If Brown holds out into the season?

rcaido

Reaction score
had2bhawk":22wxno08 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think he played a full season last year. Nothing against DW by any means. He has been great for the Hawks through the years but remember he is 36.Staying in shape after 14 years at 315lbs is asking alot. Sorry but age does catch up. To say he will be top 10 this coming year I think will be a stretch.

Did you watch last season? One of the best in his career. Played all games and was in the top 5 in his position.

snowleopard

Reaction score
Bench him.
He is 36. If he holds out for the season then nobody will go near him at that age.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Top 5? Didn't see that, my bad. Started 16. Can't imagine what the problem is. Can you?

RiverDog

Reaction score
had2bhawk":38qx9exp said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't think he played a full season last year. Nothing against DW by any means. He has been great for the Hawks through the years but remember he is 36.Staying in shape after 14 years at 315lbs is asking alot. Sorry but age does catch up. To say he will be top 10 this coming year I think will be a stretch.

The problem is that we do not have a viable option to replace Brown in the lineup, and combined with the importance of the position, we don't have a lot of leverage. Even if Brown were to miss just a couple of games, it could make a huge difference in our post season prospects. We've placed ourselves in a bad spot.

I guess it depends on how we view our team. If we think that we're just a player or two away from a SB appearance, then we have to get Brown in the lineup. If we're worried about 2 or 3 years down the road, then due to his age, it would make sense to play hardball with him, not extend his contract beyond the current season.

RiverDog

Reaction score
RiverDog":1fi1bh5d said:
had2bhawk":1fi1bh5d said:

The problem is that we do not have a viable option to replace Brown in the lineup, and combined with the importance of the position, we don't have a lot of leverage. Even if Brown were to miss just a couple of games, it could make a huge difference in our post season prospects. It would have been nice if we could have used one of those draft picks we spent to acquire Jamal Adams on a left tackle prospect that we could have been grooming as an eventual replacement for Brown. We've placed ourselves in a bad spot.

I guess it depends on how we view our team. If we think that we're just a player or two away from a SB appearance, then we have to get Brown in the lineup. If we're worried about 2 or 3 years down the road, then due to his age, it would make sense to play hardball with him, not extend his contract beyond the current season.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":tgxa5072 said:
RiverDog":tgxa5072 said:
had2bhawk":tgxa5072 said:

The problem is that we do not have a viable option to replace Brown in the lineup, and combined with the importance of the position, we don't have a lot of leverage. Even if Brown were to miss just a couple of games, it could make a huge difference in our post season prospects. It would have been nice if we could have used one of those draft picks we spent to acquire Jamal Adams on a left tackle prospect that we could have been grooming as an eventual replacement for Brown. We've placed ourselves in a bad spot.

Kinda looks like hardball at this point.

RiverDog

Reaction score
had2bhawk":1dt9hnl1 said:
RiverDog":1dt9hnl1 said:
RiverDog":1dt9hnl1 said:
had2bhawk":1dt9hnl1 said:

Kinda looks like hardball at this point.

Two weeks until the opener it sure looks that way, doesn't it?

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Time to play hardball with him. I doubt he'd be willing to skip the season and pass up $10 million at his age. Even if he signed a bigger contract with someone else next year (unlikely) he'll never make up the $10 million he'll lose by sitting out 2021. This would also serve as notice for any other player trying to hold us up down the road.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1xhs368f said:
Time to play hardball with him. I doubt he'd be willing to skip the season and pass up $10 million at his age. Even if he signed a bigger contract with someone else next year (unlikely) he'll never make up the $10 million he'll lose by sitting out 2021. This would also serve as notice for any other player trying to hold us up down the road.

100% with you on this. I would not budge if I’m the Hawks. Hate these “hold ins” and if allied fine any players that do it. Could you imagine Lombardi or Parcells going through this?

had2bhawk

Reaction score
I'm tired of his antics. Let him sit. Waldon will come up with a scheme to eliminate the pressure with backs and T-ends. Curhan and Forsythe will develop enough to eventually fill the void at the left side.

tom95

Reaction score
JayhawkMike":1afmbdlr said:
I am sooooo tired every year having a couple of asshats b!@ch and moan and threaten to hold out or demand a trade when they have another year left on their deal. You signed a deal. Honor it.
Exactly! I agree.

