How opposing players viewed Howell

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
My biggest problem with Sam is not that I think there's a chance that he gets better -- maybe.

My problem is giving up draft stock in a year where we have a lot of holes and a backup QB just seems like poor priority.

I also think he's not good.
I respectfully say you are mistaken.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I'm not mistaken in my opinion, as you are not mistaken in yours. They are opinions.

Jville

Reaction score
That John Schneider guy uses all avenues for talent acquisition. His band of scouts look for plug and play talent, development talent, role projection and talent that can be traded for .... a couple years down the road. I have no doubt that John is also a persistent fan of bringing on board the underdog.

The practice makes for a great mix of talent and competition that fuels great football stories.

toffee

Reaction score
Would you guys like to speculate on the QB ranking if Howell enters the draft in 2023?

Jville

Reaction score
Would you guys like to speculate on the QB ranking if Howell enters the draft in 2023?

Given that it's 2024, it doesn't interest me.

Given that Howell is already on the roster, it doesn't interest me.

And, I don't visit the "NCAA Football and Pro Draft" forum all that much.

Last edited:

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Remin
I just re watched the game against washington
Howell outplayed geno especially in the first
He had zero running game
Riverboat Ron and company repeatedly shot the team in the foot at the end of each half
He only had one top flight receiver and spread the ball around to no less than 9 pass catchers
He threw really well on the run as they had 2 new starting olineman and was under duress almost the entire 2nd half
The kid needs to know when to SLIDE
He needs to realize to just take what the defense gives him
He had a ton of weight on his shoulders with only scary terry as a relief valve
On a good team he could have a totally different outcome and I believe that's why JS traded for him as if you watch it just to see what he has , you might think maybe there could be something there as he showed a hell of a lot of grit
Kid almost beat us by himself
They only ran well for about 4 plays on one drive otherwise most of the rushing yards were from him or a receiver on a broken play
He could be CBPOTY in 2025 or sooner
I was impressed , as the 1st time I watched it during the season i just wanted to beat those dirtbags owned by a total sleezbag but howell is better than almost everybody is saying
I would be really surprised if he has topped out , had about 10 mahomes type plays where everything broke down and he created something
If he were on the whiners i'd be a little concerned , he can make every throw and on time and get out of what would normally be a sack for most
Allright , let the roasting begin lol
Go Hawks
Reminds me of how terrible our defense was last year

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
When judging Howell don’t rely on stats but watch his game film including the last game of his rookie season which was his first start

S.Taylor21

Reaction score
As a Washington fan, I had high hopes for Howell coming into the season. He’s a tough kid that showed some flashes. Unfortunately Bienemy, the offense and the defense didn’t do Howell any favors. Rivera and Bienemy didn’t help out Howell with a strong run game, instead asking Howell to be the offense.

With that said, I really started to lose faith in Howell when Jacoby Brissett would enter the game and the offense just looked 10 times better. All of a sudden the o-line wasn’t an issue when Brissett was under center. To me it showed many of those sacks weren’t due to the oline, but Howell holding on to the ball too long. I also noticed McLaurin’s production went way down with Howell in the game. Dotson had a decent rookie year and just disappeared last year.

I still think Howell can be a good QB. He has a strong arm, can run and is tough to bring down. Unfortunately learning a 3rd offense in 3 years probably wont help his development. I’ll be rooting for the guy. Worst case, he’ll be one of the best backup QBs out there.

JPatera76

Reaction score
As a Washington fan, I had high hopes for Howell coming into the season. He’s a tough kid that showed some flashes. Unfortunately Bienemy, the offense and the defense didn’t do Howell any favors. Rivera and Bienemy didn’t help out Howell with a strong run game, instead asking Howell to be the offense.

With that said, I really started to lose faith in Howell when Jacoby Brissett would enter the game and the offense just looked 10 times better. All of a sudden the o-line wasn’t an issue when Brissett was under center. To me it showed many of those sacks weren’t due to the oline, but Howell holding on to the ball too long. I also noticed McLaurin’s production went way down with Howell in the game. Dotson had a decent rookie year and just disappeared last year.

I still think Howell can be a good QB. He has a strong arm, can run and is tough to bring down. Unfortunately learning a 3rd offense in 3 years probably wont help his development. I’ll be rooting for the guy. Worst case, he’ll be one of the best backup QBs out there.
Brissett is also a Veteran as well.

Scout

Reaction score
Brissett is very sharp and doesn't hold the ball long which is why he is basically a better version of Jimmy G. Also why the Patriots Mayo went after him first to shore up the Patriots offense with him so the drafted rookie QB doesn't have to play right away until they fix their OL and skill positions on offense which is probably one of the worst in the league.

As for Howell he just needs to sit a year and just learn to process faster. Given his play experience already I think he may turn out a decent pro. As for starting potential? Who knows but I do agree currently as a backup he is very cost effective and one of the better in the league.

Meaning..you can win games with Howell in spot duty but he isn't there yet as a full time starter. Close but not close enough.

ivotuk

Reaction score
You can't judge Sam Howell on his stats, rather judge him on his situation. Crap team, lame duck Head Coach, crap Offensive Coordinator, crap organization in rebuild mode. I wouldn't judge anybody on the Commanders team based on the last 2 years.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If Howell is at his best after one year he probably wasn't all that good to start with. I expect him to take advantage of his current situation and close up some of that learning gap by improving during his second year. He'll need some game reps along the way though in order to more accurately measure whether or not his progress is real or just imagined.