyone talking about this? They just talked about this on ESPN.

Russ gave Pete an ultimatum, let him cook or hes leaving. THIS is why Pete changed the plan, AND ITS ABOUT TIME RUSS MADE HIM.

I don't know about you guys, but I am sick and tired of being down 10+ points at halftime in big games, only for Russ to fight back and have us lose by a TD or less.

chris98251

Reaction score
beastalamode":2tjvasmp said:
TwistedHusky":2tjvasmp said:
]Reports are that Wilson gave this staff an ultimatum.

So Carroll may not have had a choice. Which is fine by me.

What I do know is that I saw a tweet yesterday, some point in the 3rd quarter that said that none of our RBs had more than 4 rushes at that point. Not sure if it was true but sounds about right. And it would seem to indicate change.

Wilson was the best player on the field yesterday. But he is usually the best player on the field EVERY game (at least the past few years). Why we won't use him for 4 quarters is a mystery to me. But the smoke leaking says Wilson is tired of it.

Happy to hear it.

I don't think this is a week one aberration. I think this is Wilson taking control of his team. Finally.

Why isn't anyone talking about this? They just talked about this on ESPN.

Russ gave Pete an ultimatum, let him cook or hes leaving. THIS is why Pete changed the plan, AND ITS ABOUT TIME RUSS MADE HIM.

I don't know about you guys, but I am sick and tired of being down 10+ points at halftime in big games, only for Russ to fight back and have us lose by a TD or less.

Put up a Link or put it in the round file, he isn't Aaron Rodgers and I doubt if he did say that he would do it where ESPN would get it or tell ESPN he did it, it is counter to everything he is and his image.

Pete has said he is ready to turn over more responsibility to Russell every year as he grows, that is on tape.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not the only report I've seen but here is one.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/sea ... philosophy

I've seen 4 different reports of this today. Most alluding to 'unknown sources' but take it as you will.

Russ is probably tired of everyone lauding other players and having his coach hold him back. We haven't been successful in the playoffs since our SB loss. That, for the most part, is not on Wilson. He knows it.

He also knows he is as good as Mahomes but last year had to play only for a half per game. Mahomes got 4 quarters each game.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread. If this is true, Carroll would have to change. He would have no choice.

Coaches are notorious control freaks. He isn't going to magically change for no reason. But, one reason could be the Atlanta secondary is not great. So it could have been a focus on passing knowing the defense would struggle to stop it.

Teams on average scored 10pts extra this week, likely because defenses are not ready yet.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3dq45rlq said:
Whoa, clearly making too big an inference from week 1. Week 1 is always the atypical week where teams destined for the playoffs can look bad and teams destined for a high draft pick can look great. Only consistency is that the Browns will lose.

It's not based on week one. It's based on last year's performances, and how the teams adjusted in the offseason. The Rams are a shell of themselves. The Niners are going to revert to their mean. It's the Hawks and Cardinals this year. Week 1 was just confirmatory.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2bar516s said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/9/14/21436710/report-russ-demanded-seattle-seahawks-change-offensive-philosophy-more-urgency-early-depart

Something from FG about it

This is from someone in the comments section of that attached thread so take it for what it's worth. I will say though that this sounds more like what I would expect from RW.

I actually have an inside source at Vmac. (For a number or years now) Scuttlebutt within the organization is that Wilson did indeed ask for some changes. However, according to my source he didn't threaten the team with leaving. He did lobby considerably for several changes, but it's not his way to threaten to leave to get his way. I'm told that him and schotties relationship couldn't be better. That the offense is a brain trust of both of them working together. That's the information I have at least.

I will say that it seems unlikely as well that Wilson would threaten leaving, he loves Seattle and it's not really in his nature to go against the grain like that.

My2centsworth anyway.

Take my source with grain of salt of course. I can say he has been right more then wrong with info I have gotten. example I knew long before the draft years ago that the Hawks were going after Tyler Lockett. I was even ridiculed on the boards when I made the suggestion.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I doubt that Wilson would be confrontational about it. But when you hear stories about things like this, you ask 'Who is the leaker?' Player side or Team? Clearly Player side here.

When things like this come out, 90% of the time it is from the agent to contacts in the media they have.

He doesn't need to be confrontational or demanding. He just leaks the message through the press, and this certainly has all the indicators of a campaign. Whether by Wilson or the agent, the team gets a subtle message - fix this or we will have problems in the future. The 'ultimatum' over his contract went the same way.

I doubt this is smoke. Chris Carson had 6 total carries in the last game. That is so out of character for Carroll either:

1 - A key player in the run game was hurt or unable to perform

2 - Wilson pounded the table for, and got, more offensive power.

More signs point to #2 than #1.

Regardless, genie out of the bottle. If Carroll goes run heavy and we lose, the fans will turn on him. Carroll has to use Wilson more at least until he fails. That is all most of us wanted anyway.

