Geno extension...???

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Take a long look at how many points were scored against the Lions this year.

PHI L 38-35

WSH W 36-27

MIN L 28-24

SEA L 48-45

EXACTLY!!! That shows that while the Lions' defense is clearly very bad, the Seahawks' offense did much better against it than any of the Lions' other opponents have so far this season.
The Commanders are bad, but they have a QB with a cap hit of $28.3M this year, and they put up 396 yards of total offense and 27 points on the Lions.
The Vikings are in first place in their division, are considered a serious playoff contender, and have a QB who's costing $31.4M on the cap this year, and they put up 373 yards and 28 points on the Lions.
The Eagles have been the best team in the NFC so far, and they have a QB on a rookie contract who's been in the early-season talk about the MVP award. They put up 455 yards and 38 points (including a defensive TD) on the Lions.

The Seahawks, with Geno Smith at QB, put up 555 yards and 48 points (including a defensive TD) against the Lions. That is, the Seahawks' offense, led by Geno Smith, put up a full hundred yards and ten points more than the offense of the best team in the NFC. 555 yards and 48 points is a great day for any NFL offense against any NFL defense.

HawkinNY

Reaction score
QWERTY brought up a scenario in another thread that seems like maybe it shouldn't be buried....

Soooo.... interesting scenario, if even just to ponder.

What if, the Seahawks end up in the playoffs? Say... maybe a 9-8 record and get a wildcard spot. They play valiantly on the road and lose in the first round.

In this scenario, for the fun of argument and not prediction:
Is Geno worth an extension of $10 million guaranteed, up to 15 with incentives?
Is he worth $15 guaranteed up to 20 with incentives?
more? ... less?

... and would that change the expectation of bringing in a FA and drafting a rookie for a 3-way competition in the off-season? ...and when should JS start negotiations to extend? Should he be extended during the season, but after ....say... 8 or 9 wins?

Geno's on a 1 yr contract with total cap hit of 3.5million so he'll be a FA at the end of the season unless extended before. His value to a different organization might also be a factor if not extended before he fully becomes a FA. Franchise tag is just under 30million for QB.
I think they should sign him to a 3-4 year contract. Draft a QB if the right one comes along and let him sit or compete for the starting job.

Not sure how much per year for smith. Depends on if other teams offer him big money. Then let him walk.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Ok fair enough. Assuming he plays lights out the whole year then I would offer something and still attempt to grab one of the big 3-4 with my early capitol in the draft. One year isn't enough to convince me hes the answer for years moving forward but it buys me time with a young guy like Stroud, Young, Leavis, Richardson or whoever as well and some insurance.

willyrobt

Reaction score
I would extend him as a backup QB. If he gets us to a playoff he could train a new QB if we drafted one.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
If he keeps playing like this and you pay him late/after the season you're probably looking at something like Tannehill type of numbers. That's $25 mil+ cap hits on average.

Or you do it sooner when he's cheaper and incur the risk of what's probably still a decently large cap hit on a dude with a whole lot of less than stellar history who has been on a streak for four games.

Either way, good luck NFL GMs. Hard job.

I would extend him as a backup QB. If he gets us to a playoff he could train a new QB if we drafted one.
If he plays that well he's going to get paid to be a starter next year somewhere.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
The guy has done great but it’s really only based on one game when you get down to the brass taxes.
Brass Taxes LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! You mean Brass Knuckles??? NO ?? (lololol) I think what you meant to say was "Brass Rings" lolololol cuz I know you didn;t really mean to say "Brass Tacks".....ok I'll shut up now, What do you mean THANK GOD?

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Brass Taxes LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! You mean Brass Knuckles??? NO ?? (lololol) I think what you meant to say was "Brass Rings" lolololol cuz I know you didn;t really mean to say "Brass Tacks".....ok I'll shut up now, What do you mean THANK GOD?
A simple mis quote.

What a vuckin a$$hole you are!!!!!!!!!

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
An attack on a post from nearly 6 months ago. Fishing much? Seems a bit personal to me. I'm sure I could go thru the posts of this idiot and find many things that have been posted wrong or with grammatical errors.

Grow up.

GemCity

Reaction score
An attack on a post from nearly 6 months ago. Fishing much? Seems a bit personal to me. I'm sure I could go thru the posts of this idiot and find many things that have been posted wrong or with grammatical errors.

Grow up.
Happens to all of us. I lived in shame for my “Do you really want him gone” Russ post.

So much shame that, I created another account just to troll myself. 🫣. Dems just jokes but…yah. Just words bro.

Don’t let it get to you bruddha!