I’m all for a tank job this season

Rat

Reaction score
Not this early; I obsess too much about the team to already watch losses. If we get to week 12 and are something like 4-8, then I'd be on board with playing all the younger guys and likely losing those closing games.

Also, with no second round pick, the draft position is not quite as tempting.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Just one year removed from Malik McDowell and ALREADY we're back to thinking that draft picks are sure things.

Seahawker

Reaction score
The last time we "tanked" was 92' (2-14) and it got us Rick Mirer at #2 overall.
Hard to understand why some Hawk fans expectations are so deluded, maybe being cheated one SB and throwing another away has something to do with it? Years of high picks never helped the Lions or Browns and the Patriots thrive without them. We have the owner, coach, GM, QB and are missing less pieces than some in here think. Try to enjoy the season.

bandiger

Reaction score
HawkNuts":g5s5p0v4 said:
If we can find a legit Defensive End in the first round of the draft, I'm in on the tank as well.

2019 has some great defensive front talent in the top 5. I wouldn't mind a Bosa or Oliver to build the defense around. Its a dream but RW is too good to allow them to tank into that type of talent.

adeltaY

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":25xi0osp said:
Just one year removed from Malik McDowell and ALREADY we're back to thinking that draft picks are sure things.

This is the problem with people criticising the Mack trade too IMO. Proven, expensive, HoF type pass rusher is worth more than saved cap space and a couple first rounders.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Tanking is a joke. Compete and try to win every game. This franchise does nothing with early picks anyways. I also dont get this hatred i've been seeing for Wilson. This club finally has a franchise QB and people want to show him the door. Head shaker for sure.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
I just can't look on the spectre of any possible tanking with anything but horror. Surely a team plays every down, and every special teams play, to the utmost of their ability! Even "accepting" losses (let alone any hint of "seeking" them, to get higher draft picks)... seems to me like a lack of respect and character in the pursuit of excellence in the game of American football which we love.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!

zetes

Reaction score
Tank after the first game? LOL! Just a small over reaction. Remember 2005 when we lost 26-14 to Jacksonville? We did all right that year in hindsight. I cheered for WAY WORSE Seahawk teams over the last decades just 'praying" for a shot at the playoffs so I will give them a few weeks to show what they can do.
Z.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I think tanking the season is a great idea. With a top 5 pick we might get the best defensive player in the draft. A player who pundits all say is the surest pick in the draft. We could get the next ...Aaron Curry... :roll:

The draft process is not fantasy football. It’s not Madden. Roughly 50% of all first round picks end up as busts. Last year, the Seahawks were lucky enough to sign the second pick of the 2013 draft in ...Luke Joeckel. Need I go on?!

Stop basing future success on how high the team picks in the draft!!!

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Initially, when I saw this I thought it was crazy.

Shooting for the #1 pick almost never works, specifically when the #1 pick is a QB. We already have a QB but if we wanted to replace him - we would have a 1 in 3 chance of getting even a Staffordesque quality pick. Go look at QBs picked 1st.

Even the Luck pick did not really pan out. But you also have Smith, Russell, Cam, Bradford, Stafford, Palmer and Carr.

The star QBs? Brees, Rodgers, Brady, and Wilson (if you want to call him Elite) all came in the later picks.

But have a QB that is going to need to make $30M+ (likely 35!) per year. Which is going to strip the team further. What is the one way you can offset that kind of salary cap hit? Pay rookies.

IF we could get a top 5 pick to be a great pass rusher or get DL (There is a tremendous one that was wreaking havoc on UW vs Auburn...that guy is very likely to be a top 10 pick at the end of the year ) and perhaps make some great picks in the lower rounds? It would probably make us a competitive team again (at least playoff caliber).

Problem is, I don't believe we have enough other round picks to make a bad year into a good one. A tank right now only works if we have all our 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc.

Not a crazy idea when you consider how it could reset things and offset the payroll cap storm about to hit us. But it would have to be a pick for great DL player (pass rusher not a freaking run stopper!) and it would have to be shorn up with some great impact picks in the other rounds. Since we haven't made great impact picks since Scot left, I am not sure that is viable either.

Interesting idea though.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":1ir85vpc said:
I guess some people don’t remember how stupid the “suck for Luck” crap was. And how we actually ended up with the best QB out of that draft...in the third round!