It would be unlikely that all these stories came out of the air. ESPN reported it. Plenty of other outlets mentioned it. FG even. It probably came from the Wilson camp and that was probably enough threat to push Carroll to change.

chris98251

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3rwdvc6j said:
Not the only report I've seen but here is one.

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/sea ... philosophy

I've seen 4 different reports of this today. Most alluding to 'unknown sources' but take it as you will.

Russ is probably tired of everyone lauding other players and having his coach hold him back. We haven't been successful in the playoffs since our SB loss. That, for the most part, is not on Wilson. He knows it.

He also knows he is as good as Mahomes but last year had to play only for a half per game. Mahomes got 4 quarters each game.

Anyway, not to hijack the thread. If this is true, Carroll would have to change. He would have no choice.

Coaches are notorious control freaks. He isn't going to magically change for no reason. But, one reason could be the Atlanta secondary is not great. So it could have been a focus on passing knowing the defense would struggle to stop it.

Teams on average scored 10pts extra this week, likely because defenses are not ready yet.

Sorry my view of Florio is click bait, he has painted the Seahawks in a Negative light since he came here and they didn't give him Cris Collingsworth treatment, said he hated it here and that he hopes to never have to come back.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
First guy I heard allude to it was Simms. But then you heard it on ESPN, saw it on FG, etc.

Admittedly, Florio seems to sometimes have a bias against the Hawks. Though some of that might be reasonable skepticism after getting burned yearly when the Hawks look like Super Bowl contenders at the 3/4 mark and everyone expects them to go all the way. Only to look stupid when they invariably stumble in whatever game after the wildcar they play. Maybe he does dislike the Hawks though and you are correct?

It is a big leap to go from disliking a team or player to literally inventing quotes. That seems a big professional risk. Seems more likely that an agent plants the story to get his star QB better treatment after watching a # of young QBs that don't look substantially better rocket past your client in terms of the league highlighting them.

And if the media is massively misrepresenting the Wilson camp, wouldn't the natural response from his camp be to refute it?

Finally, can you explain any other reason our star RB gets 6 total carries in a football game? 4 in the half? When usually he would have 2x-3x that? Especially given our own coach having an insane obsession with rushing the ball?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TraderGary":3rqw4lkp said:
Bobblehead":3rqw4lkp said:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/9/14/21436710/report-russ-demanded-seattle-seahawks-change-offensive-philosophy-more-urgency-early-depart

Something from FG about it

This is from someone in the comments section of that attached thread so take it for what it's worth. I will say though that this sounds more like what I would expect from RW.

I actually have an inside source at Vmac. (For a number or years now) Scuttlebutt within the organization is that Wilson did indeed ask for some changes. However, according to my source he didn't threaten the team with leaving. He did lobby considerably for several changes, but it's not his way to threaten to leave to get his way. I'm told that him and schotties relationship couldn't be better. That the offense is a brain trust of both of them working together. That's the information I have at least.

I will say that it seems unlikely as well that Wilson would threaten leaving, he loves Seattle and it's not really in his nature to go against the grain like that.

My2centsworth anyway.

Take my source with grain of salt of course. I can say he has been right more then wrong with info I have gotten. example I knew long before the draft years ago that the Hawks were going after Tyler Lockett. I was even ridiculed on the boards when I made the suggestion.

It shouldn't shock anyone that a QB in his prime with the complete command and respect of his teammates and coaches wanted a bigger role in the scheming, playcalling and in game decision making.

Btw, that's the kind of balls and voice you want a generational future HOF QB of your team to be like...............AND more importantly you want a coach like Pete to be open minded and listen to said QB.

Look what happened in NE, Brady tried for a decade to wrestle control away from Belicheck, and while they continued to win, it ended the relationship. We don't want that kind of contentiousness.

D

DomeHawk

hawkfan68":3dja0whd said:
The Falcons stifled the running game so he went with let’s beat them through the air. Having more quality players as receiving threats helps. At least he didn’t stick with what not was working as he had in the past. That’s a great change.

That was the Falcon's game plan. The problem in the past was that Pete would have stuck with his game plan and tried to wear 'em down to win in the 4th. It only works sometimes and often you put yourself in a hole you can't climb out of.

Take what they give you. Bellichick is a master at that, Pete hasn't always been.

sutz

Reaction score
IMHO people are over thinking this. Pete doesn't have "an obsession with running the ball." He favors a balanced attack.

If anything, this is Schotty settling into his role as the OC, working with his future HOF QB to make the offense work in whatever way wins a game. We ran several times early and it wasn't necessarily working all that well, except for a couple of times. So we settled in and took advantage of a lesser back end that everybody was saying Atlanta had.

