Geno Trade Value?

12forlife

Reaction score
I might literally cry if we traded UP for Mccarthy.

I would probably be ok with him in the 3rd. I'd be uncomfortable in the 2nd but might be able to talk myself into it IF we had a 2nd.

Most overrated qb prospect in a long time, maybe since lance

I don't see atl trading down though, they're in a good spot to take a legit wr, and I don't know how they feel about Ridder, but it's awfully early to move on.

For a trade in general though, I wouldn't make one before draft day, but if one of the top 3 QB's slips to maybe 6+, I wouldn't be upset at all at the idea, for the right price.
Bud are you seriously put JJ McCarthy in the same breath of air as Trey Lance? That was the 9ers being complete retards betting the farm on a kid with like 10 throws in College?
For christ sake JJ took a Big 10 team to a 27-1 record over 2 seasons of being the fulltime starter, a National Championship, with a 72% completion and only 4 turnovers.
Your just being flat disrespectful to JJ even comparing him to Lance!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
What do you think about if we pull a trade off with a QB needy team not in the top 3.
Like say Atlanta? They are sitting @ #8. What if we offered them Geno, pick #16 & '25 2nd or 3rd rd pick.
@ #8 Seattle Seahawks take JJ McCarthy! Or Maye or Daniels if they fall?
I'd only be able to shake my head and laugh if we're trading up for a quarterback with about 75% of Geno's arm.

Realistically with JJ, our hope would have to be that he's 90% of Brock Purdy within 2 years unless he has untapped arm strength to grow into. Seems like a terrible fit with Ryan Grubb as well, as Grubb really likes to utilize competent deep passers in his schemes. He needs a guy who is more of a threat to the intermediate ranges of the field.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Bud are you seriously put JJ McCarthy in the same breath of air as Trey Lance? That was the 9ers being complete retards betting the farm on a kid with like 10 throws in College?
For christ sake JJ took a Big 10 team to a 27-1 record over 2 seasons of being the fulltime starter, a National Championship, with a 72% completion and only 4 turnovers.
To be quite fair, in Lance's starting season, he DID throw 6 more touchdowns than McCarthy in 2023 on about 50 less attempts.

Also rushed for 1100 yards with 14 rushing TDs...

Parallax

Reaction score
Sure you can just restructure him add more years for the same amount left on his contract to lesson the cap hit. I think we can do that from what I read. Also he is definitely not the number 3 option in my opinion. At times last year he was the 1 option. He still has a couple years left. I say we move on from one of our over priced DB's instead because I think we have plenty of depth there.
His skills are degrading too fast to add years. It's not like he's gonna play for nothing in those years. I think it's time to find a trade partner, though maybe during the season, when some team has a strong need. Honestly, we had too many WR options last year. DK, JSN and Bobo make a nice three receiver set.

12forlife

Reaction score
I'd only be able to shake my head and laugh if we're trading up for a quarterback with about 75% of Geno's arm.

Realistically with JJ, our hope would have to be that he's 90% of Brock Purdy within 2 years unless he has untapped arm strength to grow into. Seems like a terrible fit with Ryan Grubb as well, as Grubb really likes to utilize competent deep passers in his schemes. He needs a guy who is more of a threat to the intermediate ranges of the field.

I'm not really sure what your not seeing? Or what I'm seeing that your not? I just don't see what throw that is going to be asked of him in the NFL that he can't make. I am absolutely missing it where some on here think JJ doesn't have an NFL caliber arm? I have to be honest the more I watch him the more I believe he is going top 10? Maybe I've been drinking the cool-aid 😎

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I'm not really sure what your not seeing? Or what I'm seeing that your not? I just don't see what throw that is going to be asked of him in the NFL that he can't make. I am absolutely missing it where some on here think JJ doesn't have an NFL caliber arm? I have to be honest the more I watch him the more I believe he is going top 10? Maybe I've been drinking the cool-aid 😎

Look at 1:40 in the first video. There are too many instances of him having to absolutely fastball throws that generally look a lot more effortless for plus NFL arms.

