If JimmyG is released should we sign him?

Question above

• Yes

Votes: 34 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 30 46.9%

• Total voters

toffee

Reaction score
It's not like he would have his choice of starting jobs. I'm pretty sure hed rather start here than ride the pine somewhere else.
He may not at this late stage, or he could just sit for a bit wait for QB injury with one of the contenders. Think Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc.,

Tusc2000

Reaction score
First, the 9ers are unlikely to simply release a QB that has trade value -- they are waiting for a good team to lose their starting QB and be desperate, so they'll part with a few high draft picks. The Browns wanted Jimmy, but they traded all their first-round picks for Watson.

Second, the 9ers have to be a little nervous about Trey Lance, and they're going to keep Jimmy in reserve, just in case Lance falters or gets injured. The 9ers are loaded and don't want to waste this year if Lance isn't the guy.

Finally, in the unlikely event the 9ers did release Jimmy, there's no way he'd be willing to go to a team that is not playoff bound. For a guy who's played in 2 out of the last 3 conference championship games, signing with a team that's in serious rebuild mode is not going to happen.

toffee

Reaction score
First, the 9ers are unlikely to simply release a QB that has trade value -- they are waiting for a good team to lose their starting QB and be desperate, so they'll part with a few high draft picks. The Browns wanted Jimmy, but they traded all their first-round picks for Watson.

Second, the 9ers have to be a little nervous about Trey Lance, and they're going to keep Jimmy in reserve, just in case Lance falters or gets injured. The 9ers are loaded and don't want to waste this year if Lance isn't the guy.
Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, etc., All these teams will NEED JimmyG if their star QB goes down.

BigBill1945

Reaction score
The Niners are playing their hand close to their chest. I don't think many teams want to pick up his contract but they would jump at him being released. I do not think the Niners want Jimmy G to go to Seattle. They may try to do a cheaper trade to some team outside our division. It should be real interesting in the next week when teams are forced to go down to a 53 man roster.

Own The West

Reaction score
Damn, before he resigned I was gonna say we should sign him to a 1-year prove it and add him to the mix.

I lol’ed at the no tag clause. If he asked for that we probably don’t want him. His ceiling is Alex Smith, not Pat Mahomes.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Damn, before he resigned I was gonna say we should sign him to a 1-year prove it and add him to the mix.

I lol’ed at the no tag clause. If he asked for that we probably don’t want him. His ceiling is Alex Smith, not Pat Mahomes.
I think the no tag clause is just a negotiating tactic if for some reason he became SF's only/best option next year, not as a reflection of how he sees himself. Take the team friendly pay cut now and if the roles reverse next season he either gets a multi-year deal to make up for this year's pay cut or is a free agent. If he performs well enough and the situation lines up enough for the tag to even be in the conversation then he'll do well enough in free agency to walk away from a one year lump sum. Especially with his injury history.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The Niners are so scared that Lance may not work out they are willing to keep Jimmy and restructure his deal.

Jimmy G is also coming off surgery, Niners, know they aren’t going to get a lot for him with after this surgery and knowing other teams know they have Lance waiting.

I wouldn’t have mind Jimmy but the Niners aren’t willing to unload Jimmy knowing he can very well go to Seattle and/or the Niners and Lance may not work and they need a capable QB during this run of theirs.

toffee

Reaction score
Guess we will march into this Superbowl quest with Geno, also known as JimmyG with stronger arm but slower release.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score

might not be an option

it has to take purposeful effort to have the two worst possible starting QBs in the league. Finally, PC has succeeded at something.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Now that JimmyG is off the market due to him restructuring his contract with the 49ers, I think the Seahawks plow ahead with what they have. Carson Strong is being cut from the Eagles, he may be a good candidate for Seahawk PS - https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...A11eJzG?cvid=851f7ba1f5904e87af62191d9f7a8218.

I know many were high on him during the pre-draft. Sounds like he may be a good West Coast fit - strong, accurate arm. The Eagles have Hurts and Minshew so not surprised that he didn't make their roster.

Rat

Reaction score
Damn, we're really going with Geno. In theory we could still trade for Jimmy G and there is at least some precedence for teams trading QBs within the division (Bledsoe, McNabb), but this is probably over. I know teams aren't supposed to be tampering, but I bet he knows what teams would be interested in him, and if he wanted to be in Seattle, he would have forced their hand in cutting him.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Jimmy will be starter after he's completely healed up. Trey will go back to the bench.