How to solve the false starts

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Don't let any OL wear #76. Half of the false starts are gone right there, going back 6 or 7 years now.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I like where your head's at.

But my fix for false starts is to stop running the play clock down to 3 seconds seemingly every play keeping your linemen in their stance so long they're internal clocks are going off.

My kingdom for our offense JUST ONCE to have a game where the gameplan is to go up tempo/4 minute scheme for as much of the first half as possible to get the players and Russell in tempo and rhythm faster.

I think that'd help greatly with stopping the false starts. Russell's hesitant "do I need to change protection/play and run the clock down to two seconds" is killing these guys.

Seymour

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":28jzg3os said:
Don't let any OL wear #76. Half of the false starts are gone right there, going back 6 or 7 years now.

unethical-medicine-lobotomy-orig.jpg

chris98251

Reaction score
This worked when I played and coached, I would line them up at the Goal line on one end and start doing cadences, tell them on three, on 2, second sound, first sound, ball movement, if anyone messed up they had to run to the far end and back and a 5 yard penalty, believe me at the end of a practice nobody wants to do wind sprints. If they didn't mess up we just walked down the field every 5 yards and repeated, did it at the end of practice as did my coaches, why because your either tired or relaxed and your focus isn't there, you play for 60 minutes and that focus has to be there. When guys did mess up and it was usually the first few practices I could hear the players getting on the screw ups, watch the damn ball, listen and shut up etc.

All and all we rarely and I can recall very few false starts on both the teams I played on and the ones I coached.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":1y86e2ra said:
This worked when I played and coached, I would line them up at the Goal line on one end and start doing cadences, tell them on three, on 2, second sound, first sound, ball movement, if anyone messed up they had to run to the far end and back and a 5 yard penalty, believe me at the end of a practice nobody wants to do wind sprints. If they didn't mess up we just walked down the field every 5 yards and repeated, did it at the end of practice as did my coaches, why because your either tired or relaxed and your focus isn't there, you play for 60 minutes and that focus has to be there. When guys did mess up and it was usually the first few practices I could hear the players getting on the screw ups, watch the damn ball, listen and shut up etc.

All and all we rarely and I can recall very few false starts on both the teams I played on and the ones I coached.

Bear crawls are nice too. When I was in the army and people screwed up, leaders use to punish the squad/platoon while the individual culprit or culprits watched. Peer pressure is a wonderful bitch sometimes. Not saying what should necessarily be done but this is a focus/discipline issue. When it is one person jumping offsides consistently that points to an individual lack of preparation and that hurts the team not just a single player. In fairness to Ifedi the issue seemed to dissipate after the first half.

chris98251

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":3bfsy4v0 said:
chris98251":3bfsy4v0 said:

Bear crawls are nice too. When I was in the army and people screwed up, leaders use to punish the squad/platoon while the individual culprit or culprits watched. Peer pressure is a wonderful bitch sometimes. Not saying what should necessarily be done but this is a focus/discipline issue. When it is one person jumping offsides consistently that points to an individual lack of preparation and that hurts the team not just a single player. In fairness to Ifedi the issue seemed to dissipate after the first half.

Could not jump due to Baldwins teeth on his ass.

purpleneer

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":19m91yhl said:
I like where your head's at.

But my fix for false starts is to stop running the play clock down to 3 seconds seemingly every play keeping your linemen in their stance so long they're internal clocks are going off.

My kingdom for our offense JUST ONCE to have a game where the gameplan is to go up tempo/4 minute scheme for as much of the first half as possible to get the players and Russell in tempo and rhythm faster.

I think that'd help greatly with stopping the false starts. Russell's hesitant "do I need to change protection/play and run the clock down to two seconds" is killing these guys.
Yup