Geno Restructure?

bigcc

Reaction score
I kind of see it the same way. This seems like the year to get a guy. I guess they still could?
While I would rather have a rookie qb get as much experience early as possible, sitting ONE year wouldn't be the end of the world (as long as it's not a jordan love situation lol)..

Even as qb 2 there's a good chance they'd still get some real experience, geno is going to be 34 and 17 games is a long time to stay healthy

GemCity

Reaction score
I’ll believe we’re drafting a QB if we don’t re-sign Drew Lock. Yes, even with Lick onboard, there’s a chance we still pick one up.

But….watch this place implode if we don’t.

bigcc

Reaction score
I’ll believe we’re drafting a QB if we don’t re-sign Drew Lock. Yes, even with Lick onboard, there’s a chance we still pick one up.

But….watch this place implode if we don’t.
I've been banging my fist for a long time to take a QB, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we go IOL or trade down.

I could definitely see them wanting to take a QB next year given geno's situation.

GemCity

Reaction score
I've been banging my fist for a long time to take a QB, but I really wouldn't be surprised if we go IOL or trade down.

I could definitely see them wanting to take a QB next year given geno's situation.
I’ve been waiting too and also do not think we can get “there” with Geno.

But, if I were GM, I would not be prioritizing QB right now.

Geno’s deal is team friendly. Build the trenches up. Maybe grab a guy to sit/learn as I think Geno would be a good QB for a rook to learn from. His game is methodical. He usually doesn’t pull the ‘crazy shit’ out of his hat.

Imagine sitting behind Russ and hearing something like “…so, when he got close, I juked and jived to the left, then right, then 360 spin and yah…took the sack but…”

Don’t get me wrong…you need the crazy stuff once in a while to be successful.

Geno’s game is fundamentally ‘sound’ and could surely benefit a youngster.

I can see us grabbing a guy under the radar…5th round or so. That sounds demoralizing to most…I just hope JS is working some QB whisperer magic and pulls one out of his hat.

We’re not necessarily in a bad spot QB wise. But it’s going to have to happen, at some point, for this team to push further ahead. I just don’t think ‘24 will be the year…

bigcc

Reaction score
I’ve been waiting too and also do not think we can get “there” with Geno.

But, if I were GM, I would not be prioritizing QB right now.

Geno’s deal is team friendly. Build the trenches up. Maybe grab a guy to sit/learn as I think Geno would be a good QB for a rook to learn from. His game is methodical. He usually doesn’t pull the ‘crazy shit’ out of his hat.

Imagine sitting behind Russ and hearing something like “…so, when he got close, I juked and jived to the left, then right, then 360 spin and yah…took the sack but…”

Don’t get me wrong…you need the crazy stuff once in a while to be successful.

Geno’s game is fundamentally ‘sound’ and could surely benefit a youngster.

I can see us grabbing a guy under the radar…5th round or so. That sounds demoralizing to most…I just hope JS is working some QB whisperer magic and pulls one out of his hat.

We’re not necessarily in a bad spot QB wise. But it’s going to have to happen, at some point, for this team to push further ahead. I just don’t think ‘24 will be the year…
I'm not opposed to drafting a qb late to be qb2

Worst case scenario we have a cheap backup, we do NOT have the cap to remotely justify signing lock for anything more than vet minimum

In 2 years I'm hopeful that the seahawks qb room is entirely rookie contracts, it's such a boon to have QB's playing for nickels. HARD pass on another 4 mil for lock, let him go and add to comp calculations if the qb he's backing up gets hurt

WarHawks

Reaction score
I also heard they are signing an assistant coach who worked with Jayden Daniels, which makes one wonder if there's a trade brewing with the Commanders.

