Golden Tate signs with the Lions

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Anthony!":1xg0xk10 said:
IF we did indeed offer him a 5 year 35 mil deal with 17 mil guaranteed, and he took a lesser deal, than the whole wanting stay was wrong. However given we do not throw the ball as much, and now he is in a throw first offense, he can get more opportunities and maybe more stats. Hard to argue. This is one of the reasons I am concerned about Rw. He will never be able to be great or considered great in our offense as is. SO he might look to leave to go to a more pass orientated team. Not to mention we have shown little drive to improve the offense beside Harvin. O-line sucks at pass blocking has for 2 years and we have not done much to improve that. Now we are down a WR and punt returner.
Come on it's obvious that we either offered him far less or nothing at all. It's Detroit think about that.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Wasn't a huge fan of Tate. Apprectiated the many good things he did for this team though and wish him well. Until that production is replaced it will be missed. Kind of excited to see who they bring in at the position now that it seems even more likely that will happen whether through draft/trade/FA or a combo.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SHOCKER315":xpdys55g said:
I think Baldwin is more consistent than Tate, and Kearse became a bigger target by the end of the year. I appreciate what Golden accomplished with Seattle, and wish him well. But his skills aren't irreplaceable. No need to overspend to keep him here.

So long Golden, thanks for the memories, best of luck.

I basically want to second this. Why is everyone upset about losing Tate? Do people ACTUALLY believe Tate is that much better than Baldwin or Kearse. I would have to look it up but I am pretty sure both Baldwin and Kearse outplayed Tate in the playoffs and Baldwin is probably the most clutch WR we have.

I wish him well but I really hope he thought about WHERE he was signing and not just the dollar ammount. The lions are quite possibly the worst Franchise in the ENTIRE nfl. They HAVE to be with only 1 playoff win in the entire superbowl era and only one playoff appearance in the 2000s. Hopefully that extra 1-2 million can buy him a nice room to watch playoff games because hes going to need that room and a nice couch come playoff time :D

jkitsune

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":2ouyglxh said:
SHOCKER315":2ouyglxh said:
I think Baldwin is more consistent than Tate, and Kearse became a bigger target by the end of the year. I appreciate what Golden accomplished with Seattle, and wish him well. But his skills aren't irreplaceable. No need to overspend to keep him here.

So long Golden, thanks for the memories, best of luck.

I basically want to second this. Why is everyone upset about losing Tate? Do people ACTUALLY believe Tate is that much better than Baldwin or Kearse. I would have to look it up but I am pretty sure both Baldwin and Kearse outplayed Tate in the playoffs and Baldwin is probably the most clutch WR we have.

I wish him well but I really hope he thought about WHERE he was signing and not just the dollar ammount. The lions are quite possibly the worst Franchise in the ENTIRE nfl. They HAVE to be with only 1 playoff win in the entire superbowl era and only one playoff appearance in the 2000s. Hopefully that extra 1-2 million can buy him a nice room to watch playoff games because hes going to need that room and a nice couch come playoff time :D

I wouldn't say I'm upset, but I am definitely sad, and yes, I do think tate is much better than Kearse is right now. Playoff stats, especially in one year, are not a good way to judge a player's ability.

That said, I don't think he's enormously better than Baldwin, except on special teams.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Seaswab":3mv644fx said:
Tate crying in his presser about the defense getting all the attention here. What a clown. Drop some more slants Golden.
go root for the Niners...all this whining on this beautiful day in the PNW. Geezus Kryst!

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Top Pot Doughnuts ‏@Toppot 1h
@ShowtimeTate congratulations and wishing you all the best! Come back to visit someday!

BijUXAjCIAAaEl

MVP53

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1hczgyr4 said:
Fair enough, but this is truly the first time I'm mad about one of the guys being lost.
Dude made a ton of plays for this team, I get it.

Oh well, next man up. He made his choice, stupid choice, but he's no longer a Hawk.

How can you claim he made a stupid choice if you don't know what all his options were?

JS could have told Tate we weren't able to go a penny over $4M per year and far less guaranteed money. Not looking like such a stupid choice then, is it?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3b4oibqf said:
Hey, he got his ring; now he wants cash and some Pro Bowls. If that's what he wants, good for him. I can't blame him. I wonder what I would choose in the same situation.

And just how is he going to get a probowl? Do you TRULY believe that both him and Calvin will be probowlers every year.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
jkitsune":3jhfmzjd said:
seahawk12thman":3jhfmzjd said:
I am curious as to why it was so imperative to sign a guy who amassed 8 catches in the playoffs? If you sign Tate, you can pretty much kiss Baldwin goodbye. Tate is not a difference maker because in our run happy offense he didn't catch the ball. If you want to argue his value, you could say he was an effective punt returner but he never did return one for a touchdown and that is because he lacks break away speed; elite or above average corners shut him down. Now he wants to cry about it in Detroit. Ok Golden, defenses will be looking for your a** now that the Lions have no running game so he will be a bigger factor in defensive game planning.

Maybe I am wrong but not one defensive team suggested the key to stopping the Seahawks was to contain Tate??

There's a lot of things that are wrong with this post, but this one stands out the most. This is such an unreasonably arbitrary way to determine someone's value as a punt returner. Nevermind that Tate had at least one TD called back by a phantom penalty this year, but his averages and multiple clutch, game-swinging returns in games against the Bears, Rams, and Buccaneers (off the top of my head) speak for themselves. He was legitimately elite at the job.