John63

Reaction score
tom95":3gpkazqd said:
JayhawkMike":3gpkazqd said:
I am sooooo tired every year having a couple of asshats b!@ch and moan and threaten to hold out or demand a trade when they have another year left on their deal. You signed a deal. Honor it.
Exactly! I agree.

Well to a point I understand that but the teams don't honor them all the time so why should the players. I guess under your scenario there shall be no striking, no unions, etc etc. I don't like them holding out but I get it, it really is the only thing they can do. The system is very heavily skewed towards the teams unless you are a QB and even then it still favors the team.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
For some reason, people in this country usually like to assign nefarious intentions to the party that doesn't hold the power in any given dynamic. Likely projection.

Example: Player is a bitch for holding out, but team is not a bitch for routinely terminating contracts.

kf3339

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":2sq7jz6i said:
hawks85":2sq7jz6i said:
kf3339":2sq7jz6i said:
Sgt. Largent":2sq7jz6i said:
I can't imagine at age 36 in the last year of his deal that Brown would be willing to miss 500k game checks.

This is it for him, he's got maybe 2-3 more years of making 5-10M. To give up that kind of money to try and force the Hawk's hand in an extension? That they won't cave into?

Can't see it.

Agreed. He's not holding out and we shouldn't give him an extension. There is no way any other team is going to trade for or sign him at 36 years old for anything close to this years salary. If he persists in wanting an extension and does hold out then sign an FA and cut him. At some point you have to call the bluff, or cut bait. Sorry, but that's my take.

Yup, I couldn't care less if Brown plays this season or not. Everyone acting like Brown is the savior of this team. Dude is 36 and has 1 year left on his contract. He's making 10 mil this season WTF is b!@ch and moaning about. 10 mil for a 36 year old Lineman is a lot of damn money.

Asinine. 'Hawk fans wring their hands for years over subpar pass protection then get a left tackle who puts up seasons of arguably top-5 pass protection, and then you've got posts like this diminishing his impact.

So are you saying that $10M for this year is an insult to him? At his age, being hurt and missing games last year?

If you ask me this should have been decided by now. The team knows the depth behind him, so they must be really confident he will play for game one. I don't see him missing any paychecks at all. Perhaps a per game bonus to tweak the last year, but that should be enough.

John63

Reaction score
kf3339":1zxmgboh said:
Maelstrom787":1zxmgboh said:
hawks85":1zxmgboh said:
kf3339":1zxmgboh said:
Agreed. He's not holding out and we shouldn't give him an extension. There is no way any other team is going to trade for or sign him at 36 years old for anything close to this years salary. If he persists in wanting an extension and does hold out then sign an FA and cut him. At some point you have to call the bluff, or cut bait. Sorry, but that's my take.

Yup, I couldn't care less if Brown plays this season or not. Everyone acting like Brown is the savior of this team. Dude is 36 and has 1 year left on his contract. He's making 10 mil this season WTF is b!@ch and moaning about. 10 mil for a 36 year old Lineman is a lot of damn money.

Asinine. 'Hawk fans wring their hands for years over subpar pass protection then get a left tackle who puts up seasons of arguably top-5 pass protection, and then you've got posts like this diminishing his impact.

So are you saying that $10M for this year is an insult to him? At his age, being hurt and missing games last year?

If you ask me this should have been decided by now. The team knows the depth behind him, so they must be really confident he will play for game one. I don't see him missing any paychecks at all. Perhaps a per game bonus to tweak the last year, but that should be enough.

ahh you do know he played every game last year right, and in fact, he has played 44 of the 48 possible games in the 3 full seasons he has been here right, and in both seasons where he played 16 games, he was top 5 RT. And he also played all 9 games the year we traded for him. So in the 4 seasons, we have had him he has missed just 4 games. So your premise is not correct. Last I checked a top 5 LT is a good thing.

John63

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":ks36hyna said:
For some reason, people in this country usually like to assign nefarious intentions to the party that doesn't hold the power in any given dynamic. Likely projection.

Example: Player is a b!@ch for holding out, but team is not a b!@ch for routinely terminating contracts.

exactly.

kf3339

Reaction score
John63":2lvawqbs said:
kf3339":2lvawqbs said:
Maelstrom787":2lvawqbs said:
hawks85":2lvawqbs said:

ahh you do know he played every game last year right, and in fact, he has played 44 of the 48 possible games in the 3 full seasons he has been here right, and in both seasons where he played 16 games, he was top 5 RT. And he also played all 9 games the year we traded for him. So in the 4 seasons, we have had him he has missed just 4 games. So your premise is not correct. Last I checked a top 5 LT is a good thing.[/quot

I remember him missing games. Perhaps it was year before last. My mistake.

But top 5? Upper half, probably.

Still wouldn't extend past this year.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
John63":3l3smnr9 said:
tom95":3l3smnr9 said:
JayhawkMike":3l3smnr9 said:
Exactly! I agree.

Well to a point I understand that but the teams don't honor them all the time so why should the players. I guess under your scenario there shall be no striking, no unions, etc etc. I don't like them holding out but I get it, it really is the only thing they can do. The system is very heavily skewed towards the teams unless you are a QB and even then it still favors the team.

The problem I have with this argument is that players when they sign their contract know there is a chance (legally by the terms of the contract) that the team at some point can cut them and void the contract (agin legally). If a player decides to not honor the terms of the contract (like Brown in this case) then they are illegally wanting to void the terms that they agreed to and signed. If Brown thought 3 years ago that he may want more money at this point then he either should not have signed or had it put in the contract.

Teams cannot illegally void a contract however players do it all the time.

Sorry but the players are wrong in these scenarios.

John63

Reaction score
seabowl":jdnfk8t2 said:
John63":jdnfk8t2 said:
tom95":jdnfk8t2 said:
JayhawkMike":jdnfk8t2 said:
Exactly! I agree.

The problem I have with this argument is that players when they sign their contract know there is a chance (legally by the terms of the contract) that the team at some point can cut them and void the contract (agin legally). If a player decides to not honor the terms of the contract (like Brown in this case) then they are illegally wanting to void the terms that they agreed to and signed. If Brown thought 3 years ago that he may want more money at this point then he either should not have signed or had it put in the contract.

Teams cannot illegally void a contract however players do it all the time.

Sorry but the players are wrong in these scenarios.

and the teams know there is a chance they dont resign, or they hold out. There is nothing in the contract the prohibits them from holding out. Just like ther is nothing in the contract that says the team cant release them, put them on some list etc etc. Now keep in mind this is all the legal stuff we all know that teams come up with crap all the time, the mysterious injury, failure to comply, the mysteries did not follow team rules etc etc. No matter how you slice it the teams have mos of the leverage in every situation, all the player scan do is hold out or wait and change teams. Think of it as sticking which they have every right to do.

John63

Reaction score
kf3339":169hi3ha said:
John63":169hi3ha said:
kf3339":169hi3ha said:
Maelstrom787":169hi3ha said:

ahh you do know he played every game last year right, and in fact, he has played 44 of the 48 possible games in the 3 full seasons he has been here right, and in both seasons where he played 16 games, he was top 5 RT. And he also played all 9 games the year we traded for him. So in the 4 seasons, we have had him he has missed just 4 games. So your premise is not correct. Last I checked a top 5 LT is a good thing.[/quot

I remember him missing games. Perhaps it was year before last. My mistake.

But top 5? Upper half, probably.

Still wouldn't extend past this year.

PFF had him graded as the 5th best in both facets of other game

"Brown enjoyed one of the best seasons of his 13-year career, posting a grade north of 80.0 in both facets and an 87.8 overall mark that ranked fifth at the position. No matter what happens in 2021, Brown has already established himself as one of the best tackles PFF has ever seen."

They ranked him as 11th coming into 2021 either way better than anyone else we have.