Parallax

Reaction score
I also heard they are signing an assistant coach who worked with Jayden Daniels, which makes one wonder if there's a trade brewing with the Commanders.
The cost to trade up would be high, likely requiring future draft capital. Wouldn't want Schneider to do it unless he was sure Daniels is something special. Usually teams are successful when they let the draft come to them. Examples for us would be the two best players on our team -- Witherspoon and Metcalf. Same thing with Russ. It's important to pay attention to value because every pick involves risk.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
The cost to trade up would be high, likely requiring future draft capital. Wouldn't want Schneider to do it unless he was sure Daniels is something special. Usually teams are successful when they let the draft come to them. Examples for us would be the two best players on our team -- Witherspoon and Metcalf. Same thing with Russ. It's important to pay attention to value because every pick involves risk.
Counterpoint:

Mahomes completed his surprising ascent in the NFL draft Thursday when the Kansas City Chiefs selected the former Texas Tech quarterback 10th overall. The second of only three quarterbacks chosen in the first round — North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky went second overall to the Chicago Bears, and Clemson standout Deshaun Watson went 12th to the Houston Texans — Mahomes wound up with the Chiefs after they paid a steep price to move up the board for the rawest high-profile player available at the position.
….
During the opening round of the three-day draft in Philadelphia, Kansas City swapped positions with the Buffalo Bills, moving from 27th to 10th. To persuade the Bills to make the deal, the Chiefs also gave up their pick in the third round (91st overall) and a 2018 first-rounder. Obviously, Kansas City coach Andy Reid liked what he saw in Mahomes and didn’t want to risk losing him. Based on the chatter around the league the past few weeks, Reid had reason to be concerned.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Counterpoint:

Mahomes completed his surprising ascent in the NFL draft Thursday when the Kansas City Chiefs selected the former Texas Tech quarterback 10th overall. The second of only three quarterbacks chosen in the first round — North Carolina’s Mitchell Trubisky went second overall to the Chicago Bears, and Clemson standout Deshaun Watson went 12th to the Houston Texans — Mahomes wound up with the Chiefs after they paid a steep price to move up the board for the rawest high-profile player available at the position.
….
During the opening round of the three-day draft in Philadelphia, Kansas City swapped positions with the Buffalo Bills, moving from 27th to 10th. To persuade the Bills to make the deal, the Chiefs also gave up their pick in the third round (91st overall) and a 2018 first-rounder. Obviously, Kansas City coach Andy Reid liked what he saw in Mahomes and didn’t want to risk losing him. Based on the chatter around the league the past few weeks, Reid had reason to be concerned.
It's not really a counterpoint. The post you responded to included this: "Wouldn't want Schneider to do it unless he was sure Daniels is something special." Reid thought Mahomes was something special... as did Schneider, if reports are to be believed. Parallax said that we're usually better off if we let the draft come to us, and that's true. But if I read his post correctly, he's not opposed to trading up if Schneider is convinced the target is worthy.

bigcc

Reaction score
Lol "likely requiring future capital."

Bro, trading literally our entire draft wouldn't be enough to move up to 2, according to any draft chart.

I'd take maye and Caleb first anyways, but we're not trading up that high lol.... If one of them slips to like 8 maybe, but I really don't see us trading up

Parallax

Reaction score
It's not really a counterpoint. The post you responded to included this: "Wouldn't want Schneider to do it unless he was sure Daniels is something special." Reid thought Mahomes was something special... as did Schneider, if reports are to be believed. Parallax said that we're usually better off if we let the draft come to us, and that's true. But if I read his post correctly, he's not opposed to trading up if Schneider is convinced the target is worthy.
You did, BlueTalon. That's exactly what I was trying to say. We moved up for Metcalf. It just has to make sense and a GM has to be pretty darn sure he's right because his job is on the line. It's risky no matter what, though, because quarterbacks are so hard to project.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Every draft pick is a risk. All of them. You're not going to get a top flight qbotf without giving up something significant in return, whether it's a 4 win losing season, or lots of future draft capital. It's either that, or keep settling for late round projects with little chance of success (the hit rate after the 12th pick falls off a cliff), or low ceiling vets like Geno.

bigcc

Reaction score
Every draft pick is a risk. All of them. You're not going to get a top flight qbotf without giving up something significant in return, whether it's a 4 win losing season, or lots of future draft capital. It's either that, or keep settling for late round projects with little chance of success (the hit rate after the 12th pick falls off a cliff), or low ceiling vets like Geno.
Penix would have been a top 10 pick most seasons (literally, go look at the top QB's last few seasons), and will likely be available at 16.

