Geno Smith

mcbobly

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":g03wm098 said:
I'm don't want him as our backup QB . He will have to play magnificent the rest of the way to change my mind . I just don't think he's a good QB not even as a backup.
Exactly why none of the other teams kept him. Seattle often takes other teams rejects.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team seems still interested in Lynch but the next two preseason games will certainly make or break being kept as the backup, though the PS could still be a possibility. It won't help him that he's being held out b/c of that concussion. That was a dangerous and dirty hit.

To me Smith has shown me nothing however, he may show better in practice which I don't watch. I doubt he is kept, at least I hope not unless he actually shows something in next two games which is doubtful. Chad Kelly or another could be a direction the team could take after all they traded late for Brett Hundley last year.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's funny that the most irrelevant position on the team is a worry.
We could go into the season with Michael Dickson as our backup and it would end up being the same. If Wilson gets hurt we are screwed. Doesn't matter who we have back there.

There's not 32 good starting QB's in the league let alone any good backups. Smith will be fine in that position as will Lynch. But Lynch is really a scatter armed single read QB whose size and athleticism is the only reason he's hanging on at the moment. Smith is modestly less scatter armed but also limited in his reads. He also is getting by on prototypical size.

sutz

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2jhoaakz said:
We could go into the season with Michael Dickson as our backup and it would end up being the same. If Wilson gets hurt we are screwed. Doesn't matter who we have back there.

There's not 32 good starting QB's in the league let alone any good backups. Smith will be fine in that position as will Lynch. But Lynch is really a scatter armed single read QB whose size and athleticism is the only reason he's hanging on at the moment. Smith is modestly less scatter armed but also limited in his reads. He also is getting by on prototypical size.
Well, Geno has experience which is not nothing. But if they get down to needing a couple of hundred K at cutdown, he could be vulnerable to the rookie. Right now Lynch has one decent game and one not so decent one. We haven't seen Geno yet, but he at least has film. I doubt seriously that the team would dump both and bring in a backup QB with absolutely no time in the system.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2ms7b451 said:

It's true that the backup QB position is one of the more irrelevant position battles of the preseason. If Russell goes down, we're more than likely screwed no matter who the backup is. But it is one of the more visible contests, hence the discussion.

At this point, it's pretty hard to tell which guy has the edge. Smith has an advantage in experience but looked horrible in his only preseason appearance. Lynch looked equally bad in his 2nd appearance but looked very good in his first. One of the criteria will be how well they perform in practices, and of course, we're not privy to that information, at least not on a first hand basis. I wouldn't want to bet on either one of them winning the job.

jmahon316

Reaction score
Seafan":26aoxs58 said:
I'd like to see them claim Alex McGough and then sign Lynch to PS.

You think the Jags will risk sending him to the PS?