If JimmyG is released should we sign him?

Question above

• Yes

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 46.9%

• Total voters

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Yes. He'd be an upgrade over Mr Three and Out and Mr Turnover. We'd be watchable with Jimmy G.
RW3-and-out is no longer a Seahawk.

Edit: yes, I recognize that's a little unfair, but less so than the Wilson fans around here would like to admit.

Edit 2: OK, I only saw just now that @Smellyman already did this last night (9:36 PM my time, 5:36 PM in Seattle). In my defense, I had written the reply but not sent it before @Smellyman posted, and I had forgotten about it until I went to reply to a different comment just now.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Los Angeles No Caps swoop in out of nowhere and sign him if he's cut. Stafford insurance.

I dislike the Rams, but their skillful roster construction within the rules of the salary cap is admirable. If I thought they were cheating, I'd be making noise about it. However, because it looks completely clean to me, I think the other 31 NFL teams should study and learn from the Rams' cap management.

When you call the Rams the "No-Caps," you imply they're cheating on the cap, or that they get some kind of special treatment from the league on the salary cap (note that I qualified that carefully; I'm talking about the cap specifically, not things like the league's evident inability to suspend Aaron Donald even when he assaults people in clearly against-the-rules ways on camera, or the way big, visible referee mistakes - calls and non-calls - have favored the Rams in critical moments in recent seasons).

So here's a challenge. Information on all the Rams' current contracts is publicly available. Overthecap.com tends to have more-correct information, but Spotrac.com has some nice features, like stating realistic "outs" for each contract (e.g., what the media report as a five-year, $90M deal might actually give the team a way to get out after three years with relatively little dead money, and Spotrac tells you what the contract's annual average value would be if the team were to get out at that point). Please show me where there's anything that could even be construed as fishy in the Rams' cap management.

What seems to upset people who believe the Rams are cheating on the cap (or getting special treatment from the league in salary-cap terms) is when the Rams sign somebody to a top-of-the-market contract. But that's the opposite of how them cheating on the cap would look! The publicly available information on all the currently active player contracts the Rams have shows that they're within the same cap as everyone else, so if they were cheating on the cap, it would be by getting players signed for well below their market value and then compensating them outside the salary-cap structure. I see no signs of that.

I can't prove that the Patriots found other ways to compensate Brady outside the salary-cap structure so he got his money even though he didn't get top-of-the-market contracts, but I can say that it was awfully fishy that the Patriots were the main client of Brady's TB12 company, the headquarters of which was located inside the Patriots complex, at the same time the Patriots were officially paying Brady well below his market value. That's an example of the kind of thing I'm asking you to provide about the Rams. I'm not even asking for proof that they're cheating on the cap. I'm just asking for anything that could even be construed as suspicious. And don't feel bad if you can't provide even that. The folks around here who explicitly accuse the Rams of cheating on the cap can't provide that kind of thing either.

Smellyman

Reaction score
RW3-and-out is no longer a Seahawk.

Edit: yes, I recognize that's a little unfair, but less so than the Wilson fans around here would like to admit.

Edit 2: OK, I only saw just now that @Smellyman already did this last night (9:36 PM my time, 5:36 PM in Seattle). In my defense, I had written the reply but not sent it before @Smellyman posted, and I had forgotten about it until I went to reply to a different comment just now.
Great minds....

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I just wanted to come in and laugh at the lets get jimmy g crowd. This post was made today. News of him resigning happened yesterday. Garbage. Straight garbage. So desperate for a qb(crap qb at that)...shouldnt have wished the last one away.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
If any teams wanted Jimmy they would’ve made a play for him

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I just wanted to come in and laugh at the lets get jimmy g crowd. This post was made today. News of him resigning happened yesterday. Garbage. Straight garbage. So desperate for a qb(crap qb at that)...shouldnt have wished the last one away.

I disagree. For a QB to make an nfccg, he’s gotta be doing a lot of things right.

Even a Kittle, Bosa, Warner, Juice, Aiyuk, etc. can’t make a backup into a starter, as the 9ers saw with Mullens. I feel Geno has a similar trajectory.

willyrobt

Reaction score
True except we got Russell at pick #76 so no need to tank a season to pick wisely. Even the GOAT was a late pick. Seahawks should go for it knowing a pick is probably coming regardless.
You noticed I didn't say were to get QB in the draft. And I would never want my team to tank anything.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
I disagree. For a QB to make an nfccg, he’s gotta be doing a lot of things right.

Even a Kittle, Bosa, Warner, Juice, Aiyuk, etc. can’t make a backup into a starter, as the 9ers saw with Mullens. I feel Geno has a similar trajectory.
Team game. Qb doesnt win it by himself and in occasions where they can carry a team jimmy g doesnt.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I'm not convinced hes that much better than what we have and if your goal is to land an elite guy next year then I say no. I don't think this roster is good enough to be a playoff team even if Jimmy is what he was in San Fran. So for me its a no. But Pete thinks his system is ready now so if I was him I'd probably do it.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
If any teams wanted Jimmy they would’ve made a play for him
Because right now every "contending" team is set on their starting QB. The Browns needed Jimmy but they didn't have anything to offer. If Trey Lance proves himself by mid-season, the 9ers will trade Jimmy to whoever loses their starting QB to injury.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Because right now every "contending" team is set on their starting QB. The Browns needed Jimmy but they didn't have anything to offer. If Trey Lance proves himself by mid-season, the 9ers will trade Jimmy to whoever loses their starting QB to injury.
If any teams wanted Jimmy they would’ve made a play for him. He wasn’t worth $27 million a year. Now that he has a restructured deal worth considerably less they might get an offer for a 6th rounder in exchange for Jimmy if it’s the last resort. Jimmy G sucks. He wins because of the defense and schematics.

Latest posts