Glad someone said it. A HR isn't the only stat to measure a hitter's effectiveness. I'd take singles and doubles on a consistent basis any day over the HR sparingly

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Because I'm entitled to my opinion, that's why. He left a superbowl champ to go play for a joke of a franchise, all for more $. I think it's a stupid choice. Unless they offered WAY more, I don't get it. But oh well, he'll regret it.
Next man up. Loved him as a player, just surprised at his choice.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
jkitsune":37gcd0t2 said:
seahawk12thman":37gcd0t2 said:
I am curious as to why it was so imperative to sign a guy who amassed 8 catches in the playoffs? If you sign Tate, you can pretty much kiss Baldwin goodbye. Tate is not a difference maker because in our run happy offense he didn't catch the ball. If you want to argue his value, you could say he was an effective punt returner but he never did return one for a touchdown and that is because he lacks break away speed; elite or above average corners shut him down. Now he wants to cry about it in Detroit. Ok Golden, defenses will be looking for your a** now that the Lions have no running game so he will be a bigger factor in defensive game planning.

Maybe I am wrong but not one defensive team suggested the key to stopping the Seahawks was to contain Tate??

There's a lot of things that are wrong with this post, but this one stands out the most. This is such an unreasonably arbitrary way to determine someone's value as a punt returner. Nevermind that Tate had at least one TD called back by a phantom penalty this year, but his averages and multiple clutch, game-swinging returns in games against the Bears, Rams, and Buccaneers (off the top of my head) speak for themselves. He was legitimately elite at the job.

Was he?? Or was he the benefit of great special teams blocking LOL. This is a man who had a whopping total of one touchdown at home all year. With the defenses keyed in on Marshawn, Tate had many opportunities to catch the ball in space and yet he couldn't take it to the house in any of his opportunities. Other that the Rams, I don't remember any real deep pass patterns where Tate exploded down field behind the defense. His offense was centered around catching balls in 8-10 yard patterns and making guys miss with his quickness. Why in the world would we need a Tate when Harvin is faster and much more dangerous in the flat. You need a burner to compliment him and beat defenses deep, especially since Harvin is going to garner safety help.

We didn't play the Bears this year LOL. Baldwin took on to the house against Denver in preseason and he almost returned one against the 49ers. Our special teams blocking was outstanding. I suggest you research your statement before sounding naive.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
How could you not be a fan of Tate?

He produced far in excess of his measurables.

I believe he produced some of the best YAC #s for a receiver.

He improved our offense because his ability to fight for the ball meant that throwing to him while covered was not as much of a risk but could potentially turn into a payoff.

I cannot begrudge him for taking the deal, but some people forgot just how effective he was. The reality is that people compared him with Hines Ward, and not just because of attitude. That isn't a comparison an average player is going to get.

I find it ridiculous that people actually think Kearse is a better option. Yes, Kearse showed up more in the playoffs. But when defenders lock on one threat, it opens up opportunities for the other. The question is whether the removal of that threat will diminish those opportunities. I would assume it might.

Either way, without Tate we don't win a few of those games last year. I am going to miss watching him as a Hawk because unlike others I do think we lost something in losing him to another team.

Ziggyy108

Reaction score
It actually kinda hurts to lose Tate.

Drafted and developed by the Hawks, has game breaking ability and is just entering his prime.

Teams shouldn't be punished because they are great in the draft. And this is essentially what has happened with the Hawks. They are so good at drafting and even developing guys that they get punished by not being able to pay them all!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Always have been a fan of Tate, and have been sticking up for him for the entire time he was here. Doesn't mean it's not natural to be angry that he chose to leave the Hawks.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2eodgffz said:
How could you not be a fan of Tate?

He produced far in excess of his measurables.

I believe he produced some of the best YAC #s for a receiver.

He improved our offense because his ability to fight for the ball meant that throwing to him while covered was not as much of a risk but could potentially turn into a payoff.

I cannot begrudge him for taking the deal, but some people forgot just how effective he was. The reality is that people compared him with Hines Ward, and not just because of attitude. That isn't a comparison an average player is going to get.

I find it ridiculous that people actually think Kearse is a better option. Yes, Kearse showed up more in the playoffs. But when defenders lock on one threat, it opens up opportunities for the other. The question is whether the removal of that threat will diminish those opportunities. I would assume it might.

Either way, without Tate we don't win a few of those games last year. I am going to miss watching him as a Hawk because unlike others I do think we lost something in losing him to another team.

Tate got exposed in the Arizona game. Jam him and don't respect his speed. It worked to a tea and he did nothing of any consequence the rest of the season except for the Rams game. His punt returning has some value but not 6 mil a year.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
-The Glove-":12dpoblx said:
jkitsune":12dpoblx said:
seahawk12thman":12dpoblx said:

Glad someone said it. A HR isn't the only stat to measure a hitter's effectiveness. I'd take singles and doubles on a consistent basis any day over the HR sparingly

What? :34853_doh:

-The Glove-

Reaction score
seahawk12thman":ilekhw9e said:
-The Glove-":ilekhw9e said:
jkitsune":ilekhw9e said:
seahawk12thman":ilekhw9e said:

What? :34853_doh:

Oh I'm sorry. Tate was merely a product of the Seahawks' incredible blocking on ST's. His vision and ability to break tackles had nothing to do with it. He obviously sucked since he never returned one to the house. Carry on