The margins are thinner in the NFL, and I don't see enough upside to touch this guy top 10 or especially close to it. Your probable hope is that he turns into like 90% of Brock Purdy if you take him. You especially probably can't look too hard at him if you're planning on slinging it around deep. There isn't enough there.

Titus Pullo

Reaction score
Look at 1:40 in the first video. There are too many instances of him having to absolutely fastball throws that generally look a lot more effortless for plus NFL arms.

The margins are thinner in the NFL, and I don't see enough upside to touch this guy top 10 or especially close to it. Your probable hope is that he turns into like 90% of Brock Purdy if you take him. You especially probably can't look too hard at him if you're planning on slinging it around deep. There isn't enough there.
Let's just cut to the chase..... Which QB in the 2024 NFL draft do you want the Seahawks to draft?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Let's just cut to the chase..... Which QB in the 2024 NFL draft do you want the Seahawks to draft?
I'd be head-over-heels with Maye or Daniels, but they're out of range.

I'd be alright with a flier on Penix if he falls to around the third. His medicals scare me too much otherwise.

I don't like Bo Nix in the first 2 days.

I don't like McCarthy until round 3.

Rattler is out for me entirely as a character red flag.

Pratt is alright. Third or early day 3 is about right.

Day 3 fliers on Joe Milton and Jordan Travis would get thumbs ups from me.

Rat

Reaction score
Here's a ranking of every team's current starting QB, with a rather generous write-up on Geno:

12. GENO SMITH, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS Seahawks e1676940861516

Geno Smith is good. He's not special or unquestionably reliable like many of the QBs above him, but he is firmly good.

Most of what makes Stafford good also applies to Smith. The fearlessness in the pocket, the creativity, the raw arm talent to fit every window at all levels of the field — Smith is like an 85 percent version of Stafford. Smith handles a lot of the high-difficulty aspects of quarterbacking well.

Smith should be Seattle's quarterback in 2024, and there should be no question about it. If the Seahawks want to draft someone to develop behind him, fine. But Smith's job should not be in question this season.

Among the QBs the writer has ranked lower include Goff (14th), Rodgers (15th), Hurts (17th), Purdy (18th), Tua (19th), and ME3 (24th).

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Here's a ranking of every team's current starting QB, with a rather generous write-up on Geno:

Among the QBs the writer has ranked lower include Goff (14th), Rodgers (15th), Hurts (17th), Purdy (18th), Tua (19th), and ME3 (24th).
Even I would question his placement above Kirk Cousins, but the write-up is entirely true. Every aspect of the position that is difficult to develop is something that Geno is above average at, including pocket navigation, pocket presence, and his arm.

Burrow's placement is a travesty. Below Trevor Lawrence, CJ Stroud, and Dak Prescott? Lord above.

bigcc

Reaction score
I said SINCE trey lance since I think he's the most since, but I can see how it would look like I'm directly comparing the two.

It's not remotely close lol. Lance was one of the worst picks in nfl history when you consider how much he cost.,and even without trading up he was still a considerably worse pick than JJ.

That being said, jj is not a 1st round prospect. Dude threw for 250 yards like 7-10 games out of 40 started.

bigcc

Reaction score

He could very well go first half of the 1st....
I'm simply saying where I'd be OK taking him, if I had to take a guess where he goes...

Hard to say before combine/pro day, but I think early 2nd seems likely, at an overpay in my humble opinion

I've certainly been wrong before lol, he just doesn't have the upside I'd like as an early pick for qb of the future.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I prefer 1. Rattler because he has proven he can preform behind a terrible OL has mobility and a plus arm 2. Nix because to me he's similar to Penix but right handed and mobile and no injury history 3. Penix but I would like to see us trade back a bit and get a 2nd round pick and snag one of the three there if possible.

12forlife

Reaction score

I guess where I disagree is the fact if he had weak arm strength, he would have thrown more interceptions or wouldn't have had near the completion %? Plenty of people agree with your opinion of JJ. I just ain't one of them? I see JJ as a "potential" star in the league? Guess we will see?

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
McCarthy with the Hawks wide receivers I think is a good combination. Plus he is mobile. Michigan did not have any good wideouts for him to throw to, which I think makes him look like the lesser talent. What I like is he played alot of big games against good teams.