HC Mike MacDonald on QB Competition

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Geno sucked for nine years and wasn't well thought of in NY or LA.

He had a full year to learn Waldron's offense as a backup but when Wilson left, Waldron had to dumb down the offense for Geno because it was too much. Waldron called in the play and gave Geno one extra play to audible if need be.

I think Geno called an audible like five times all last season.

BASF

Reaction score
Damn, I love this place. It's like some of you don't know that Grubb has been an offensive coordinator/QB coach for a bunch of QBs since 2010 in college. His MO has been tailoring his offense to his QB for a dozen years. The offense will be made for Geno Smith.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Damn, I love this place. It's like some of you don't know that Grubb has been an offensive coordinator/QB coach for a bunch of QBs since 2010 in college. His MO has been tailoring his offense to his QB for a dozen years. The offense will be made for Geno Smith.
Yeah, I remember when Spurrier, Saban, and Meyer tried that.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Geno sucked for nine years and wasn't well thought of in NY or LA.

He had a full year to learn Waldron's offense as a backup but when Wilson left, Waldron had to dumb down the offense for Geno because it was too much. Waldron called in the play and gave Geno one extra play to audible if need be.

I think Geno called an audible like five times all last season.
You think wrong, because that's just absolute fantasy land stuff. Any chance of you dealing with pieces of information that are actually known and verifiable?

The offense had to be reworked because Russell Wilson runs a pretty specific offense which needs to be built around him. The "training wheels" got taken off relatively quickly, and the production was undeniably good from Smith.

You're reaching to fit the world into your fantasy of Geno Smith being an invalid who can't understand the game, and you're discarding the fact that what you're saying is obviously outside of the realm of reason.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
Some real debbie downers in here that don't know how to enjoy life.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
"Tailor your scheme to your players, Pete! WHY CAN'T YOU CHANGE!"

*Pete and his assistants very obviously tailor the scheme to the player*

"NO! If the player isn't good enough to do only the good plays all of the time, he sucks! Get a new quarterback and coach who will do it right!"

*Seahawks fire Pete, hire new coach*

"Yes! Finally, a coach who can change his schemes to fit his players!"

*New offensive staff with proven track record of malleable scheme to fit personnel*

"NOOOOO!"

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Grubb's offense was DeBoer's offense. Grubb was brilliant at executing it but did not devise it.
Grubb followed DeBoer around everywhere he coached.

It will be a big jump from Washington OC to Seahawks OC.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Penix get drafted by the Seahawks.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Grubb's offense was DeBoer's offense. Grubb was brilliant at executing it but did not devise it.
Grubb followed DeBoer around everywhere he coached.

It will be a big jump from Washington OC to Seahawks OC.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Penix get drafted by the Seahawks.
This feels like a bit of skepticism about Grubb being a slam dunk hire, which I agree with and is fair.

I don't see how this somehow makes Sam Howell more capable of learning the offense than Geno Smith, who arguably stands to benefit even more from a college-influenced offense (which is an over-simplification) seeing as he is literally one of the best college passers of all time and Sam... wasn't.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Geno is the starter. If the coaches keep saying it long enough, more people around here will start to believe it.

Scout

Reaction score
Geno elevated his game from his younger, earlier career by learning to better diagnose pre snap reads from Phillip Rivers.

As for playoff wins Wolford and Mayfield have playoff wins but no one other than the TB Bucs were eager to sign either of them last off season. Keep in mind though that Wolford and Mayfield has help to win those respective playoff games..it wasn't like they carried their respective teams to playoff victories. The Hawks haven't played like a complete team in ages since the Legion of Boom so many around here do not understand that to win playoff games outside of Mahomes it requires a team effort. And even Mahomes had help from a very good defense this past season.

The state of the NFC and QB picture:

Falcons, Cousins: Can still play but how will he look post injury? Also no Justin Jefferson to lean on to dominate games anymore.
Panthers, Young: Can Canales keep Young's jersey clean so he can develop? Can Evero hold that defense together with duct tape?
Bucs, Mayfield: Has to show that it was not a fluke season and must do it without Canales. Bucs destiny is till tied to that defense though.
Saints, Carr: Carr had a late season resurgence but he was still not able to will his team to the playoffs without help. Same was true when he was a Raider.

Cowboys, Prescot: Prescott can do only so much as the defense has to seal the deal in December/January games.
Commanders, ????: They are drafting a QB and starting over.
Eagles, Hurts: The Eagles and Hurts need to evolve because teams are starting to figure them out on offense. Defensive backend is holding them back.
Giants, Jones,????: Can Jones actually look like a proper NFL QB consistently? Can he return from his injury? What if the Giants draft a QB in round 1.

Bears, ???: They are drafting Williams #1 overall most likely and they are rebuilding.
Lions, Goff: Goff can not carry that team just like when he was with the Rams. Goff needs help from his defense.
Packers, Love: Packers offense looks renewed but the defense is what carried Rodgers late in his career and the same will be true for Love.
Vikings, ???: Who knows what they do with the QB position.

Rams, Stafford: Stafford is not in his prime and can not carry the Rams (especially without Aaron Donald). Stafford couldn't even carry the Lions when he was in his prime.
Cardinals, Murray: Murray needs a better supporting cast around him on offense and defense.
49ers, Purdy: Most complete team in all of the NFL and Purdy still can not seal the deal. 49ers needs to improve their supporting cast even more to go over the hump for a SB victory.
Hawks, Smith: Geno has been in control of the Hawks offensive side of the ball but the defense has been just flat out bad. Even a below average to average defense puts the Hawks in the driver seat for a playoff game and a chance at a playoff victory.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if Geno isn't the starter, quite surprised really. Then again, I can't see there NOT being a competition. Even if Geno is very likely the guy.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Deeply held opinions are pretty impervious to factual information. ;)
There will be holdouts, but the number will decline, if the coaches remain consistent in their messaging.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Geno is the starter until he's not.

When the coaches realize he hasn't grasped the offense by end of preseason, they'll change to Penix because he's familiar with it.

Yes.... I'm saying they will draft Penix.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It's not how or whom you start, it's how you finish. It's a long season. If they do indeed actually draft Penix, which seems doubtful now, it would at least make for an intriguing season, and inject a lot of hope into the equation. It would be must watch football for sure. I for one however will believe it when I see it.

As an aside, sad to hear about Ray Stevenson last May. He was a great actor. Loved him in Rome.

Last edited:

uncle fester

Reaction score
I doubt Penix will still be there at 16. JS doesn’t have the chips to move up either.

Latest posts