HC Mike MacDonald on QB Competition

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Geno is the starter until he's not.

When the coaches realize he hasn't grasped the offense by end of preseason, they'll change to Penix because he's familiar with it.

Yes.... I'm saying they will draft Penix.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Personal growth. Normally I would have some smart a** comment. But..........I'm doing the more chill thing moving forward. There's nothing wrong with someone thinking they'll draft Penix. I don't think they will, but it's not some crazy prediction, imo.

Last edited:

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
Ya'll sound like a bunch of women trying to interpret what something means when it wasn't meant for them to understand in the first place. It's really weird to see it coming from .NET, but then again, I've seen some weird stuff in my short time as .NET member.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Ya'll sound like a [removed] trying to interpret what something means when it wasn't meant for them to understand in the first place. It's really weird to see it coming from .NET, but then again, I've seen some weird stuff in my short time as .NET member.
Misogyny is not putting your best foot forward you know. Do better.

chris98251

Reaction score
Geno elevated his game from his younger, earlier career by learning to better diagnose pre snap reads from Phillip Rivers.

As for playoff wins Wolford and Mayfield have playoff wins but no one other than the TB Bucs were eager to sign either of them last off season. Keep in mind though that Wolford and Mayfield has help to win those respective playoff games..it wasn't like they carried their respective teams to playoff victories. The Hawks haven't played like a complete team in ages since the Legion of Boom so many around here do not understand that to win playoff games outside of Mahomes it requires a team effort. And even Mahomes had help from a very good defense this past season.

The state of the NFC and QB picture:

Falcons, Cousins: Can still play but how will he look post injury? Also no Justin Jefferson to lean on to dominate games anymore.
Panthers, Young: Can Canales keep Young's jersey clean so he can develop? Can Evero hold that defense together with duct tape?
Bucs, Mayfield: Has to show that it was not a fluke season and must do it without Canales. Bucs destiny is till tied to that defense though.
Saints, Carr: Carr had a late season resurgence but he was still not able to will his team to the playoffs without help. Same was true when he was a Raider.

Cowboys, Prescot: Prescott can do only so much as the defense has to seal the deal in December/January games.
Commanders, ????: They are drafting a QB and starting over.
Eagles, Hurts: The Eagles and Hurts need to evolve because teams are starting to figure them out on offense. Defensive backend is holding them back.
Giants, Jones,????: Can Jones actually look like a proper NFL QB consistently? Can he return from his injury? What if the Giants draft a QB in round 1.

Bears, ???: They are drafting Williams #1 overall most likely and they are rebuilding.
Lions, Goff: Goff can not carry that team just like when he was with the Rams. Goff needs help from his defense.
Packers, Love: Packers offense looks renewed but the defense is what carried Rodgers late in his career and the same will be true for Love.
Vikings, ???: Who knows what they do with the QB position.

Rams, Stafford: Stafford is not in his prime and can not carry the Rams (especially without Aaron Donald). Stafford couldn't even carry the Lions when he was in his prime.
Cardinals, Murray: Murray needs a better supporting cast around him on offense and defense.
49ers, Purdy: Most complete team in all of the NFL and Purdy still can not seal the deal. 49ers needs to improve their supporting cast even more to go over the hump for a SB victory.
Hawks, Smith: Geno has been in control of the Hawks offensive side of the ball but the defense has been just flat out bad. Even a below average to average defense puts the Hawks in the driver seat for a playoff game and a chance at a playoff victory.
No QB can carry a team period, carry an offense possibly but every QB needs help/ Brady never carried the Pats, he had a Running game or a defense as well.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Will a college OC that didn't even develop his own offensive scheme, improve our offense?
Will our team improve as a whole with a newb head coach?
Will Geno grasp a totally new offense without a three-year head start?

Don't be fooled...... PC had his hands all over the offense regardless the OC.

Look at all the head coaches that were fired after only one year on the job in recent years.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Will a college OC that didn't even develop his own offensive scheme, improve our offense?

Look at all the head coaches that were fired after only one year on the job in recent years.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The first-year failure rate is around 20%. I don't think that's a strong of an argument as you seem to think it is. While the proof is in the pudding, and remains to be seen, I wouldn't put MacDaddy in the 20% from this year's new hires.

sutz

Reaction score
The first-year failure rate is around 20%. I don't think that's a strong of an argument as you seem to think it is. While the proof is in the pudding, and remains to be seen, I wouldn't put MacDaddy in the 20% from this year's new hires.
If nothing else, history tells us that this owners/management group don't usually do that. We've only had one or two coaches fired after one year in team history. Generally they get 2-3 years minimum to show improvement.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
If nothing else, history tells us that this owners/management group don't usually do that. We've only had one or two coaches fired after one year in team history. Generally they get 2-3 years minimum to show improvement.
The Tom Flores/Dennis Erickson years reside in a part of my brain I rarely ever access, between the Nordstrom years and the Allen years. Jim Mora was a legit 1st year fire, and he was fired under Paul Allen. Mike McCormack was an interim coach under the Nordstroms.

So you're right, this ownership group doesn't have a history of early firing, with the exception of Mora.

Scout

Reaction score
I doubt Penix will still be there at 16. JS doesn’t have the chips to move up either.

If McCarthy goes as high as some think (eg Vikings trading up for him) Penix will probably be there in the mid first round. The sleeper team that might take a shot at Penix might be the Broncos.

There is talk of Penix slipping to the 2nd round but there are QB hungry teams at the end of the first round that might take a shot at Penix.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Penix will be a raider or a Bronco. Off the board before we pick.

HawkFreak

Reaction score

So...you don't like Grubb?

Just to clarify - when you say "own" are you talking ground breaking new scheme built from scratch?

How many OCs in the NFL have developed their "own" offensive scheme that isn't borrowed/adapted/tweaked from a mentor or some other coach they've worked under?

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
So...you don't like Grubb?

Just to clarify - when you say "own" are you talking ground breaking new scheme built from scratch?

How many OCs in the NFL have developed their "own" offensive scheme that isn't borrowed/adapted/tweaked from a mentor or some other coach they've worked under?
Grubb's offense is Deboer's offense. Grubb has been with Deboer from the start.

He was wide receivers coach, run game coordinator, OL coach, QB coach...

All under Deboer. Either Deboer was the OC or head coach. It was his offenses not Grubb's.

Grubb is going from an OC of a college team to OC of an NFL team. BIG JUMP.

Latest posts