We hired his OC who has absolute control of the offense.

Geno is old, we need a qbotf, I don't know how you could construct a better landing spot for everyone involved.

Injury history is the only real concern, and even then he didn't miss a snap in the last 28 games.

If he's there he's the pick, he didn't stack numbers like jayden did against jv tier teams

Parallax

Reaction score
Every pick is a risk. My point is, as with any kind of gambling, you've got to do your best to minimize the risk and maximize the chance of hitting big. That's done through really skilled scouting and waiting for the draft to come to you. In other words, don't just flail away but wait for the right pitch. If you've got a QB at or near the top of your board, great. But don't pick a guy you consider a third round talent with pick 16. Don't be like San Francisco and trade away a haul to move up to take someone utterly untested. Be smart.

My guess is it will be too expensive to get any of the top three (Williams, Maye and Daniels -- sounds like a law firm). Maybe Schneider and our scouts think one of the next three (Penix, McCarthy and Nix) is worthy of pick 16, fine. But if not, go with another position of need or trade back. I'd be thrilled with any of those three in the third. Rattler's a guy I could see potentially developing into a franchise QB but, for him, I'd be very skeptical of his selection before round three.

Since a lot of teams have QB need, we'll have to see how things play out.

Parallax

Reaction score
Penix would have been a top 10 pick most seasons (literally, go look at the top QB's last few seasons), and will likely be available at 16.

We hired his OC who has absolute control of the offense.

Geno is old, we need a qbotf, I don't know how you could construct a better landing spot for everyone involved.

Injury history is the only real concern, and even then he didn't miss a snap in the last 28 games.

If he's there he's the pick, he didn't stack numbers like jayden did against jv tier teams
I don't see injury as the only risk with Penix. He's got perhaps the best arm of any guy in the draft this year but he's not particularly mobile, doesn't throw consistently well on the run and has had trouble on those occasions when his line couldn't protect him. He had several advantages at Washington. First, a line that usually allowed him plenty of time. Second, receivers who were often an order of magnitude better than the guys trying to cover them. Third, an offensive system designed around him, which won't be as possible at the next level.

What I like though is that, if he can be protected, his pocket presence has been great. His throws into the middle of the field weren't accurate. But his ability to throw deep, to layer throws between defenders, and to place the ball where only his guy could get it were all outstanding. Skills that should translate.

I'll leave it to Schneider and our scouts to decide whether to take him and, if so, where. I'd be surprised if he wasn't available at 16. I'd be surprised if he was available by the time our next pick rolled around. But I tend to think we could likely trade back a ways and still get him.

xray

Reaction score
So , the scuttlebut says no QB drafted this year ?

bigcc

Reaction score
Every pick is a risk. My point is, as with any kind of gambling, you've got to do your best to minimize the risk and maximize the chance of hitting big. That's done through really skilled scouting and waiting for the draft to come to you. In other words, don't just flail away but wait for the right pitch. If you've got a QB at or near the top of your board, great. But don't pick a guy you consider a third round talent with pick 16. Don't be like San Francisco and trade away a haul to move up to take someone utterly untested. Be smart.

My guess is it will be too expensive to get any of the top three (Williams, Maye and Daniels -- sounds like a law firm). Maybe Schneider and our scouts think one of the next three (Penix, McCarthy and Nix) is worthy of pick 16, fine. But if not, go with another position of need or trade back. I'd be thrilled with any of those three in the third. Rattler's a guy I could see potentially developing into a franchise QB but, for him, I'd be very skeptical of his selection before round three.

Since a lot of teams have QB need, we'll have to see how things play out.
Even if we don't draft qbotf this draft, I really think we should still take a rookie to be backup if nothing else, and hope qbotf is there next year's draft.

That or vet min, there is literally no reason to give another 4 mil lock backup type deal, get a cheap qb room and use the literal several dozen millions to build around them. I like the idea of two rookies competing anyways.

Latest posts