Golden Tate signs with the Lions

MVP53

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2v5yqz9h said:
Because I'm entitled to my opinion, that's why. He left a superbowl champ to go play for a joke of a franchise, all for more $. I think it's a stupid choice. Unless they offered WAY more, I don't get it. But oh well, he'll regret it.
Oh well, next man up. Loved him as a player, just surprised at his choice.

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean it's informed. We don't even know if Seattle offered him a contract AT ALL.

So, yes Seahawks > Lions, but take Seattle out of the equation and Lions > sitting around on the couch.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":zk82jpj3 said:
Seems like a lot of sour grapes. I wasn't hearing about all of these complaints about Tate being ineffective at the line before today.

Its the same thing as with Bennett. While testing FA "Bennett only had 8.5 sacks. Cliff Avril was a huge part of his success". After getting resigned "Yay! Bennett! So happy he is back!"

MVP53

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":27h005xm said:
Always have been a fan of Tate, and have been sticking up for him for the entire time he was here. Doesn't mean it's not natural to be angry that he chose to leave the Hawks.

This is my point. You don't know that it was HIS choice. Very well could have been the Seahawks choice.

cboom

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":24nppr5b said:
Because I'm entitled to my opinion, that's why. He left a superbowl champ to go play for a joke of a franchise, all for more $. I think it's a stupid choice. Unless they offered WAY more, I don't get it. But oh well, he'll regret it.

Easy to say this as a fan when its not your life you are talking about. These guys have very short careers and to say changing a team for money is stupid is very irrational. You would get it if you were the one getting the paycheck.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
-The Glove-":2ej2p0ay said:
Oh I'm sorry. Tate was merely a product of the Seahawks' incredible blocking on ST's. His vision and ability to break tackles had nothing to do with it. He obviously sucked since he never returned one to the house. Carry on

what? :34853_doh:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1dkp1wrk said:
ErikG803":1dkp1wrk said:
5/31, 13.25 guaranteed

Tate tweeted he's a Lion, it's official.

Surprised that the Hawks wouldn't pull the trigger on a deal like that. Maybe $5 mil per year is as high as they were willing to go

Too much for Tate. We can draft someone in R1 or R2 that would be cheaper and comparable to Tate in our system.

I love the guy, but that's money that would go towards Thomas and Sherman.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":22hqhlak said:
Come on it's obvious that we either offered him far less or nothing at all. It's Detroit think about that.

"It's Detroit" doesn't hurt much once you've already got a ring. Besides, they have a very good QB and will throw the ball to Tate a lot more. I can see the the attractiveness to him signing there, no doubt about it.

canfan

Reaction score
ESPN is reporting that the Lions signed him for 5 years at $31 million, including $13.25 million guaranteed. Supposedly, the Seahawks offer was 4 years for somewhere around $20 million. Who can blame him for making the move for that kind of money. Careers are short - they have to make it while they can.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":34d2ycao said:
How could you not be a fan of Tate?

He produced far in excess of his measurables.

I believe he produced some of the best YAC #s for a receiver.

He improved our offense because his ability to fight for the ball meant that throwing to him while covered was not as much of a risk but could potentially turn into a payoff.

I cannot begrudge him for taking the deal, but some people forgot just how effective he was. The reality is that people compared him with Hines Ward, and not just because of attitude. That isn't a comparison an average player is going to get.

I find it ridiculous that people actually think Kearse is a better option. Yes, Kearse showed up more in the playoffs. But when defenders lock on one threat, it opens up opportunities for the other. The question is whether the removal of that threat will diminish those opportunities. I would assume it might.

Either way, without Tate we don't win a few of those games last year. I am going to miss watching him as a Hawk because unlike others I do think we lost something in losing him to another team.

Without tate last year we obv dont win a few of those games because we would of been down Tate, Harvin AND Rice and been on our 4th and 5th options.

You want to talk about YAC, What about this guy?
percy%20harvin%20seattle.jpg

Harvin is on a different tier than Tate. Harvin had more YAC in 2012 than Tate had all of 2013 and he only played like half the season.

