How opposing players viewed Howell

WarHawks

Reaction score
Washington dumped Howell for the equivalent of a two day old ham sandwich in Mariota. Sigh.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Just listening to the ATN podcast from yesterday. The trade new broke during their taping. Rosenthal and Sessler loved it. Rosenthal said something like the Hawks got a veteran QB for basically nothing. That's how he qualified the move in picks.

nwHawk

Reaction score
If you are drafting a QB, don’t you think it’s cleaner to reboot and bring in a veteran backup to help guide and teach the young buck? Make no mistake, Washington is drafting a QB this year.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
If you are drafting a QB, don’t you think it’s cleaner to reboot and bring in a veteran backup to help guide and teach the young buck? Make no mistake, Washington is drafting a QB this year.
Agreed, but if you are talking from Washington's point of view, I have questions on whether Mariota is that guy to provide guidance

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Unless the guys I'm reading are way off base, the different trade value charts have what we traded as ranging anywhere from the equivalent to late 3rd to a 6th rounder for him. Also, the trade value charts that have what we gave up on the higher end might be the worst ones.

This looks like JS just grabbing a QB he likes for a low price. Don't think this move prevents us from drafting a QB (but our draft position and the high number of QB needy teams ahead of us in the draft probably does).

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I cant see how trading back from the 78 slot to the 102 equates to trading a third rounder. The 78th pick is a third rounder in itself and we got back a fourth rounder. Trading the 5th for a 6th means very very little to me. certainly not enough to make moving back on mid round picks worth a third. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.
In the end its just people making up values out of thin air really. I view it as we got an extra pick this year myself. I'll take it.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I really like this move to get Howell and think he has a lot of upside over the next couple years, and is potentially our QBOTF. Ron Rivera, like the guy, but he's not exactly known as a QB whisperer. IMO, Howell needs better protection and more film time and coaching and he can become a top 15 QB, maybe top 10 QB in a couple years.

nwHawk

Reaction score
John Schneider loved Howell the year he came out, but the Hawks had a 25 year old Drew Lock so they decided to pass. If Drew was here, Howell would have been drafted here.

Sam is younger than Bo Nix and the same age as Penix, but has already started 17 games in the NFL. And he played for a gun slinger OC. Some good, some bad & some ugly. The kid has upside and should fix what Grubb wants to do moving forward. Here a comparison to another QB Schneider was smitten over:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
John Schneider loved Howell the year he came out, but the Hawks had a 25 year old Drew Lock so they decided to pass. If Drew was here, Howell would have been drafted here.

Sam is younger than Bo Nix and the same age as Penix, but has already started 17 games in the NFL. And he played for a gun slinger OC. Some good, some bad & some ugly. The kid has upside and should fix what Grubb wants to do moving forward. Here a comparison to another QB Schneider was smitten over:

View attachment 65572
That's a shocker to me! Just goes to show it doesn't pay to pass judgement too early. Which is exactly what most message boards have a habit of doing.

SonicHawk

Reaction score

View attachment 65572
Yeah, but Josh Allen's improvement is not the norm. Weird flex.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Some guys totally buy in and have the opportunity to give it a go, most do not.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I have a fair amount of hope for Howell. I will say however that he doesn't quite have the arm talent Josh Allen has, or the height, strength, or speed, either. What it does show is that writing Howel off because he had a high sack and T.O. rate is silly. I believe Peyton manning had a lot of turnovers His rookie year. You can't just assume Howell will never figure it out.