If Harbaugh Leaves SF, Will You Be Disappointed?

Brahn

Reaction score
Wish someone was able to make a gif of Harbaugh freaking out as Singletary hangs dong.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3ssjb7w4 said:
sutz":3ssjb7w4 said:
I've never really joined in the juvenile Harbaugh-bashing around here, though much of it has been amusing. We'll lost that, I suppose, though I suspect we'll just transfer it to whatever new guy goes there, if it happens.

I think it entirely depends on if the team under that new guy poses a threat to the Hawks or not.

If he does Hawks fans will hate him, and if not they'll just make fun of him.

This is based on a contingent of 9ers fans hating Russell Wilson "because" he's a no-personality robot (the correct response to which is "lol whatever.")

It's based on one of the top threads in this forum right now being about how Colin "Capernick" is too stupid to be an NFL quarterback "because" he committed a malapropism in an off-season interview (the correct response to which is "lol whatever.")
Ahhhhhhhh, someone's bottom hurts ^
You and your team are always the victim of Seattle and the fanbase!
Must suck to be you cherishing the victim role all of the time.

As a public service announcement and reminder......YOU are posting on a SEATTLE SEAHAWKS forum, and yet you are expecting to be greeted by roses and candy hearts.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
It's a good/bad deal in my book. Love beating the guy and watching him go bat crap crazy on the sidelines, and the Seattle players pretty much hate him so it elevates their play, so that would suck if he left, but watching the meltdown and the spin (already started happening here thanks to a couple of SF clowns) will be oh so precious. The whiner fanbase is already one of the most unstable, this will make them go full crazy town, despite what the resident SF trolls claim.

kearly

Reaction score
Home playoff games in Seattle every year for the foreseeable future. I'd be giddy.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1gr2t8s1 said:

As a public service announcement and reminder......YOU are posting on a SEATTLE SEAHAWKS forum, and yet you are expecting to be greeted by roses and candy hearts.

Uhhh, it seems like you didn't notice that my first example was some 9ers fan being impossibly stupid for making up dumb reasons to justify why they hate Russell Wilson so much. I was singling out 9ers fans first precisely to say this is far from one-sided and definitely goes both ways for some segments of each fanbase.

Sorry, but I have no idea how you're reading that as me playing the victim. If there is a new guy and his 9ers are threatening to the Hawks you guys will hate him. If there is a new guy and his 9ers aren't threatening to the Hawks you'll just make fun of him. It would be EXACTLY the same with 9ers fans if Pete Carroll retired and someone else came in. It's a totally benign statement that you're trying to turn into some weird fight, man. :)

Hawks46

Reaction score
Brahn":3l2qhsng said:
The rivalry would take a serious hit. Now imagine if Holmgren became the new coach of the Niners.

If Holmgren coached the Niners, we would faceroll them every game. Holmgren would turn them into a Denver-lite.

I had to honestly think about it, and the answer to me is: I'd actually be a slight bit disappointed. I had to go back and think about what I thought about the Niners before Harbaugh. And, honestly, I didn't really hate them much. We owned them berfore Harbaugh, and that fan base was pretty beat down. You heard a few "five rings" comments but I went to the game there in 07, and I had a blast. Niners fans were personable and low key. Only one guy even razzed me for wearing my Tatupu jersey.

This leads me to believe the team is a personification of the HC. Like several others mentioned, the NFC West being so good makes us that much better. We thunderstomped the Broncos, and it was because they never saw it coming. They hadn't faced a team like us all year; including facing us in preseason. We were harder and sharper after the year.

Thinking back to my Niners "hate" and I realize that most of the d-bags in the Niners fan base are most likely bandwagon fans that really started following the team when success hit. I really hope our fan base doesn't turn into that.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1v5fn0k6 said:
Popeyejones":1v5fn0k6 said:
sutz":1v5fn0k6 said:
I've never really joined in the juvenile Harbaugh-bashing around here, though much of it has been amusing. We'll lost that, I suppose, though I suspect we'll just transfer it to whatever new guy goes there, if it happens.

I think it entirely depends on if the team under that new guy poses a threat to the Hawks or not.

This is based on a contingent of 9ers fans hating Russell Wilson "because" he's a no-personality robot (the correct response to which is "lol whatever.")