It's not necessarily stupid. Although in that case that was true. The thing is, if you can't pick good talent, it doesn't matter how many picks you have. Good teams don't pick early. Bad teams are usually there because they can't pick good talent. "Sucking for XXX" is more often a byproduct of sucking at picking to begin with. They tend to self perpetuate.

It's much more accurate though to look at every single draft since 2012. And look at where the talent drop offs led to really bad draft results for us at least with early picks.

It's worth noting too, that due to the bad draft position -- that led us to make the Harvin and Graham trades in the first place. The notion that all of the 1st round talent would be gone wouldn't have applied. Of course naturally the alternative is to not go to two straight super bowls which I'm definitely not advocating.

Seattle however has missed out on quality talent. Particularly early on. The amount of real quality players in the 30-55 range that we've been unable to acquire because we had no picks there, or picked turds because we have a pathological need to buttress a running game going nowhere is worth noting.

That has nothing to do with tank jobs though. You don't have to tank to pick in the top half of the second round.

Ultimately, in this upcoming draft, I'd say tanking is not necessary. This team needs DL pass rush help. You're going to have a lot of options picking in the mid/late teens that in normal drafts would be taken in the 7-15 range. It really sucks not having a 2nd round pick because double dipping in this class has a high probability of netting two starting quality players on day one.

Too early to start this kind of talk. Seattle has holes. Seattle will have some picks next year. Seattle will have a lot of cap space. I'd hope they use it judiciously and maybe just add depth. Right now we're lacking that. You don't have to give mega contracts away to achieve that.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2hclmpkt said:
Sign me up for a top 5 pick. I’m not saying lose on purpose, but I won’t mind all the losses if we can get a great pick.

Once you hop on the tiger, how do you hop off?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
The season before last, there were a reasonably large number of posters here that declared that missing the playoffs would be the best thing for the team, because "change".

Last season, lots of the same happened and the team actually missed the playoffs.

Apparently the next step is to have a really bad record, so that an entire season can go to waste simply because it might result in a high draft pick who probably won't work out.

Be careful what you wish for, because if we get in another stretch where this team doesn't make it into a playoff game ten years and doesn't win a playoff game for 19 years, you're going to be actually pissed.

OP
OP
Hawk-Lock

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Steve2222":2ob8rj69 said:
If you guys were fans of the following teams

Lions: Patricia is a bust and Stafford has regressed
Steelers: Tied with a team with didn’t win a game last year and Big Ben is careless with the ball. We need to start Mason Rudolph
Falcons: Matt Ryan is nothing without Kyle Shanahan
Titans: Last years playoff run was a fluke and Mariota is not progressing
Saints: Are D is obviously overrated and won’t stop anyone all year. 4-12 here we come.
Cowboys: Dak was a one year wonder and Zeke doesn’t care anymore
Chargers: We are perrenial choke artist and Rivers can’t win big games
Cardinals: Defense is overrated, new coach sucks, Rosen doesn’t care about football
Giants: So much for all of our weapons. Eli is trash (though Eli actually is trash)

All you did was list all the teams that lost in game 1 and then spun it into this thread. First off, let me reiterate, I'm not proposing we lose on purpose. I'm just saying that we will likely be bad and the losses could benefit us in the long run. The Falcons, Titans, Saints, and Chargers aren't bottoming out regardless of their outcome this past Sunday. Everyone here can agree we are taking a step back this season. The only teams you listed that fit the criteria for what you were trying to achieve are the Cardinals, Cowboys and possibly the Giants. Everyone knows the Falcons, Saints, Titans and Chargers won't be bottom feeders.

I just think we are going to be bad, like possibly 4-5 wins bad. It should net us a nice pick. Obviously it's still a crap shoot with the draft, but any GM would prefer the #5 pick to the #15 pick.

nwHawk

Reaction score
You play to win the game!

I hate the idea of tanking. I'm not freaking out yet, I know Pete's teams start out slow and focus on finishing the year strong. I'm in.

Sgt Largent

Reaction score
Everyone that's on board with a "Tank for Top 5" pick is delusional.

That pick would be guaranteed to be swapped for a late 1st and a 2nd, then the late 1st would turn in to 2 more 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd and a rousing hip hip hooray!

So maybe change your motto to "Tank for Tu Tu's and a Tree"?

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Oh god, not this conversation again. Next we'll be discussing benching Hasselbeck for Whitehurst.