HC Mike MacDonald on QB Competition

IndyHawk

Reaction score
It's up to Grubb on offense anyway (my opinion)
John supplies the players and MM/RG do their magic.
Geno crushes Sam in comp anyway it's not a question.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
It's up to Grubb on offense anyway (my opinion)
John supplies the players and MM/RG do their magic.
Geno crushes Sam in comp anyway it's not a question.
If Geno crushes it, why not run a QB competition? The questions it might raises might not be convenient? 🤔. You might as well say we are in it to entertain not win.

Reaction score
That good old boys network, gotta love it. Is Geno so darn fragile you gotta run interference for him?
I think Geno has proven over the course of his career resilience in being a backup with unwavering doubt of getting a starting job again one day. He has at least shown confidence and consistency in that for sure.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Odd that a month ago we restructured Geno but he wouldn’t anoint him the starter, even though we had no other QB competition in the roster. Then we trade for Howell and suddenly Geno is the starter and Howell is the backup. Makes me wonder what went wrong. Did John put his foot down? Did they take a shot at a different QB and lose out? Did Geno find pics of Macdonald in a compromising position? Is Howell THAT bad? What has changed?

evergreen

Reaction score
Let’s see. A pro bowler his last two years. Hmm…. Remember an average defense and we could’ve won two or three more. 2nd Rams. Cincinnati. Pittsburgh. That would give us 12 wins. Maybe the Cincinnati game is Geno’s fault. Maybe it’s Pete’s fault for not kicking field goals.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Odd that a month ago we restructured Geno but he wouldn’t anoint him the starter, even though we had no other QB competition in the roster. Then we trade for Howell and suddenly Geno is the starter and Howell is the backup. Makes me wonder what went wrong. Did John put his foot down? Did they take a shot at a different QB and lose out? Did Geno find pics of Macdonald in a compromising position? Is Howell THAT bad? What has changed?
Brand new staff. Makes sense to get a grip on things first. Everyone under review until the dust settles.

Scout

Reaction score
The team was high on Lock and saw his upside near the level of Geno's if I was to speculate. But the Giants offered Lock more money and a shot to start and the rest is history. Lock denies that the Giants promised him a chance at a starting gig but the truth is the the starting QB job for the Giants is up for grabs.

Jones injury ensures that he might not be ready for week 1 and he is shaky as a starter so Lock have a shot of being a week 1 starter.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
Brand new staff. Makes sense to get a grip on things first. Everyone under review until the dust settles.
Except they haven’t seen him do a single thing live yet. When he was last asked that question Geno was the only qb on the team yet not bamed current starter. Then we give up draft capital for someone and suddenly he’s now definitely the starter? There’s more here than meets the eye. Likely something we may never know for sure

scutterhawk

Reaction score
That good old boys network, gotta love it. Is Geno so darn fragile you gotta run interference for him? 😂. Ok...
Geno Smith is a hell of a lot better than a few of y'all .NET'rs give him credit for.
Some of you folks think that a 33 year old is over the hill? How old was Tom brady when he won his last Super Bowl Ring?
NOT saying that Geno is another "Tom Brady" but hey I was still able to do kip-ups when I was 40, and when I was at retirement age (63) I had 26 year old co-workers who could NOT keep up with my grueling speed at ripping out 82 pound cast iron grates at the steam boiler plant @ Weyerhaeuser....I am now 76 and I would bet a paycheck they still wouldn't be able to keep up...Conditioning Matters.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Perhaps Ryan Grub has had time to review some game tape on Geno and feels that there is no need to diss on him.
NOW (before the Draft) is a good time to get your Ducks in a row, get your STARTERS saddled up AND Build AROUND that nucleus.
Make decisions and get your groove on so to speak.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Perhaps Ryan Grub has had time to review some game tape on Geno and feels that there is no need to diss on him.
NOW (before the Draft) is a good time to get your Ducks in a row, get your STARTERS saddled up AND Build AROUND that nucleus.
Make decisions and get your groove on so to speak.
I don’t disagree that Geno should be our starter this season but to no more confident in his skills after acquiring a new quarterback with starting experience than you were when you had no other options seems odd.

It also seems wrong to me to not have done that homework before letting his guaranteed kick in and restructuring his contract to insure he’d stay.

Torc

Reaction score
When Macdonald made comments about Geno while he was the only QB on the roster, he had just gotten here and probably hadn't had a ton of chance to look at film. Neither had Grubb. Now they have, and they're saying Geno is the starter. It makes sense and it isn't about coddling Geno or anything like that.

Of course, Howell is going to look AMAZING in preseason going against 3rd and 4th stringers and .Net will be clamoring for him to start. :p

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The only thing that has changed is for people who tried to read the tea leaves, and insisted that not naming Geno as the starter earlier was somehow significant.

Jac

Reaction score
It's as if everybody just ignores the second half of that tweet. "Sam is a great young player, and he’s got a really bright future that we believe in." A really bright future as a backup? Yes, Geno is the designated starter going into training camp and further into Week #1. Doesn't mean that's how it ends up by the end of the season.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Except they haven’t seen him do a single thing live yet. When he was last asked that question Geno was the only qb on the team yet not bamed current starter. Then we give up draft capital for someone and suddenly he’s now definitely the starter? There’s more here than meets the eye. Likely something we may never know for sure
I really, really don't think there is much more to it. I'm sure they were looking at their potential acquisitions and draft options, took stock of everything and decided on an offseason roadmap, and went from there.

Yeah, they gave up draft capital for Sam Howell. JS then immediately said he was coming in as the backup, and MM corroborated it today. I'm not sure why there's gotta be a conspiracy afoot. This all makes sense.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
When Macdonald made comments about Geno while he was the only QB on the roster, he had just gotten here and probably hadn't had a ton of chance to look at film. Neither had Grubb. Now they have, and they're saying Geno is the starter. It makes sense and it isn't about coddling Geno or anything like that.

Of course, Howell is going to look AMAZING in preseason going against 3rd and 4th stringers and .Net will be clamoring for him to start. :p
He could look like absolute shit and there'd still be posters saying he did better than Geno.

Many make their minds up before the action starts and fit what happens onto the field into something that supports their existing position.

See the reaction to Jacob Eason's putrid 2022 preseason for examples.