Hendon Hooker

ivotuk

Reaction score
Would anyone be tempted to roll with Geno for another year and pick up Caleb Williams in 2024? I've not watched loads of him but he looks a baller to me.

We have 2 1sts this year, so only if we can trade a 2023 1st to the Bears for a 2024 1st round pick.

Also, a rookie QB is usually better after learning for a year. Russell was in a rare situation, #1 Defense and Marshawn Lynch. Plus Matt whats his face had a noodle arm. (Flynn)

vonstout

Reaction score
I saw a mock with the Hawks taking Hooker at #10 last week. There are lots of teams that need QBs:

Carolina, Washington, Detroit, Houston, Indy, Seattle, maybe Atlanta, Miami when Tua gets another concussion this year that ends his career.

Everyone has Stroud and Young going in the top 5. After that, there are lots of guys with potential:

Levis (Kentucky)
Hooker (Tenn)
Hall (BYU)
Jefferson (Ark)
Van Dyke (Miami)
McKee (Stan)
Richardson (Florida)
Penix (Wash)
Leary (NC State)
Uiagalelei (Clemson)

Levis has been disappointing but wil likely be a first rounder.
Hooker is shooting up the board.
Hall may go in the first
Still a lot of season left that could move others up.

If we can sign Geno to a team friendly 2-3 year deal, I hope we wait tp pick a QB till somewhere in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round. Stroud is the only top 10 QB IMO. young is very talented, but his durability is concerning. Load up on DL, LB, and interior OL with our early picks!

ivotuk

Reaction score

ivotuk

Reaction score
Heisman Trophy odds entering Week 8 (via BetMGM)

C.J. Stroud -110
Hendon Hooker +600
Caleb Williams +700
Blake Corum +1200
Bryce Young +1800
DJ Uiagalelei +2500
Jahmyr Gibbs +2500
Dorian Thompson-Robinson +2500
Adrian Martinez +3000
Spencer Sanders +3000
Drake Maye +3000
Sam Hartman +5000
Stetson Bennett +5000
Max Duggan +5000
Bo Nix +6600

Heisman Watch: Hendon Hooker soaring in the Heisman odds, but Bryce Young was better on Saturday

Hooker threw for 385 yards and five touchdowns and had two pinpoint completions in the final seconds of regulation to set up the game-winning field goal as time expired.

But as well as Hooker played against the Crimson Tide, he wasn’t the best quarterback on the field. That was Alabama’s Bryce Young.

Young, after missing the Texas A&M game with a shoulder injury, threw for 455 yards and two touchdowns in a hostile atmosphere in Knoxville. With Tennessee defenders in his face all afternoon, Young showed an uncanny feel in the pocket and consistently was able to extend plays and find open receivers. At one point, Young rolled right and looked ready to throw the ball away with a Tennessee defender closing. Instead, he stopped on a dime, set his feet and hit Jermaine Burton for a 12-yard gain.

Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee | NFL Draft Scouting Report

It’s been a long and winding road for Hooker, who was at one point a simple footnote in modern college football history. The former four-star recruit and sixth-year senior began his collegiate career at Virginia Tech, where he redshirted in 2017. He’d sit as a backup in 2018, then emerge as a quality starter during the 2019 season.

Hooker provided some stability at QB under head coach Justin Fuente, particularly in 2019. That year, Hooker completed 99 of 162 passes for 1,555 yards, 13 touchdowns, and two interceptions. But things soured in 2020, and soon after, Hooker transferred to Tennessee to get a fresh start. He got that and more in Knoxville.

Hooker was a breakout star in 2021. In his first year with Josh Heupel, Hooker completed 206 of 302 passes for 2,945 yards, 31 touchdowns, and just three interceptions. His level of efficiency was near unparalleled, and he’s carried it over into 2022.

OP
OP
12AngryHawks

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Would anyone be tempted to roll with Geno for another year and pick up Caleb Williams in 2024? I've not watched loads of him but he looks a baller to me.
If they decide to forego a QB next year, then Williams is a tempting prospect. So far, my draft crush for the '24 draft at QB is Drake Maye from UNC, but a lot can happen from now til then, so who knows.

Ruminator

Reaction score
However next year's draft plays out as far as quarterbacks are concerned, you could say that the Seahawks have an edge, since unlike some NFL coaches, Pete isn't dependent on drafting the "best of the best" who can serve as a plug-and-play-and-I'll-take-care-of-the-rest QB; he has proven that he can coach admirable results from a lot of guys, maximizing confidence, smarts, and skill. So he needn't necessarily draft the "best of the best".

CDN_C_Hawk

Reaction score
I feel of the teams that will draft a QB early ( before the 3rd round) most won’t like the age issue. How many teams really need a QB.
Carolina, Colts, Lions and maybe Texans. I am not expecting the Hawks to draft a QB
Bucs and Saints and Commanders will target a QB.....and Tampa at 28 is at the perfect spot. If Hooker stays healthy....I can see him as 4th or 5th QB drafted in the top 35 picks

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hendon Hooker had a really tough game this weekend. He could not go through his progressions, he looked shell shocked, and there were times on 4th down where he just needed to throw the ball, no matter what, but instead took a sack, thus giving Georgia better field position.

This is the type of game that will either expose him long term, or motivate him to become a great QB. I hope it's the latter.

CPHawk

Reaction score

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
And once drafted won’t see the field until he is at least 26. I am guessing most NFL teams won’t consider him for the age issue. Stetson Bennett of Georgia is also another 25 yr old QB. The pandemic came at a wrong time for these 2 players

morgulon1

Reaction score
Hendon's a gamer with a decent arm and upside on the ground.

He's significantly over-aged, but as the kids say, he's "got that dog in him."

Late round 3 to round 4 is where I'd put him now, but he can rise. If Seattle secretly has their eye on a guy that they're falling in love with and trying to hide, I bet you it's Hooker.
He'll be 2 years older than most QBs coming into the NFL. How often are these guys called immature, not ready etc.? Not that I have a dog in the fight

I want them to sign the dude that went to West Virginia . Geno Smith

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hendon Hooker is going to be the steal of the draft.

GemCity

Reaction score
With his recent injury, and age…I’m not so sure I’d grab him before a much later round than the third.

He’s over 2 years older than Justin Fields, will need a year or two to adjust to the NFL…and the ACL certainly doesn’t help.

Things change quickly at the college level. Seeing him play against a top tier D… it wasn’t impressive. I think I’ve said that same thing about 4-5 of the “top” rated QBs this season.

It’s always a crapshoot….

SonicHawk

Reaction score
With his recent injury, and age…I’m not so sure I’d grab him before a much later round than the third.

He’s over 2 years older than Justin Fields, will need a year or two to adjust to the NFL…and the ACL certainly doesn’t help.

Things change quickly at the college level. Seeing him play against a top tier D… it wasn’t impressive. I think I’ve said that same thing about 4-5 of the “top” rated QBs this season.

It’s always a crapshoot….
That's what I mean, he's going to be cheap pickings.

I'd also love to see Jalin Hyatt as the first pick.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I am guessing now Hooker will be drafted 5th rd -UDFA based mostly on his age and major injury before the injuries was thinking 3rd rd. He put up good numbers but played in a gimmick offense and doesn’t have a good NFL arm. I am comparing him to Brandon Weedon who was a former baseball pitcher and had sub par career