It's based on one of the top threads in this forum right now being about how Colin "Capernick" is too stupid to be an NFL quarterback "because" he committed a malapropism in an off-season interview (the correct response to which is "lol whatever.")

Whoah, relax man. Popeye actually called certain Niners fans idiots in an earlier post, then posted 2 dumb comments fans make from both sides to make a point.

Just because he's not kissing your ass because you're a Hawk fan, and this is a Hawk site, doesn't mean he can't post.

Don't turn into the thing you hate.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Hawks46":x3avypkg said:
I had to go back and think about what I thought about the Niners before Harbaugh. And, honestly, I didn't really hate them much. We owned them berfore Harbaugh, and that fan base was pretty beat down. You heard a few "five rings" comments but I went to the game there in 07, and I had a blast. Niners fans were personable and low key. Only one guy even razzed me for wearing my Tatupu jersey.

This leads me to believe the team is a personification of the HC...

Thinking back to my Niners "hate" and I realize that most of the d-bags in the Niners fan base are most likely bandwagon fans that really started following the team when success hit. I really hope our fan base doesn't turn into that.

I think it really has more to do with posing a threat or not. Those 9ers teams you're talking about didn't pose a threat to you, and your team didn't pose a threat to them because they sucked anyway. As a result folks were nicer to each other.

Your post makes me think back to what 9ers fans thought of Hawks fans three years ago (in 2011) when the 9ers went 13-3 and the Hawks were rebuilding and mediocre and didn't really pose a threat to them. Even three years ago I don't think 9ers fans had much negative to say about Hawks fans. It wasn't til the Hawks started winning and really posed a threat (i.e. the second half of the 2012 season on) that Hawks fans became "the absolute worst" to some 9ers fans.

Now that both teams are competitive and are actually threats to each other, I think the "threat" makes each fan base think the other one is "the worst", and the segments that are so inclined probably ARE WORSE too (the bandwagoners, and just the mouth breathers being much more vocal).

Sorry if this didn't make sense. I was thinking through it as I went. :)

Jville

Reaction score
Disappointed? No.

I think management views Harbaugh as just an employee. His departure would represent nothing more than a turnover of coaching.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawks46":1isju73w said:
Sports Hernia":1isju73w said:
Popeyejones":1isju73w said:
sutz":1isju73w said:

Whoah, relax man. Popeye actually called certain Niners fans idiots in an earlier post, then posted 2 dumb comments fans make from both sides to make a point.

Just because he's not kissing your ass because you're a Hawk fan, and this is a Hawk site, doesn't mean he can't post.

Don't turn into the thing you hate.
:roll: Oh brother!
That went right over your head if you think I want a niner troll to kiss my ass...... :34853_doh:

Maybe you can add him as a new facebook friend.

rigelian

Reaction score
Kixkahn":3mg7ycq7 said:
We will lose our entertaining tantrums. Maybe they will find someone similar.
Greg Schiano might make a good replacement. He certainly meets the unlikabilty criteria. However, he seems to reserve his tantrums for the practice field rather than in games. Thus, he would be a step backwards from Harbaugh pure entertainment on game day. On the other hand players seem to leak more nasty things about Schiano than Harbaugh so that has some value.

chris98251

Reaction score
What I would not like to see is Quinn as HC and Richard as DC there.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Was just watching "Rush" and I couldn't help but think... "Harbaugh is Nikki Lauda, guy is good but he's just such an ass".

I'd be sad to see Harbaugh go anywhere. The competition is great and his sideline melt downs are the lifeblood of my internet enjoyment.

rigelian

Reaction score
Popeyejones":tv370t6h said:
Sorry, but I have no idea how you're reading that as me playing the victim. If there is a new guy and his 9ers are threatening to the Hawks you guys will hate him. If there is a new guy and his 9ers aren't threatening to the Hawks you'll just make fun of him. It would be EXACTLY the same with 9ers fans if Pete Carroll retired and someone else came in. It's a totally benign statement that you're trying to turn into some weird fight, man. :)

I think you're wrong here. I remember well the period of time when the Rams were our biggest competitor in the NFC West and the 49ers were irrelevant. We might not have liked Mike Martz, but the amount of abuse we directed toward his direction pales in comparison to the abuse we direct toward Harbaugh. You just have to face it Harbaugh is a unique talent. His whiney enraged demeanor invites opposing fans, media and now it appears his own front office to disrespect him.

