How many Super Bowls does Wilson need?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
HawkGA":3fxazehq said:
Let's say he never becomes anything more than a "game manager" and that his stats are always sort of pedestrian because of the style of offense the Hawks run. How many Super Bowls does he need to get into the Hall of Fame? Obviously any quarterback can win one and not be great (*cough* Dilfer *cough*). But how many does it take? Eli Manning has 2 and I don't think of him as a Hall of Fame Quarterback (though I guess it won't surprise me if he gets in). Could Russell conceivably get 2 and not be Hall of Fame worthy? I would think a QB with 3 would be a shoe-in, but then again, Eli could get another one and I still wouldn't think of him as being that great. Thoughts?

The thing to me about him though is he is not managing games and putting up only a 85-90 qb rating. The ONLY player in NFL Hisotry to have a Career Rating of over 100 is Rodgers. Rodgers has a 104.9 Qb rating for his career and #2 is Manning with 97.2. Wilson currently is at 100.6 but has only played 2 years.

He also has the most TDs EVER since Marino his first 2 years and is tied or slightly ahead of manning. Also has the most wins OF ALL TIME in his first 2 seasons.

If he continues to put up similar stats and wins another superbowl I dont see a reason why he wouldnt be in the Hall of Fame. Especially if he keeps winning 10+ games every year.

I think he probably compares the most to Big Ben right now. He had a good defense for a while and was in that "game manager" mode and kind of played the same style as wilson where he can elude rushers and buy time for WRs to get open. He also won his ring against us in his second year just like Wilson did this year. Big Ben only had 2 seasons where he threw for more TDs than Wilson has in a season (26) and he threw 26 Tds twice. He has also only put up a 100 rating twice and he has been in the league for 10 seasons. Wilson did it his first two.

If you compare him to

Manning: 15 years in the league 5 seasons of 100+ QB rating. His first of those seasons were his 7th!!!!!!!!!! year. Threw over 30 Tds his 3rd year and did it again his 7th year.

Brady: 14 years in the league only 3 seasons of 100+ QB rating. His first of those seasons were his 8th!!! year. Threw for over 30 TDs for the first time in his 8th season in 2007 with 50.

Brees: 13 years in the league 4 seasons of 100+ Qb rating. First of those seasons were 4th year and didnt do it again until 9th year. Brees didnt even throw for more than 30Tds until his 8th year.

Rodgers: 9 Seasons in the league, 5 Seasons of 100+ QB rating. His second year starting he hit over 100 QB rating and his been over that since then. His first 3 years he threw for 28,30 and 28TDs

As you can see above Wilson has had more or equal earlier success than almost ALL of those other QBs in terms of QB rating and scoring and Rodgers didnt even start until his 4th season in the league.

As far as the postseason Wilson has over 100QB rating there too and the only INT he has is at the end of the Atlanta game on a last second bomb which doesnt even count.

Jac

Reaction score
Ignoring all other stats, I think you need two Super Bowls to get into the HoF conversation and three to guarantee it. If he continues to accrue the same type of stats for the next 12 years and never wins it again, I think he's still in the conversation because he's such a unique player (with a win already). However, I think he carries the team to a SB win some time in his career, which cements his legend.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Anthony!":17vhrz3o said:
HawkGA":17vhrz3o said:
Let's say he never becomes anything more than a "game manager" and that his stats are always sort of pedestrian because of the style of offense the Hawks run. How many Super Bowls does he need to get into the Hall of Fame? Obviously any quarterback can win one and not be great (*cough* Dilfer *cough*). But how many does it take? Eli Manning has 2 and I don't think of him as a Hall of Fame Quarterback (though I guess it won't surprise me if he gets in). Could Russell conceivably get 2 and not be Hall of Fame worthy? I would think a QB with 3 would be a shoe-in, but then again, Eli could get another one and I still wouldn't think of him as being that great. Thoughts?

There is more at play here than SB. What if Rw is the player who led the way for the 6 foot and under QBs. What if the way we think about QBs changed because of him. That alone could get him in, then add in SB wins, consecutive 100+ qb rating years, etc. He is already on his way doing things no other QB has ever done. So I think regardless of yards which is really the only stats were he is not top 10 in, he has everything else. As far as Eli goes you are correct he has 2 SB rings, and I would also not consider him a HOF, the main reason is to many bad seasons, and way to much talent around him on offense. He has way more talent around him than Rw does and it is not even close.

Ya Eli has to be the most overrated QB of this generation with Luck fast approaching.

Eli has NEVER had a season of over 100 Qb rating. He has only thrown over 30Tds ONE TIME. He has been in the league 10 years. He averages 17 INT and 5 fumbles per year. His best QB rating is 93.1 with 27TD, 14INT.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
HoF-ers are the best in their position in their era.

Here is my list of potential HoF QBs as of today.

Peyton Manning (drafted 1998)... certain HoF, no more need be done.

Brady (drafted 2000)... certain HoF, no more need be done.

Brees (drafted 2001)... likely HoF, a couple more SB appearances and it's certain. A 2nd ring solidifies it.

Rodgers (drafted 2005)... potential HoF, needs a couple more SB appearances and another ring or two.

Russell is on an early path to the Hall... but he's only completed year two of a likely 15-year career.

To solidify his being enshrined, he likely needs four more SB appearances and two more rings. And if he accomplishes that, he'll be a first ballot HoF-er.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
SonicHawk":j06gr6ke said:
Anyone who calls RW a game manager doesn't know what game manager means.

Russell Wilson IS a game manager......

In other words, he's a winner ;)

But agreed, anybody who uses the term as an insult is a nincompoop. He does exactly what we ask of him, lead the offense, score points and dont turn the ball over. I like how many conveniently forget that tom Brady did the exact same thing in his early years.

plyka

Reaction score
HawkGA":1weadij5 said:

Wilson is a 2nd year QB. By year 4, he will be a completely different player than he is now. I expect Wilson to average 300 yards per game while still staying efficient. This is a GREAT QB in the making. Just compare his stats with other QBs like Luck, Newton, RGIII, Kaep, etc. Wilson has the best stats of all, and with time more throwing opportunities will come to him. I can't count the number of times that players were WIDE OPEN, and Wilson saw them and could have passed the ball, but decided not to --due to ball security concerns. Just in the Super Bowl, on one play he had Tate flying down the sideline 3 yards ahead of his man, Wilson saw him and could have thrown but decided not to --he will make that pass in year 4 because he will have more confidence in his throw.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
He doesn't HAVE to win more superbowls, but it would obviously cement his status. If he continues to progress his skills and maintains his efficiency, he has a very good shot. Great start to his career and it's only getting better.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Give Russell ten or more years with very few injuries, he will be one of the Top 5 quarterbacks in the history of the NFL.....assuming no major rule changes.