How to waste $2million....

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
NorCal":1qtdsybu said:
The agent screwed up, unless he can clearly show he explained the requirement to Brown. So as to the dispute between Brown and his agent, documentation will be key.

As for whether the Niners can "fix" this, I don't think they have an obligation to do so. IF they decide to, then I am sure it will be in the form of an extension. But I also can't help but think that other team owners will be paying attention to this. Many of them will probably not like any precedent of a team just paying a player because he didn't know what was in his own contract.

There is no obligation to do so, in my mind. However, it'd be the nice thing to do. Look at how the Seahawks just gave Browner an extra million completely outside the realm of his contract. Here's how I imagine that conversation with Browner going, in a proverbial sense: "While we've got a little cap space, here's an extra million, which we hope you'll remember when we try to re-sign you in a year or two when things are tighter."

Let's face it, though. Most of us would be glad to see the 49ers stiff him just so we can hold it up as another example of how our organization is better than yours. :devil:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
My bad if I'm wrong about the cap. My interpretation was it was considered a penalty and therefore treated as a payment.

Bad timing for it though if the 9ers don't want to compensate him with Browner just getting a thank you raise. Maybe they don't care but the timing is perfect.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Not to be a conspiracy theorist but is there any way that this is a handshake deal between the Niners and Brown so they can rollover that amount into the cap next year. Then they make it up to him next year with a new contract, so the cap hit isn't as much as the $2 million he loses this year but they end up compensating him more than that $2 million and everyone wins. I don't know if that makes any sense but that was the first thing I thought of when I first read this.

To me, he doesn't seem mad enough. It's more like a minor inconvenience when in reality he lost 2/3 of his salary.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Well, that kind of collusion would certainly fit in with 49ers franchise history if that did happen to be the case; but I'm not banking on it.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2xtq54tb said:
Well, that kind of collusion would certainly fit in with 49ers franchise history if that did happen to be the case; but I'm not banking on it.

It just seems odd. I have never seen a guy react less to losing a significant portion of his salary. He allegedly just found out about it on twitter and he was calm as can be. It doesn't pass the sniff test for me.

That being said if anyone is a cap guy and I am wrong about the cap ramifications that would put my conspiracy theory to rest.

drdiags

Reaction score
That would be a lot of trust required on Brown's sake. If it isn't in writing, what protects him? Is it even worth the risk to the organization? I am selling that idea.

heyu123

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3a6e08ih said:
My bad if I'm wrong about the cap. My interpretation was it was considered a penalty and therefore treated as a payment.

Bad timing for it though if the 9ers don't want to compensate him with Browner just getting a thank you raise. Maybe they don't care but the timing is perfect.

His attending these workouts was an escalator to his base salary. Since he didn't trigger that he loses the 2 mil in salary which is why it positively influences the cap.

As for the conspiracy theory its interesting lol. But I doubt any football player purposely forfeits 2 mil. Too much risk especially for a guy like Brown who isn't super rich anyways. By NFL standards.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Why is this information just coming out? Didn't the missed OTA's happen a while back?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
heyu123":3hjw423v said:
Lady Talon":3hjw423v said:
^ it will be interesting to see his effort on the field if SF does nothing to appease him. Their secondary already has holes in it.

Its counterproductive to dog it on the field when you're looking for a new contract. Brown needs to continue to showcase himself. If he plays like he has been he will be making well more than 2 mil.

Its his own fault too. Guys need to know their damn contract.

It is his own fault. And perhaps it is counterproductive. But he doesn't exactly have to go out of his way for bad things to happen, he can even have a statistically sound year yet let a few touchdowns run by, happens to everyone. He isn't required to sign with the Niners again after the contract expires, after all.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Stephen SeaHawking":3653kl07 said:
Hopefully it affects his play. I hope Tate reminds him of it. Seems like good fodder for trash talk. "Hey bro, can I borrow 2 mil?"

Laughed out loud. My daughter is looking at me like I am a fool.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
If this was Europe the fans would be writing songs now. Titles like - seen my $2 million? How to spend $2million etc. i blew $2 million on hookers but it was worth it - how about you?

hope people bring signs to show him instead. Need to keep rubbing this in game after game

NinerLifer

Reaction score
I really can give a damn...as long as he plays his ass off in the season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
drdiags":1yrnbbm7 said:
That would be a lot of trust required on Brown's sake. If it isn't in writing, what protects him? Is it even worth the risk to the organization? I am selling that idea.

It's a risk for the team as well, though. Can you imagine the Bountygate level of media firestorm that would come out if the 49ers welshed on an illegal (under NFL rules) under-the-table deal with Brown?

sc85sis

Reaction score
If these are voluntary workouts I'm curious how the contract can override the voluntary status in the first place. Wouldn't that be a violation of the CBA?

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
Harbaugh just had a press conference. Some reports summarized what he had to say on the issue:

Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 34m

Jim Harbaugh said he'd like to find a solution to Tarell Brown's $2M contract snafu. He did not rule out an extension as a possible solution

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 34m

Harbaugh hopes the sides can come to a solution so that its something they can eventually laugh about.

Looks like they'll come to a solution. I hope they extend him and use that 2 million as part of a bonus. Brown was ranked as the #9 CB in the league last season. He made pivotal plays in the Green Bay game and in the SB. The guy can play.

SoHo9erFan

Reaction score
sc85sis":3i74q2tm said:
If these are voluntary workouts I'm curious how the contract can override the voluntary status in the first place. Wouldn't that be a violation of the CBA?
The contract was negotiated and signed before the new CBA

cacksman

Reaction score
Too bad he's not a WR, Sherm would have a field day with him.