Is Poles a genius GM, or just lucky as hell?

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
To be a real draft genius, you've got to consistently find guys in the rounds you're not supposed to be finding guys in.
That’s exactly right. So far, the only late round hit has been our starting LT Braxton Jones drafted in fifth round. Another miss was V. Jones drafted one spot ahead of Abe Lucas. I think Seahawks, Eagles, Lions, Texans, have all picked off players he left on the table. If he’s a genius drafter, I haven’t seen it yet.

NoGain

Reaction score
How about the Lakers trading an aging Gail Goodrich to the Jazz for the draft pick by which the Lakers acquired Magic Johnson.

Threedee

Reaction score
I keep wondering where the Bears would be today if Bears had not landed the #1 pick two years in a row. People on Bears forum tell me Poles is a genius GM. I am very happy to have DJ Moore, Wright, Odunze, and Williams, but think it’s more due to Poles luck than skill. So far, they haven’t run me out of town for my opinion.
He's better than that idiot Ryan Pace, who traded up from #3 to #2 just so he could draft the inept Mitchell Trubisky and give a bunch of picks to the Niners.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
He's better than that idiot Ryan Pace, who traded up from #3 to #2 just so he could draft the inept Mitchell Trubisky and give a bunch of picks to the Niners.
I can’t deny that. But to say he’s better than Pace is a pretty low bar. It’s like saying Waldron is better than Getsy, or Eberflus is better than Nagy.

Good riddance to all of them!

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Bears should have fired Eberflus and hired Dave Canales who is the next young QB guru HC
I figure Waldron can manage the offense and Eberflus focus more on the defense. That’s his strength.

getnasty

Reaction score
Didn't he trade a 2nd for Chase Claypool? Got absolutely nothing for Fields. Yeah genius he is not.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Didn't he trade a 2nd for Chase Claypool? Got absolutely nothing for Fields. Yeah genius he is not.
On the Bears forum, the Claypool trade is the only mistake they will acknowledge. They have no choice on that one, but the rationale is “every GM makes mistakes.”

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
IMO the Claypool trade was in itself wasn’t that bad of a gamble the compensation was, a 2nd rd pick for a WR that a team wants to kick to the curb was a head scratcher. I am assuming Poles was too desperate for a WR.

The more I think about it Poles has been more lucky than good

seabowl

Reaction score
The thing that set this all off was the Bears getting the first pick in the 2023 draft. They insured this happening. by sitting just Fields the last game of the year when he was clearly healthy enough to play. They were probably going to lose the game anyway, but teams should not be allowed to do this to purposely lose. This is why a lottery system should be put in place in the NFL for the draft.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Using the NBA as an example I hate the draft lottery I have seen teams with the 2nd or 3rd worst records fall to the 6 spot. The lottery is done behind closed doors we don’t know how honest the process is. I would much rather have business settled on the field

NoGain

Reaction score
Yeah, the NFL should go to a limited lottery system. I can't believe they haven't. They're always trying to find ways to keep people's attention. It would be a big looked-forward-to and watched event.

OP
OP
Bear-Hawk

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The thing that set this all off was the Bears getting the first pick in the 2023 draft. They insured this happening. by sitting just Fields the last game of the year when he was clearly healthy enough to play. They were probably going to lose the game anyway, but teams should not be allowed to do this to purposely lose. This is why a lottery system should be put in place in the NFL for the draft.
Poles did everything he could, but still needed Texans to win their last game. It was a near miracle drive and then 2 pt. conversion. It was Lovie’s gift to the Bears. But kudos to the Texans for playing to win. I know some fans want to “tank” the game, but I consider that poor sportsmanship.

I hate tanking, but usually the team with worst W-L record is the worst team in the league and, therefore, most needing the #1 pick. The Panthers trade with Poles is the rare exception due mainly to luck and the fact that the Panthers owner is an idiot.

Last edited:

evergreen

Reaction score
You can’t judge him without the Carolina f’ up factor in there. Stroud is the real deal. Funny that the second coming is sucking! That would be just gigantic if he sucks!