Geno Trade Value?

GemCity

Reaction score
Sorry that was poorly placed.

The topic isn't really in limbo until the end of the draft.

Him being cut discussion ends 2/16
Him being traded discussion realistically ends 3/17. Over a month before the draft starts, for the reasons I mentioned.
Ahh. I understand that.

I could’ve worded it better as I was off-topic a bit.

I’m referring to drafting a QB and what round they’ll do that in (if they do it).

Parallax

Reaction score
I my question/point is why do you want to delay the inevitable? You agree Geno is not our future, so why should we allow Geno technically hold the Hawks back from progressing? I don't think we should "tank" next year. I just don't get why we should slow things down with Geno for one year. I'll have to bird dog the sources that have said our Offense was vanilla due to Geno's capabilities. Man he lit up the pro bowl! Those 3 interceptions were sweet, way to represent! lol
Nothing like throwing three interceptions in a flag football exhibition to showcase to teams one's real value.

bigcc

Reaction score
Ahh. I understand that.

I could’ve worded it better as I was off-topic a bit.

I’m referring to drafting a QB and what round they’ll do that in (if they do it).
Even if they don't draft their planned qb of the future, Id be pretty surprised if they don't draft a qb at *some* point.

Even if geno is here, we don't have a backup and with the cap problems I have a hard time believing they would keep both him and lock...... Not just from seahawks perspective, I think some team might give him more than the 4 he got last year, as dumb as I think that is lol.

After the 1st 6 QB's you go to the third tier which is like rattler/Pratt/Milton... Some further on from that.

Couple will rise and fall but these guys will all get drafted, ND qb and Jordan travis likely will too, I don't know after that.

So there are some decent late round picks, but they're significantly more likely to be in and out than even close to Purdy as an example

OP
OP
SNDavidson

SNDavidson

Reaction score
He's 34 this year dude hes not going to suddenly get better.

We know who and what geno is, and it's not changing.

We're getting a slightly above average QB, who is exponentially more likely to go downhill than suddenly blow up.
34 - 3 years of bench splinters, if I'm a team with a top 10 defense and ambition I'm listening personally..

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think the least likely option is cut in the next few days. I think they either keep him one more year or trade him in march. Will be interesting but I’ll trust them whatever they do

QWERTY

Reaction score
He gambled on himself and lost.

It's more of a cut and he has to take a paycut like 15mil. Or they would look at somewhere else like Lock.

WarHawks

Reaction score
It's Tuesday, and they haven't even officially announced their OC yet ( unless I missed it), so it doesn't seem likely they'll cut Geno by Friday.

Parallax

Reaction score
It's Tuesday, and they haven't even officially announced their OC yet ( unless I missed it), so it doesn't seem likely they'll cut Geno by Friday.
I don't think it matters. The decision isn't the OC's. It's Schneider's to make, though I'm sure he'll want Macdonald's and Grubb's input. They probably already know what they plan to do.

Hawknight

Reaction score
Maybe the OC is pondering another offer as he did with Alabama > I am the the new OC here in Alabama,..but nope...I am the new OC for the Seattle Seahawks..but wait there's more....I am now the OC of (fill in blank here) 🤪 :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score
Maybe the OC is pondering another offer as he did with Alabama > I am the the new OC here in OC,..but nope...I am the new OC for the Seattle Seahawks..but wait there's more....I am now the OC of (fill in blank here) 🤪 :ROFLMAO:
That's what I was wondering. If Grubb is a done deal, then why haven't they officially announced it? It would seem maybe he hasn't fully made up his mind, or they are considering other options, or....

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I also believe IF we retain Geno through this Friday, we can still cut him Post June 1 and save even more money. I believe I read that somewhere and/or heard it just recently. Any cap guru's out there who can verify this info? So, if we keep Geno and we draft someone who both MM and Grubbs both like, they can cut Geno if they feel comfortable with a QB (if they draft a QB that is, anything can happen).

Designating a player as a post-June 1 cut doesn't actually save any money. It just allows the remaining money from the contract that has not yet appeared on the team's salary cap (the "dead money," which is usually mostly or all prorated signing bonus) to be split between two seasons instead of it all falling on the upcoming season's cap.

There's something surprising that I learned recently because I still loathe the Broncos and was delighted that Russell Wilson's $37M 2025 salary becomes fully guaranteed if he's on their roster at the end of the fifth day of the new league year, which I believe is St. Patrick's Day (17th of March), because that meant they'd have to include the full $85M of "dead money" from his contract on the 2024 cap, because getting him off the roster by the 17th of March would mean he couldn't be a post-June 1 cut, and cutting him after June 1 would force them to give him $37M more (and account for it on their 2025 salary cap) for not playing for them. But it turns out NFL salary-cap rules allow Wilson to be in a bizarre "Schrödinger's-overpaid-quarterback" state where he's designated as being cut after the beginning of June and simultaneously not on the roster as of the 17th of March.

The relevance of this to the Seahawks and Geno Smith is that the Seahawks don't need to wait until later to designate Smith as a post-June 1 cut. And as others have noted, the amount of money that hits the cap will become larger if he's on the roster by the end of this Friday (16th of February), because at that point, his 2024 salary of $12.7M, of which none ($0) is currently guaranteed at all, becomes fully guaranteed.

Each team is allowed to designate up to two players per season as post-June 1 cuts. It's really clear that Jamal Adams should and will be one of them. There are two more years of prorated signing bonus (at about $10.417M per year) for which the Seahawks need to account on their salary cap. If the Seahawks cut Adams and don't designate him as a post-June 1 cut, the full $20,833,334 falls on the 2024 cap, and the total cap savings in 2024 amounts to just $6.083M. If they do designate him as a post-June 1 cut, then just half of the not-yet-accounted-for money from the signing bonus falls on the 2024 cap, with the other half hitting the 2025 cap, and the cap savings in 2024 comes to $16.5M.

If the Seahawks indeed want to move on from Smith, which I suspected they might not until I read that Macdonald had said they have some big decisions coming up real soon, I believe they can pull the same magic as the Broncos and have Smith simultaneously off the roster by the 16th of February, but considered as cut after the 1st of June.

I'm basing this on a bunch of articles that came out after Wilson was finally benched, talking about what the Broncos could do about their salary cap, given the ridiculous parameters of Wilson's contract. Those articles might have been wrong, and then my conclusions here would be too. But if they're right, the NFL really ought to change the name of what's currently called the post-June 1 designation.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
not sure I buy into the value of Geno as a mentor. I think a QB like Penix or Nix will come in with a higher football IQ out of the gate.

Latest posts