I wanted Tate back but not for more than 4 million. He is a good #2 WR but I am SO glad we didnt overpay for him. On offense the 3 pieces we probably need to keep are Wilson, Harvin and Okung.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":34okw4y0 said:

He also went from a run happy offense to a pass happy offense. That might have been a factor as well.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
MVP53":nme2926j said:
SoulfishHawk":nme2926j said:

You're entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't mean it's informed. We don't even know if Seattle offered him a contract AT ALL.

So, yes Seahawks > Lions, but take Seattle out of the equation and Lions > sitting around on the couch.

Which ironically is where he will be come playoff time...ZING

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
canfan":2hwrr6hg said:
ESPN is reporting that the Lions signed him for 5 years at $31 million, including $13.25 million guaranteed. Supposedly, the Seahawks offer was 4 years for somewhere around $20 million. Who can blame him for making the move for that kind of money. Careers are short - they have to make it while they can.

If this is true, the Hawks had very little desire to resign him and I think this represents his value fairly. Love John and Pete...

plyka

Reaction score
Cartire":25sw1v12 said:
Well, at least he can get a mansion in Detroit for less then half a mil. Cost of living would be a factor for me.

Along with a 10 man former special forces team to act as your body guards. That would raise the cost of living a bit.

253hawk

Reaction score
I don't see much upside to playing in Detroit on the LoLions in the shadow of Megatron with Stafford throwing the rock, but whatever, at least Tate's getting paid I guess. Have fun fighting tooth and nail all season for that wild card spot because the Lions suck, have always sucked and will always suck.

plyka

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":uz2sdk23 said:
Anthony!":uz2sdk23 said:
IF we did indeed offer him a 5 year 35 mil deal with 17 mil guaranteed, and he took a lesser deal, than the whole wanting stay was wrong. However given we do not throw the ball as much, and now he is in a throw first offense, he can get more opportunities and maybe more stats. Hard to argue. This is one of the reasons I am concerned about Rw. He will never be able to be great or considered great in our offense as is. SO he might look to leave to go to a more pass orientated team. Not to mention we have shown little drive to improve the offense beside Harvin. O-line sucks at pass blocking has for 2 years and we have not done much to improve that. Now we are down a WR and punt returner.
Come on it's obvious that we either offered him far less or nothing at all. It's Detroit think about that.

Of course you're correct. From reading between the lines, I don't think Seattle offered him anything, and probably knew what they valued him wouldn't be enough (i'm guessing around 3 years for 4m per year). We know that Bennett was made an offer prior to free agency, but we didn't hear anything about Tate. In fact, in an interview Tate said something about it being "very quiet" or "not much news" and this was right before free agency started.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
So how soon does it sink into tate that the extra million a year wasnt worth it. Im thinking about the middle of the season when the Lions are struggling and the Seahawks are on their way locking up the NFC west again.

Even if Seattle didnt offer him anything was their truly no interest in ANY other team. If I was a player and had any competitive drive at all the lions would be on of the last places I would want to play.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":17d2uc1u said:
Harvin is on a different tier than Tate. Harvin had more YAC in 2012 than Tate had all of 2013 and he only played like half the season.
Harvin had 62 receptions in 2012 despite playing half the season. Tate had 64 receptions in 2013. Harvin averaged a league-leading 8.7 yards after the catch per reception in 2012, while Tate averaged a league-leading 7.9 yards after the catch per reception in 2013. Don't undervalue Tate, IMO.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":34v9hi3o said:
So how soon does it sink into tate that the extra million a year wasnt worth it. Im thinking about the middle of the season when the Lions are struggling and the Seahawks are on their way locking up the NFC west again.

He could have buyers remorse now LOL. Sounds like his agent didn't even go over the particulars with him, didn't want to cut his commission LOL.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Benjamin, Moncrief, Matthews, Robinson, Bryant, Adams, and Coleman are all happy that makes one more team in the market for a WR and that they might get to play on a Super Bowl favorite in the beautiful city of Seattle.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
My opinion is what it is, and that's cool. This team will be fine w/out him. Sucks, but it's part of Football, the business of $.