Geno Restructure?

bigcc

Reaction score
Smith's the guy until further notice .
So is every starter that isn't a free agent, nothing statement lol , as obviously there will be changes through fa/draft.

Latrell bumphus, Bellore, rhattigan are the guy at their respective positions on defense until further notice

Geno is 34 this year, it's worth SERIOUS consideration looking for his replacement, his ceiling was 2 years ago, he is literally only going to get worse moving forward unless grubb has some cheat codes

CactusJack

Reaction score
I don't see injury as the only risk with Penix. He's got perhaps the best arm of any guy in the draft this year but he's not particularly mobile, doesn't throw consistently well on the run and has had trouble on those occasions when his line couldn't protect him. He had several advantages at Washington. First, a line that usually allowed him plenty of time. Second, receivers who were often an order of magnitude better than the guys trying to cover them. Third, an offensive system designed around him, which won't be as possible at the next level.

What I like though is that, if he can be protected, his pocket presence has been great. His throws into the middle of the field weren't accurate. But his ability to throw deep, to layer throws between defenders, and to place the ball where only his guy could get it were all outstanding. Skills that should translate.

I'll leave it to Schneider and our scouts to decide whether to take him and, if so, where. I'd be surprised if he wasn't available at 16. I'd be surprised if he was available by the time our next pick rolled around. But I tend to think we could likely trade back a ways and still get him.
They're getting Penix in the middle to back half of Round 2 (trade).

You heard it here first. ;)

bigcc

Reaction score

I'd be ecstatic drafting him at 16, if they can get penix day 2 I'll start to concede that maybe Pete was holding John back and it wasn't equal fault between them.

Penix isn't going to fall that far though, I don't know if nix or Mccarthy will either.

Head physician of the rams and dodgers (well renowned orthopedist) has cleared penix's recent scans and said he'll go over it with any team that asks about him......

Penix is throwing at the combine which starts Thursday, his stock is going to skyrocket afterwards

Parallax

Reaction score
Even if we don't draft qbotf this draft, I really think we should still take a rookie to be backup if nothing else, and hope qbotf is there next year's draft.

That or vet min, there is literally no reason to give another 4 mil lock backup type deal, get a cheap qb room and use the literal several dozen millions to build around them. I like the idea of two rookies competing anyways.
I'd sure like to see what Grubb can do with Lock. There's a heck of a lot of talent there.

bigcc

Reaction score
I'd sure like to see what Grubb can do with Lock. There's a heck of a lot of talent there.
We've been through this so I won't go full anti-lock, but I'm curious what kind of contract you'd give lock.

Geno is almost certainly the guy this year minimum, so lock would need a multi year deal.

How much money/time would you give him? Give a lengthy deal and we're screwed if he doesn't pan out, give too short of one and we're back in the same situation...

Unless he's getting big money I sincerely doubt he'd sign a lengthy deal, where you have control of a drafted qb for 4 years minimum.

Lock pretty much has time for one, two at most long contracts left, so I'm curious what keeping lock would look like.

WarHawks

Reaction score
But don't pick a guy you consider a third round talent with pick 16. Don't be like San Francisco and trade away a haul to move up to take someone utterly untested. Be smart.
No one here is advocating doing that.

Last edited:

WarHawks

Reaction score

That would be incredible, considering lots of mocks have him going 10-20.

Last edited:

CactusJack

Reaction score
I'd be ecstatic drafting him at 16, if they can get penix day 2 I'll start to concede that maybe Pete was holding John back and it wasn't equal fault between them.

Penix isn't going to fall that far though, I don't know if nix or Mccarthy will either.

Head physician of the rams and dodgers (well renowned orthopedist) has cleared penix's recent scans and said he'll go over it with any team that asks about him......

Penix is throwing at the combine which starts Thursday, his stock is going to skyrocket afterwards
Penix is falling.

McCarthy, not so much. The rumor is that Sean Payton plans on taking him as high as 12. He could go higher.

Parallax

Reaction score
We've been through this so I won't go full anti-lock, but I'm curious what kind of contract you'd give lock.

Geno is almost certainly the guy this year minimum, so lock would need a multi year deal.

How much money/time would you give him? Give a lengthy deal and we're screwed if he doesn't pan out, give too short of one and we're back in the same situation...

Unless he's getting big money I sincerely doubt he'd sign a lengthy deal, where you have control of a drafted qb for 4 years minimum.

Lock pretty much has time for one, two at most long contracts left, so I'm curious what keeping lock would look like.
Ideally, we'd sign him to the same contract he had last year. A one year, 3 to 4 million dollar deal. If another team thinks he's good enough to start, maybe he leaves and we can't stop it. But I don't think anyone is going to hand him the starting job.

We have history of letting Wilson start over an expensive Flynn on the roster. So hopefully there will be a wide-open competition. There's really no reason a cheap Lock couldn't start over an expensive Smith. Maybe someone loses a QB last minutes like the Jets did last year and we trade Geno for a 2025 2nd. Can't imagine getting more than that, but teams can get desperate.

Jville

Reaction score
Smith's the guy until further notice .

Yeah at $26,400,000, Geno's 2024 cost fits. He gives the team field experience and continuity. By all accounts he is still hungry. We'll see how the coaching staff decides to roll soon enough.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
Yeah at $26,400,000, Geno's 2024 cost fits. He gives the team field experience and continuity. By all accounts he is still hungry. We'll see how the coaching staff decides to roll soon enough.
Yeah it would have been soooo hard to replace his number of games started and absolutely no continuity in a brand new offense with someone much cheaper, AND that is completely ignoring the extra cap hit they created for NEXT year that you conveniently failed to mention. JS might have been the issue but I will wait and see.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Yeah it would have been soooo hard to replace his number of games started and absolutely no continuity in a brand new offense with someone much cheaper, AND that is completely ignoring the extra cap hit they created for NEXT year that you conveniently failed to mention. JS might have been the issue but I will wait and see.
Amazing. You get what you want in the Pete firing and now you have to move onto the next thing to be a militant about. Can't even let the new staff have time to cook. Less than a month into their tenure and the handwringing is already here.

bigcc

Reaction score
Penix is falling.

McCarthy, not so much. The rumor is that Sean Payton plans on taking him as high as 12. He could go higher.
Good, I don't want Mccarthy anyways, and penix will pick back up after teams watch him throw

xray

Reaction score
Are there any rumors of JS bringing in another QB ? No ? Then Smiths the guy . Deal with it . :)

Latest posts