HC Mike MacDonald on QB Competition

Hotchy

Reaction score
Did someone mention nucleus and Geno Smith in the same sentence ? Lmfao
Naming Smith the starter is like buying that girlfriend you want to break up with a Christmas present. Wasteful .
Fun fact: in 10 seasons, Geno Smith is 0-1 as a playoff QB. So it's safe to make plans in January with your wife.

keasley45

Reaction score
Odd that a month ago we restructured Geno but he wouldn’t anoint him the starter, even though we had no other QB competition in the roster. Then we trade for Howell and suddenly Geno is the starter and Howell is the backup. Makes me wonder what went wrong. Did John put his foot down? Did they take a shot at a different QB and lose out? Did Geno find pics of Macdonald in a compromising position? Is Howell THAT bad? What has changed?
They didn't proclaim him the starter, shouting it from the mountain tops because they were trying to keep Lock around. It had nothing to with lack of faith in him and more to do with JS trying to assure that Lock would be around in Seattle to follow Smith when he stepped down. Lock wanted a legit chance to be a starter. Seattle had to create the image of there being less than a 100% commitment to Geno for Lock to consider staying. Comments from John like '[Geno] is the starter until he's not' is direct evidence of this.

And Reporting stating that Lock left for NY because he'd have a legit chance to be number 1 also confirms that it was a criteria of his.

The only reason there's a question about whether Geno is the bona-fide starter is because there's controversy among fans surrounding his worthiness. I don't think the coaches have ever legitimately considered going intonthe season with anyone else, given grabbing a top 3 guy was never a possibility. And even if they HAD chosen to go up and get one of the top 3 guys, I think THEY STILL would have gone into the season with Geno as the guy.

SuperSonic67

Reaction score
Absolutely nothing the Seahawks leadership (meaning JS and MM) say or do publicly a month before the draft is going to reveal what the plan is in any way, shape or form.

Come on…do we really need to explain what’s going on? We are not going to tip our hat or give anyone a hint of what the plan is going into a draft.

No one has any clue as to what we’re going to do or what the plan is, and it’s by design. Every team does it, and if they don’t…not smart.

xray

Reaction score
Upon further consideration ; I have come to the realization that it doesn't really matter which of the two is the starter . The Hawks have 2 bridges now . imo

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I really, really don't think there is much more to it. I'm sure they were looking at their potential acquisitions and draft options, took stock of everything and decided on an offseason roadmap, and went from there.

Yeah, they gave up draft capital for Sam Howell. JS then immediately said he was coming in as the backup, and MM corroborated it today. I'm not sure why there's gotta be a conspiracy afoot. This all makes sense.
There are some folks that just don't see Geno as the Quarterback that's going to take the Seahawks very far and to some extent I kind of get where they're coming from, but fact is, everybody seems to be coming to the same Pete Carroll conclusion, finding an upgrade over what Geno can do is not as easy as some folks think.
The Seahawks needed to find Lock's replacement and I think they saw Howell as probably the best option to back-up to Geno, and who knows, he might pick up some really good habits from Geno and maybe take his play to the next level.
They're starting from scratch, so naming Geno Smith as the starter gives he and Ryan Grub some time to work at coordinating strategies.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
Unless you have someone like Mahomes there is always a competition for the starting role. Whether it is two guys with roughly similar chances of starting like Lock and Geno in 2022 or an expected starter but if the expected back-up is exceptional in pre season they could get the role.

In 2012 we got Flynn on starter money hoping he would be an improvement on Jackson. Wilson as a 3rd round pick was never expected to start week 1 (and most of the media thought he would never start an NFL game) he outplayed both Flynn and Jackson in pre season and earned the starting job.

Geno is the expected starter in 2024 but who actually sarts depends on what happens between now and September.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Makes me think that initially, MM/JS considered drafting a QB in the first but chips don't seem to be falling our way with QBs being available.

This is what i'm thinking too. After some dust settled and moves were made, they decided it was best to go into a different direction. Geno and Howell are still both short term until they fill holes and draft their guy in a year or two.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
This is all a big nothingburger, but I do think Macdonald should refrain from making final statements. He would be better off just staying vague and saying stuff like they'll see how it plays out and go from there.

