If Holmgren Became the new 49ers Coach...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I highly doubt Baalke and York would hire another extremely strong willed veteran coach that wants to do things his way or no way. That'd be Holmgren.

If I had to guess, they'll go after one of the top coordinators like Bowles or Hue Jackson, someone they'd have a little more control over.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1a9iixr9 said:
I highly doubt Baalke and York would hire another extremely strong willed veteran coach that wants to do things his way or no way. That'd be Holmgren.

If I had to guess, they'll go after one of the top coordinators like Bowles or Hue Jackson, someone they'd have a little more control over.

Could be right, but it certainly won't be Bowles. If they wanted to hire a DC they'd just promote their own. If its a current Coordinator it'll be an OC.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":2gr6mn18 said:
Sgt. Largent":2gr6mn18 said:

Could be right, but it certainly won't be Bowles. If they wanted to hire a DC they'd just promote their own. If its a current Coordinator it'll be an OC.

Pep makes more sense than either of those guys IMO. He has a history with the 9ers and a history at Stanford as a WR coach and OC in Harbaugh's offense, where he also worked with Fangio.

Tomsula though. Blaargh.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3qbff5ft said:
Kaepernick is not a west coast QB.

Right?! Kap running WCO under Holmgren? Yes, please. It would be a disaster.

If you want your entire offense to be set up by short, quick throws, you probably don't want the QB who has arguably the worst short-passing accuracy in the league.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well they could really go out on a limb and hire The Ryans, both of them, with the turmoil thats already there it would make for great entertainment.

chris98251

Reaction score
The reason I don't think they go college is too many vets on the team with big personalities and you already have issues. They need a Coach that will bring back discipline but have credibility and winning to back it up. Harbaugh had that and the wheels fell off , I thnk he has lost the team now really without the front office firmly backing him up. The players know whats going on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
chris98251":2w23qmqd said:
The reason I don't think they go college is too many vets on the team with big personalities and you already have issues. They need a Coach that will bring back discipline but have credibility and winning to back it up. Harbaugh had that and the wheels fell off , I thnk he has lost the team now really without the front office firmly backing him up. The players know whats going on.

One of the reasons I think they'll stay in house.

If it is a college coach, it would have to be a big name, IE an Urban Meyer.

I think it'll be in house though.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":3jk4atzz said:
chris98251":3jk4atzz said:

No way in HELL does Baalke bring in a big name coach. The big name coach comes in AFTER Baalke proves that he sucks as a GM...so, after next year.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":1xsjcsoc said:
Marvin49":1xsjcsoc said:
chris98251":1xsjcsoc said:

No way in HELL does Baalke bring in a big name coach. The big name coach comes in AFTER Baalke proves that he sucks as a GM...so, after next year.

Well, before he hired Harbaugh he went after Parcells, so not so sure.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ Yep, as leaked by Parcells in his memoir. You can't really go bigger name than that.

And although Harbaugh was a college coach, that year he was definitely as big of a name as you could get from the college ranks (hence all the competition for him).

Still think they promote Tomsula, though.

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":9zn79neu said:
^^^^ Yep, as leaked by Parcells in his memoir. You can't really go bigger name than that.

And although Harbaugh was a college coach, that year he was definitely as big of a name as you could get from the college ranks (hence all the competition for him).

Well, he needed a big name and a public display of "whatever it takes to win" to get his new stadium. Throwing Parcells name around does nothing to dispel that belief.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":2h70tt7n said:
Popeyejones":2h70tt7n said:

Well, he needed a big name and a public display of "whatever it takes to win" to get his new stadium. Throwing Parcells name around does nothing to dispel that belief.

Nice conspiracy theory, but Parcells' name wasn't ever even hinted at by anyone, let alone thrown around as a pubic display. Nobody knew anything about this until Parcell's ghost-wrote about it recently. If they were leveraging it (and the timing doesn't even remotely add up to begin with) everyone wouldn't be hearing about it for the first time from Parcells four years after the fact.

Nice try, though? ;)

pehawk

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1e9cur2w said:
pehawk":1e9cur2w said:
Popeyejones":1e9cur2w said:

Nice conspiracy theory, but Parcells' name wasn't ever even hinted at by anyone, let alone thrown around as a pubic display. Nobody knew anything about this until Parcell's ghost-wrote about it recently. If they were leveraging it (and the timing doesn't even remotely add up to begin with) everyone wouldn't be hearing about it for the first time from Parcells four years after the fact.

Nice try, though? ;)

Never said he wanted to "leak" big names to get his stadium. He needed to land a big name to get one. Harbaugh was a pretty big one, especially in that area.

He'll go back to the Nolan's, Singletary's, current assistant route now.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
pehawk":34445270 said:
He'll go back to the Nolan's, Singletary's, current assistant route now.

Agreed that they'll likely promote from within and likely won't bring on some big outside power player, but I think that has EVERYTHING to do with them thinking that they generally have a good thing going and don't need a huge shake-up*, and almost nothing to do with what you're attributing it to.

If anything the 9ers got the stadium because 1) they made it the singular mission of Gideon Yu to get it done and he had incredible ties to the area (he's the former CFO of Facebook and YouTube and SVP of Yahoo; he's widely respected in the valley) and 2) they were winning which always greases wheels and the stories municipalities can tell themselves about what a new stadium will bring. Who the head coach was had very little to do with it, IMO (particularly a guy like Harbaugh, who is pretty old school in his demeanor (which couldn't play worse there), and who has never been known for his ability to soft shoe, to say the least. :lol: ).

*Not saying this is true, it may or may not be true, but my sense is that this is at least what they believe, and what general public perception is. I don't think anyone actually believes this 9ers team is like the team Carroll inherited and completely overhauled.

Marvin49

Reaction score
pehawk":v4vgy74m said:
Popeyejones":v4vgy74m said:

Well that wasn't released until the Memoir came out just a few weeks ago.