I'm so tired of bevell....

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
White Devil":1h0bphlu said:
That is the difference between the 2013 Hawks and the 2014 Hawks.

Last year, we were the one's who knock.

We weren't that good in the red zone last year either. Not as bad as this year, but still middle of the pack.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/re ... 2014-02-02

Red Zone scoring is about winning matchups as much as it's about play calling. When the field's condensed the defense has an advantage.

Teams that do well in the red zone are teams with playmakers that can use their athletic ability, height, body size, etc to win matchups. We faired better last year because Miller is a very good red zone target, and so was Rice.

This year? who do we have that can make a play in the red zone? NOBODY. It's either hope Russell outruns somebody, or Lynch can find some daylight. Our primary receivers are small and slow, not the best combo for winning matchups or breaking down zone defenses.

White Devil

Reaction score
My favorite playcall was the 5 yard loss on 1st down with a bubble screen to Baldwin inside the 10 after powering downfield 80 something yards.

I think he called 4 bubble screens for a grand total of -13 yards. Can we just get rid of that page in the book altogether?

blkhwk

Reaction score
Both plays should have gotten Wilson on the edge with a run/pass option. Looks like if Wilson keeps on the second 4th down, he has a better chance than Lynch did. There is a LB semi-staying home, but it would have been a better chance. Play looked a run to Lynch all the way to me.

Have heard on NFL radio, Greg Cosell and others that the Seahawks do not have very complex route concepts..... This goes back to last year. Running game is good (Cable is running game coordinator) passing game sucks...... I just looked on Pro Football Reference on the years Bevell was Minnesota's OC, their best passing year they were 8th overall. Most other years they were in the mid to low 20's. That team had a great OL, and what I remember from watching those teams was their passing game was all on Favre improvising.

Long and short of it, Bevell has to go!

pehawk

Reaction score
blkhwk":1dcmkbe4 said:
Both plays should have gotten Wilson on the edge with a run/pass option. Looks like if Wilson keeps on the second 4th down, he has a better chance than Lynch did. There is a LB semi-staying home, but it would have been a better chance. Play looked a run to Lynch all the way to me.

Have heard on NFL radio, Greg Cosell and others that the Seahawks do not have very complex route concepts..... This goes back to last year. Running game is good (Cable is running game coordinator) passing game sucks...... I just looked on Pro Football Reference on the years Bevell was Minnesota's OC, their best passing year they were 8th overall. Most other years they were in the mid to low 20's. That team had a great OL, and what I remember from watching those teams was their passing game was all on Favre improvising.

Long and short of it, Bevell has to go!

Bingo! Spot on with Cable and Bevell in Minnesota. He had Farve, the redneck Russell, bailing him out. Even on the 1st TD to Baldwin, the broken play, man alive was that just a BAD play call. It made no sense, at all, it was bailed out by improvisation.

White Devil

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1msl5l4j said:
White Devil":1msl5l4j said:
This year? who do we have that can make a play in the red zone?

His name is Marshawn Lynch.

So according to your logic we have nobody that can make a play so let's just throw some flashy, smoke and mirrors crap play and hope we score?

The offensive line that the Hawks have this year can't pass block, hell they can barely run block. Firing off the line and run blocking is a helluva lot easier for them to do however...match up and hit a body. Add a FB with a huge body and Lynch behind that...and I like our chances. Play action pass out of that...hell you can even try a naked bootleg, and you'd get better results than what we're seeing now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
White Devil":1vwkss6c said:
Sgt. Largent":1vwkss6c said:
White Devil":1vwkss6c said:

So according to your logic we have nobody that can make a play so let's just throw some flashy, smoke and mirrors crap play and hope we score?

We did try to run the ball down at the goal line, twice............and I wouldn't call a simple throw to the corner of the end zone to Baldwin "flashy."

Maybe the play calling could be better, but you guys are acting like all our offensive woes would be solved with a different coordinator, and that to me is laughable with the terrible offensive talent we have right now.

Lynch and Wilson, that's the extent of our offensive fire power. The rest of the dudes we have running around wouldn't crack the roster of 30 of the 32 teams.

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
pehawk":2l6dm8as said:
Bingo! Spot on with Cable and Bevell in Minnesota. He had Farve, the redneck Russell, bailing him out. Even on the 1st TD to Baldwin, the broken play, man alive was that just a BAD play call. It made no sense, at all, it was bailed out by improvisation.

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about that play. What in your opinion makes it that bad of a play call? Do you mean more situationally bad or bad in design? Or both?

White Devil

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b14chqa said:
White Devil":2b14chqa said:
Sgt. Largent":2b14chqa said:
White Devil":2b14chqa said:

We did try to run the ball down at the goal line, twice.............

Not in a power formation they didn't.

pehawk

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":ij6yrvjt said:
pehawk":ij6yrvjt said:

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts about that play. What in your opinion makes it that bad of a play call? Do you mean more situationally bad or bad in design? Or both?

Oh, it was in my Bevell thread. This one was design.

The play seemed to funnel 3 receivers to one 7 yard area of the redzone, on the short side of the field. It reeked of Bevell trying to outthink himself, which IMO he does, by trying to pick the play which seemed the least expected. Running 3 or (maybe even 4 WR's) into the same area, essentially creating a hail mary situation, certainly wasn't expected.

White Devil

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1uuv8r06 said:
A fade to Baldwin on 4th and goal? Beyond horrible play calling.

The play call was horrible, but I blame Baldwin more for the execution. He was so certain he would be contacted that he relied on getting a call. There was contact, but there's no way he doesn't face that contact daily in practice. He should have continued to fight through his route and may have had a chance to make a play. He gave up after the contact.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":2mtjb57l said:
Zebulon Dak":2mtjb57l said:
pehawk":2mtjb57l said:

The play seemed to funnel 3 receivers to one 7 yard area of the redzone, on the short side of the field. It reeked of Bevell trying to outthink himself, which IMO he does, by trying to pick the play which seemed the least expected. Running 3 or (maybe even 4 WR's) into the same area, essentially creating a hail mary situation, certainly wasn't expected.

Brock explained this play on the show today.

Bevell likes to spread out the defense on the goal line with shotgun and short field formations in order to get people out of the box because the other team knows it's probably going to Lynch. Pack it in tight with "I" formation with fullback and then you have to beat 10 men in the box.........which this O-line has a hard time doing, as evident with Lynch getting stuffed on 4th and 1.

btw, same formation that has scored Lynch 9 TD's and the overtime TD against Denver. No one started a thread to fire Bevell after that game.

White Devil

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3rqwkqga said:
White Devil":3rqwkqga said:
Sgt. Largent":3rqwkqga said:
White Devil":3rqwkqga said:

Maybe the play calling could be better, but you guys are acting like all our offensive woes would be solved with a different coordinator, and that to me is laughable with the terrible offensive talent we have right now.

Sorry for another post but this needs to be addressed separately. The offensive woes we are suffering from right now are because the OC is calling plays for the team he WANTS, not the team he has. When you have WR's that can't get separation, the CB's are going to be lined up closer to the line of scrimmage to jam, and stop the run. The absolute worst play to call in that situation? Bubble screen. And Bevell loves him some Bubble Screens!

I'm not claiming to be smarter than Bevell, but I know what he's calling for the most part is NOT what this team does. You can't tell me this is the same playbook from last season. It's completely different and seems to me to be centered around a guy that isn't even on the team anymore.

The ability to change your style of offense to suit the team you have is what makes the Patriots one of the greatest teams in history. Last season they should have won 3 maybe 4 games with the injuries their offense suffered. What did they do? They switched their entire offensive strategy and became a Power Run team. They improvised. They adapted. So far, the Seahawks haven't adapted to who they currently are, and that's why they struggle on Offense. I thought after the win against the Giants they would have figured it out....they didn't.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":14l4069x said:
pehawk":14l4069x said:
Zebulon Dak":14l4069x said:
pehawk":14l4069x said:

Bevell likes to spread out the defense on the goal line with shotgun and short field formations in order to get people out of the box because the other team knows it's probably going to Lynch. Pack it in tight with "I" formation with fullback and then you have to beat 10 men in the box.........which this O-line has a hard time doing, as evident with Lynch getting stuffed on 4th and 1.

btw, same formation that has scored Lynch 9 TD's and the overtime TD against Denver. No one started a thread to fire Bevell after that game.

Where did I say I didn't like the formation? What are you talking about? And, if anything the fact the WR's didn't spread out contradicts what you're saying. That literally had nothing to do with my post.

If you think I'm picking on Bevell because the Seahawks lost, then you should probably avoid my posts. You wont have the subtext necessary to have a reasonable discussion

White Devil

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1vqiy8ep said:
pehawk":1vqiy8ep said:
Zebulon Dak":1vqiy8ep said:
pehawk":1vqiy8ep said:

You keep bringing up this play as your evidence but that was a spread formation play that got stopped. That's the horrible play call we are complaining about. Yea it was a horrible play by Sweezy, his worse of what otherwise was a great game for him. But if you're going to go with a predictable play with the game on the line, that's the call you make?

pehawk

Reaction score
DId you just want to prove to us you listened to Brock and Salk? If so, well, awesome man! High five...I'm proud of you.

pehawk

Reaction score
White Devil":28hkiiom said:

While sarcastic, there is some truth to this. Bevell overthinks in key situations, he wants to surprise and guess what the defense wont guess.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I want to point out the absolute truth of what White Devil is saying.

The crowd noise on 4th and short both times was incredible. Being in the gun required a silent count. Bailey has to tell the center to snap and tell Okung to silent count too. Add the jump KC gets on the snap on a gun play and being under center makes so much more sense.

I thought Bevell missed a golden chance to get his guys fired up when he had first and goal inside the one and went to the TE. I think it would have been a big deal to be the team that hung that first rushing TD on the Chiefs. I never thought we would run on 4th and goal, not when we hadn't run on first and goal.

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":36xau58u said:
I want to point out the absolute truth of what White Devil is saying.

The crowd noise on 4th and short both times was incredible. Being in the gun required a silent count. Bailey has to tell the center to snap and tell Okung to silent count too. Add the jump KC gets on the snap on a gun play and being under center makes so much more sense.

I thought Bevell missed a golden chance to get his guys fired up when he had first and goal inside the one and went to the TE. I think it would have been a big deal to be the team that hung that first rushing TD on the Chiefs. I never thought we would run on 4th and goal, not when we hadn't run on first and goal.

That last paragraph is brilliant.

Latest posts