Scout

Reaction score
Well, it looks like "always compete" is out the window. Regardless, this is much ado about nothing. Does it really matter? Neither Geno or Sam are world beaters. Yes I know, let's give Sam a chance, yada yada. Most likely however, we'll muddle through for a couple years still picking mid to late 1st round, and still be wondering if we'll ever be able to find a top ranked qb that can get us over the hump and win a sb, along with 31 other teams who don't have a qb named Mahomes. Unfortunately, I don't see anything changing significantly at qb unless the wheels fall off. On the plus side, we'll be building our roster and if/when we ever do find [or develop] a legit qbotf, the roster should be in great shape.
While I understand your sentiment the "Packers way" with Ron Wolf has been to keep throwing resources at the position regardless of draft position.

Ideally if you are picking in the top ten you have a shot at a QB if you like a prospect.

But Brett Favre was traded for 2nd round pick.
Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th overall
Jordan Love was drafted with the 26th pick overall with a Packers trade up.

Point being there is always QBs available if a team is aggressive and always looking turning over every stone.

Acquiring Howell isn't the end but a start so like I said I expect the Hawks to draft a QB if there is one they like in this draft.

WarHawks

Reaction score
While I understand your sentiment the "Packers way" with Ron Wolf has been to keep throwing resources at the position regardless of draft position.

Ideally if you are picking in the top ten you have a shot at a QB if you like a prospect.

But Brett Favre was traded for 2nd round pick.
Aaron Rodgers was drafted 24th overall
Jordan Love was drafted with the 26th pick overall with a Packers trade up.

Point being there is always QBs available if a team is aggressive and always looking turning over every stone.

Acquiring Howell isn't the end but a start so like I said I expect the Hawks to draft a QB if there is one they like in this draft.
Agreed.

GemCity

Reaction score
There are some folks that just don't see Geno as the Quarterback that's going to take the Seahawks very far and to some extent I kind of get where they're coming from, but fact is, everybody seems to be coming to the same Pete Carroll conclusion, finding an upgrade over what Geno can do is not as easy as some folks think.
The Seahawks needed to find Lock's replacement and I think they saw Howell as probably the best option to back-up to Geno, and who knows, he might pick up some really good habits from Geno and maybe take his play to the next level.
They're starting from scratch, so naming Geno Smith as the starter gives he and Ryan Grub some time to work at coordinating strategies.
Well said!!

I don’t think Geno can take us there. I also don’t believe there’s a better, viable option available.

Lots of folks are salivating for QBs in this years draft but, at what cost?

There’s the ol “take a shot argument” but that’s going to be a hefty price to pay if it doesn’t pan out.

Considering all the teams that need a QB, our draft position, staff experience, etc…I truly believe Geno is the best option available.

I pray we build the trenches and then find our guy in the coming years.

With that said, I’m not going to complain if JS makes a move on a guy. More so than ever (past 8 or so years), I trust the FO.

Last edited:

GemCity

Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Geno isn’t our best option at the position, I just find the timing of the change in statements odd. That is all
No doubt!!

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Geno is good, not great. The jump from good to great is huge and very hard to do. Very likely he is the starter this year. Penix will be off the board at 16. Raider or Donks will take him.

olyfan63

Reaction score
The new regime has no reasonable shot at moving up to draft one of the top four QBs, and that's a legacy of Pete's questionable GM decisions over multiple years. The cost to move up would be too high. The L. Williams trade wasn't "horrible", but it left us paying a big (but probably fair) contract to an impact player, and missing out on a chance to get a cheap QBOTF in a QB-rich draft, and tilting our roster to the salary-cap-heavy side. Even if Penix was our QBOTF target with a high day 2 pick.