Let Russ cook? Maybe. I'd still say he doesn't have free rein to just fling the ball around, and frankly, he isn't the kind of guy who would do that just to pad stats or glorify himself. Russ's focus is always on winning, and on the best way to accomplish that. I suspect we won't see many more games where he is the leading rusher going forward.

Great game, no matter how you look at it, and our D did fine. Matty Ice always has some fireworks late in games. We just put it out of reach, both with our D slowing them down and our O padding the score in the 4th Qtr.

1-0 and that's what really matters. :snack:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sutz":t4jfpqst said:
Let Russ cook? Maybe. I'd still say he doesn't have free rein to just fling the ball around, and frankly, he isn't the kind of guy who would do that just to pad stats or glorify himself. Russ's focus is always on winning, and on the best way to accomplish that. I suspect we won't see many more games where he is the leading rusher going forward.
:

Even though I hate the term let Russ cook, I think what it really means is give Russell more control........which I think is what we saw Sunday, and should see going forward.

- less predictable
- more dynamic
- more free reign for Russell to change plays
- more free reign for Russell to make key in game decisions

This is really what we're talking about, not just saying you want Russell to throw the ball more.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1rkshyzx said:
Mad Dog":1rkshyzx said:
Whoa, clearly making too big an inference from week 1. Week 1 is always the atypical week where teams destined for the playoffs can look bad and teams destined for a high draft pick can look great. Only consistency is that the Browns will lose.

It's not based on week one. It's based on last year's performances, and how the teams adjusted in the offseason. The Rams are a shell of themselves. The Niners are going to revert to their mean. It's the Hawks and Cardinals this year. Week 1 was just confirmatory.

Week 1 is never confirmatory.

But I agree that Niners are likely in hangover mode and the Rams are Ramsey, Donald and a bunch of JAGs. But I'm not yet sold on Kingsbury and I think McVey and Shanahan are very good offensive coaches. So they still worry me.

It's a tough division. ARI I think is still a year away from being the chief rival.

knownone

Reaction score
I think the ‘cook’ crowd is delusional. The Falcons were doing a good job against the run and their secondary is abysmal. Nothing about the game was indicative of a shift in philosophy.

Overall talent seems to be the biggest factor. This team has more talent and experience than last years team which was 3rd in passing efficiency and 5th in offensive efficiency. They should be better even without a shift in philosophy.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
knownone":28sa48yo said:
I think the ‘cook’ crowd is delusional. The Falcons were doing a good job against the run and their secondary is abysmal. Nothing about the game was indicative of a shift in philosophy.

Actually with the old philosophy...Pete would STILL run the ball even if it was getting stuffed because the mindset was they were tiring the defense out until the third quarter and then would hope the runs would start breaking out and if not suddenly RW would just take over the game halfway through the fourth quarter (and by that time already be down 14 points).

The falcons game we saw the run not so much abandoned but just not 90% of the plays to begin with. So yes, the philosophy for game 1 was different it was as if they actually ADAPTED to the game for once (and not at the end of the 3rd quarter).

Now whether or not they continue to do this into the rest of the season is a different story. I certainly hope they continue to do so. Bill Belichick cheating jokes aside is the GOAT because he adapts, Pete never did, this is the first time it looks like he may.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Exactly.

Go back and look at our playoff game against the Cowboys if you want to see how we would normally do it. They stuffed the run all day, we ran into stacked boxes for 2 full quarters. Implying that Carroll stops something because it isn't working ignores most of his history with us.

Just because Atlanta stuffed the run does not mean Carroll would change.
(And stuff the run how? We barely ran it. No RB had more than 4 carries by the half. Our starting RB had only 6 in the whole game.)

Carroll didn't change because they shut down the run....he either changed because Atlanta has a weak secondary or because he had to.

Either way, we should be thankful for the change. Let us hope it continues.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":jqf8hxuo said:
Exactly.

Go back and look at our playoff game against the Cowboys if you want to see how we would normally do it. They stuffed the run all day, we ran into stacked boxes for 2 full quarters. Implying that Carroll stops something because it isn't working ignores most of his history with us.

Just because Atlanta stuffed the run does not mean Carroll would change.
(And stuff the run how? We barely ran it. No RB had more than 4 carries by the half. Our starting RB had only 6 in the whole game.)

Carroll didn't change because they shut down the run....he either changed because Atlanta has a weak secondary or because he had to.

Either way, we should be thankful for the change. Let us hope it continues.

This

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":sxahdd5u said:
sutz":sxahdd5u said:
:

Even though I hate the term let Russ cook, I think what it really means is give Russell more control........which I think is what we saw Sunday, and should see going forward.

- less predictable
- more dynamic
- more free reign for Russell to change plays
- more free reign for Russell to make key in game decisions

This is really what we're talking about, not just saying you want Russell to throw the ball more.
Exactly!