OP
OP
G

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
I think the point that Harbaugh is a unique talent is spot on. I'm a 38er, and I've "hated" on many teams over the years: Stealers (early 70s), Oakland (early 80s), Denver (since 1984), and many more. In my experience, it's easy to "hate" on a team, and perhaps even selected individual players (e.g. Mr. Ed), but when it comes to coaches, Harbaugh is in a class of his own (and it's not close). In many ways, he is a wonderful spice to our division rivalry; if he leaves, for me our rivalry becomes a bit blander.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rigelian":26a58ifo said:
I think you're wrong here. I remember well the period of time when the Rams were our biggest competitor in the NFC West and the 49ers were irrelevant. We might not have liked Mike Martz, but the amount of abuse we directed toward his direction pales in comparison to the abuse we direct toward Harbaugh. You just have to face it Harbaugh is a unique talent. His whiney enraged demeanor invites opposing fans, media and now it appears his own front office to disrespect him.

Are you talking 2004-2006?

If so

2004:
Seahawks 9-7
Rams 8-8

Seahawks 13-3
Rams 6-10

2006:
Seahawks 9-7
Rams 8-8

I think 13-3 versus 12-4 and 11-4-1 versus 11-5 inspires a bit more passion that battling your rival to get a game above .500 on the year.

The thing for me about the "Harbaugh is just special" argument is that in my experience among fans of different teams it's suspiciously just Seahawks fans who he inspires hatred in. For fans of all other teams I know they think he's a very good coach, and his sideline antics just inspire amusement and eye-rolling, nothing close to hatred.

TBH, among non-9ers and non-Hawks fans, I'm not even sure Harbaugh's sideline tomfoolery tops Carroll's USC scandal, 9/11 truther-ism, and PED scandals as far as inspiring hatred goes. I'm not taking a shot at Carroll AT ALL (he's done an incredibly special thing with the Hawks), just pointing out that if there was something really special about Harbaugh that makes him hateable we'd see it from all fans, and not just Seahawks fans. The same is true of Colin Kaepernick. The same is true of Russell Wilson. The same is true of Kam Chancellor and Golden Tate. These are all guys that almost exclusively hated solely by the fans of their rival team. I mean, there are 9ers fans who HATE Russell Wilson for not being hateable enough. C'mon! :)

rigelian

Reaction score
Popeyejones":lk5l5x7z said:
rigelian":lk5l5x7z said:

Are you talking 2004-2006?

If so

2004:
Seahawks 9-7
Rams 8-8

Seahawks 13-3
Rams 6-10

2006:
Seahawks 9-7
Rams 8-8

I think 13-3 versus 12-4 and 11-4-1 versus 11-5 inspires a bit more passion that battling your rival to get a game above .500 on the year.

The thing for me about the "Harbaugh is just special" argument is that in my experience among fans of different teams it's suspiciously just Seahawks fans who he inspires hatred in. For fans of all other teams I know they think he's a very good coach, and his sideline antics just inspire amusement and eye-rolling, nothing close to hatred.

TBH, among non-9ers and non-Hawks fans, I'm not even sure Harbaugh's sideline tomfoolery tops Carroll's USC scandal, 9/11 truther-ism, and PED scandals as far as inspiring hatred goes. I'm not taking a shot at Carroll AT ALL (he's done an incredibly special thing with the Hawks), just pointing out that if there was something really special about Harbaugh that makes him hateable we'd see it from all fans, and not just Seahawks fans. The same is true of Colin Kaepernick. The same is true of Russell Wilson. The same is true of Kam Chancellor and Golden Tate. These are all guys that almost exclusively hated solely by the fans of their rival team. I mean, there are 9ers fans who HATE Russell Wilson for not being hateable enough. C'mon! :)

I'm actually talking 2003 to 2006. The Rams/Seahawk battle was intense. Unlike with 49ers, they actually beat us in a playoff game.