MM/JS have maximized what was reasonably possible this year for the QB position, IMO, especially given the timing. Other posters think JS was trying to keep Lock in the fold, and had to speak carefully, and I concur. This season Lock showed he could go win a game against a good team in prime time. Giants noticed. Lock was developing/unlearning bad habits nicely. Now it's Howell's turn. MM/JS made the smart decision to organize around Geno for the upcoming season. We'll get to see what Howell brings soon enough. I expect MM/JS to go IOL/OT in the draft, take a large human who will upgrade the protection for whatever QB is under center.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Geno is good, not great. The jump from good to great is huge and very hard to do. Very likely he is the starter this year. Penix will be off the board at 16. Raider or Donks will take him.
That's the wildcard question, isn't it? Many mocks have Penix going in the 2nd, injury history and such. Regardless, the Hawks have made their choices at QB. I have to think Grubb has given his blessing to building his offense around Geno with Howell as the backup. I like Penix and think someone is going to get a good starter at a fair draft cost.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Well, it looks like "always compete" is out the window. Regardless, this is much ado about nothing. Does it really matter? Neither Geno or Sam are world beaters. Yes I know, let's give Sam a chance, yada yada. Most likely however, we'll muddle through for a couple years still picking mid to late 1st round, and still be wondering if we'll ever be able to find a top ranked qb that can get us over the hump and win a sb, along with 31 other teams who don't have a qb named Mahomes. Unfortunately, I don't see anything changing significantly at qb unless the wheels fall off. On the plus side, we'll be building our roster and if/when we ever do find [or develop] a legit qbotf, the roster should be in great shape.

CallMeADawg

Reaction score
Except they haven’t seen him do a single thing live yet. When he was last asked that question Geno was the only qb on the team yet not bamed current starter. Then we give up draft capital for someone and suddenly he’s now definitely the starter? There’s more here than meets the eye. Likely something we may never know for sure

BASF

Reaction score
Ooo, framing an argument is fun. Let me try...

Geno Smith, in only four years of starting, while spending six backing up two hall of famers and one that marks around here believe should be a hall of famer was only able to pull the weight of four bad teams to make the playoffs once. Each time that he took over for the previous starter, his teams increased their win total by two games, so was definitely an improvement.

In two of those four seasons, he even led the league in fourth quarter comebacks, including setting the NFL record for most go ahead touchdowns with one minute left, all while not being clutch enough according to people around here.

In his one playoff game, the Seahawks failed to win as Geno was not able to lead six touchdown drives against the best defense that season, as our pathetic defense surrendered forty-one points. Damn that Geno Smith and his inability to score two and a half times the amount of what the Niners averaged allowing that season.

As I have pointed out, that season only one team got close to that point total, and exceeded it, against the Niners and that is the Super Bowl champion, Chiefs. Led by future hall of famers Andy Reid (one of the best offensive minds in the history of the game) and Patrick Mahomes, who will soon be in the conversation as the GOAT, they could have won that game with our pathetic defense. They did get a safety, so they scored forty-two against that Niner defense. If only Smith could have Andy Reid calling his plays, maybe Smith would have had a chance to win that game.

Last edited:

kidhawk

Reaction score
They didn't proclaim him the starter, shouting it from the mountain tops because they were trying to keep Lock around. It had nothing to with lack of faith in him and more to do with JS trying to assure that Lock would be around in Seattle to follow Smith when he stepped down. Lock wanted a legit chance to be a starter. Seattle had to create the image of there being less than a 100% commitment to Geno for Lock to consider staying. Comments from John like '[Geno] is the starter until he's not' is direct evidence of this.

And Reporting stating that Lock left for NY because he'd have a legit chance to be number 1 also confirms that it was a criteria of his.

The only reason there's a question about whether Geno is the bona-fide starter is because there's controversy among fans surrounding his worthiness. I don't think the coaches have ever legitimately considered going intonthe season with anyone else, given grabbing a top 3 guy was never a possibility. And even if they HAD chosen to go up and get one of the top 3 guys, I think THEY STILL would have gone into the season with Geno as the guy.

This actually makes some sense. If they felt Lock was the best option at backup but wanted to get him under contract before committing to Geno then I can see them being hushed about it.

sutz

Reaction score
I'm reminded of Chris Gray, OG, who almost everybody around here seemed to hate, hate, hate, but for several years there he was, starting at guard. :LOL: