I think Robbie Ray will be better in 2023

ivotuk

Reaction score
He struggled this year, and managed to add a 2-Seam pitch (whatever that is) to his repertoire that made his pitches harder to predict. But I think he needs to work on the same thing that NFL QBs work on, and that is to make every play look the same.

I say this because after I saw the Astros tear him up, I naturally got suspicious that they could tell what was coming. And even Ryan Rowland-Smith said "I think Robbie's telegraphing his pitches."

I also heard a podcast that was talking about Robbie spending all last off season with a set up in his back yard, looking for small ways to improve his pitching. There's no way, IMHO, that he doesn't go through this off season, studying this year's pitching, and seeing where he might be able to improve. Looking for any kind of give aways in his pitching process.

If he can do all that, next year we'll have a rotation of 2 Cy Young winners, and 1 future Cy Young winner in George Kirby. Logan Gilbert is an excellent pitcher too that I only expect to get better.

I think if that works out, all we need is another good bat. Maybe Winker gets back to his All Star status, or maybe we pick up a .300+ hitter (or 2), to help out our elite pitching staff.

Either way, I can't wait until Spring Training. This year got me back in to Baseball, and I'm looking forward to a lot of fun next summer.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
A little off topic, but:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I hope he's better. He certainly has been better.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
In February, a video on social media showed righthander Bryce Miller topping 100 mph in a bullpen session.

That provided a glimpse of things to come.

During minor league spring training, the hard-throwing 23-year-old from Texas A&M showcased the electric arsenal that prompted the Mariners to make him their fourth-round pick last year.

“I wouldn’t say he surprised people, but I think it was a little bit of his coming-out party in spring training to the larger group,” Mariners farm director Andy McKay said. “Because the stuff—it was overwhelming.

“It’s electric, no matter how you break it down.”

It all starts with Miller’s high-90s fastball, which has elite ride up in the zone and can reach triple digits.

He complements that with a hard, mid-80s slider that serves as an effective secondary pitch.

He also has what McKay described as a “very usable” changeup and curveball.

“There’s a lot of weapons there,” McKay said.

sutz

Reaction score
Right now Robbie is arguably our 3rd/4th best pitcher. He needs to work on his game for sure.

The last 2-3 years, Jerry has been loading our farm system up with a bunch of pitchers. Wouldn't surprise me if another young stud pops up in spring. Kirby's innings count might be ready for a full load next year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
BROCK AND SALK Hour 3-D-Mac 104.3 The Fan, Denver, Ryan Divish Seattle Times

What are things like in Denver this morning? Who is on the chopping block? We invite D-Mac from our sister station in Denver to discuss the state of the Broncos and they are not holding back on how things are unfolding with Russell Wilson.

FUN STUFF :p

With the Mariners season officially in the rear-view and now a huge offseason ahead with a lot of questions to ask, Brock & Salk are joined by Mariners beat reporter Ryan Divish (Seattle Times) who shares his insights on the team.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He needs to learn another pitch and throw it often. Hitters can and did “sit” on one of his 2 pitches.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with him. He can be very good when he's on. But man, when he is off? It's like BP Marco all over again.

nwHawk

Reaction score
I think Robbie should add a cutter.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So much for better..I have to wonder how long this arm injury
has been bothering him.
I hope it's minor and he makes it back but history tells us these
strains don't usually end well.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
One of the dumbest decision a manager has ever made. I'm STILL pissed about it. Ray out of the bullpen? My god, idiotic.
Definitely another decision on the the pile of poor choices.
And Friday added another. Servais should’ve had the pen up as soon as they tied it at 3. It was obvious Ray didn’t have it and with the quick drop in velocity there was no chance to hold Cleveland off. Considering it was Rays first start I don’t understand stretching him when it had to be obvious to the trainer that something was not right.

I’m not too worried about the 1-3 start but with the Angels coming in and another set vs Cleveland they could be in a bad place real quick. I know it a long road ahead but it gets much much longer if they are 10 games out before the end of April…