Mike Martz didn't generate anything close to this disdain. Not even close. As for Carroll, a lot of it comes from the US thing.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
On a bright noisy sideline, my spit clung to my hair,
Pieces of my thrown clipboard, rising up through the air.
Up ahead in the end zone, I saw a shimmering blight
The ball grew heavy and my hopes grew dim, the Tip just ruined my night.
Kaepernick failed in the Clink again; I heard the piped in crowd noise swell.
And I was thinking of facing York and Baalke, "This could be Hell or this could be Hell"
Then Cleveland lit up a candle and showed me the way,
There were voices in Levi's Stadium,
I know I heard them say...

You've worn out your welcome in California,
Such a lonely place,
Such a lonely face.
Plenty of rage at headquarters, California,
Any time of year,
You can find it here.

Kaep's mind is turnover-twisted, the Tip we cannot mend,
He's got a lot of pretty, pretty turtles- he calls friends.
My brother beat us the same way, Crabtree's mediocre steps,
Some fight with the team to remember, I need some cake to forget.

I called down to the team's cook, "Please have my cake ready at nine,"
He sobbed, "We haven't had a championship here since nineteen ninety five!"
And still Shermadderall is calling from far away,
I hear "LoB!" in the middle of the night
I need to get away...

Who's got it worse than me in Mediocre, California?
How about Ohio?
My pocketbook will grow.
Were raging it up in headquarters, California
What a big surprise,
I have no alibi.

I've just hit my ceiling, midget Wilson's beat me thrice.
Pete the cheat says, "You are just a prisoner here, of our own device."
And in the Clink's chambers, they gather for a feast.
We try to stab him with our steely knives, but we just can't kill the Beast.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
But my wife had to drag me back to the hell I was in before
"Relax," said the Seahawks, "We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never have a Lombardi."

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nidov63 said:

I talk to a lot of fans of other NFL teams and Harbaugh is pretty universally seen as a loon. He's considered a good coach, because he is, but he's also seen as a nutcase with anger management issues. Some people have certain opinions of Carroll from his USC days. He also gets laughed at because of his sideline antics, seeing as he runs around like someone half his age and no one else in the NFL really behaves that way, but it's not really seen as a negative. More as something to laugh at. Similar to Harbaugh.

No one is really going to hate someone outside of their division or some other rivalry because there just isn't the investment there. I used to hate the Steelers, I guess I still do, but I don't even think about them anymore because they are largely irrelevant.

In this way, I would not want to see Harbaugh leave. Football is more fun with someone worth hating. Especially when you beat them.

You seem to post a lot pretending to be unbiased. Why pretend? You are not actually able to be so in a conversation of Harbaugh vs. Carroll, or Niners vs. Hawks. You can still post your opinion when not up on your high horse.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Lady Talon":1p608es8 said:
On a bright noisy sideline, my spit clung to my hair,
Pieces of my thrown clipboard, rising up through the air.
Up ahead in the end zone, I saw a shimmering blight
The ball grew heavy and my hopes grew dim, the Tip just ruined my night.
Kaepernick failed in the Clink again; I heard the piped in crowd noise swell.
And I was thinking of facing York and Baalke, "This could be Hell or this could be Hell"
Then Cleveland lit up a candle and showed me the way,
There were voices in Levi's Stadium,
I know I heard them say...

You've worn out your welcome in California,
Such a lonely place,
Such a lonely face.
Plenty of rage at headquarters, California,
Any time of year,
You can find it here.

Kaep's mind is turnover-twisted, the Tip we cannot mend,
He's got a lot of pretty, pretty turtles- he calls friends.
My brother beat us the same way, Crabtree's mediocre steps,
Some fight with the team to remember, I need some cake to forget.

I called down to the team's cook, "Please have my cake ready at nine,"
He sobbed, "We haven't had a championship here since nineteen ninety five!"
And still Shermadderall is calling from far away,
I hear "LoB!" in the middle of the night
I need to get away...

Who's got it worse than me in Mediocre, California?
How about Ohio?
My pocketbook will grow.
Were raging it up in headquarters, California
What a big surprise,
I have no alibi.

I've just hit my ceiling, midget Wilson's beat me thrice.
Pete the cheat says, "You are just a prisoner here, of our own device."
And in the Clink's chambers, they gather for a feast.
We try to stab him with our steely knives, but we just can't kill the Beast.

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door
But my wife had to drag me back to the hell I was in before
"Relax," said the Seahawks, "We are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never have a Lombardi."
Genius