Geno extension...???

chrispy

Reaction score
QWERTY brought up a scenario in another thread that seems like maybe it shouldn't be buried....

If Geno starts winning and brings Seattle to the playoffs, it would hurt this organization if they don’t extend him.
Soooo.... interesting scenario, if even just to ponder.

What if, the Seahawks end up in the playoffs? Say... maybe a 9-8 record and get a wildcard spot. They play valiantly on the road and lose in the first round.

In this scenario, for the fun of argument and not prediction:
Is Geno worth an extension of $10 million guaranteed, up to 15 with incentives?
Is he worth $15 guaranteed up to 20 with incentives?
more? ... less?

... and would that change the expectation of bringing in a FA and drafting a rookie for a 3-way competition in the off-season? ...and when should JS start negotiations to extend? Should he be extended during the season, but after ....say... 8 or 9 wins?

Geno's on a 1 yr contract with total cap hit of 3.5million so he'll be a FA at the end of the season unless extended before. His value to a different organization might also be a factor if not extended before he fully becomes a FA. Franchise tag is just under 30million for QB.

sutz

Reaction score
NO.
WAY too early to be thinking in those terms. Yet
Agreed. I'd wait til the off-season at least. Wouldn't necessarily preclude drafting a rookie QB, either, even one of those sexy first rounders. ;)

Just need an honest discussion about it when the time comes.

Last edited:

chris98251

Reaction score
I would wait till game 10, if he continues his trend the gamble will be worth it, drafted QB's are like going to a nightclub and picking someone up in dark lighting and hoping they look just as good in the morning, you may want to chew your own arm off versus the girl you know but are comfortable with.

He has had light duty for a while so years are ok his body is fresh. we could get a lot of miles out of him while we look for a guy to actually develop in the draft for a change.

With Geno's play I don't see Lock here next year.

If we don't sign him the Broncos may pick him up to replace the broken Diva.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Ya'll are jumping way to quickly. He's played four games this season, we need to see a season out of him before we commit money to Geno. He's looking good but the NFL is a marathon not a sprint.

Torc

Reaction score
I'd never suggest a contract negotiation during the season, for any player. But if he leads the team to the playoffs? Heck yes, I'd sign him. He'd deserve it. And while it's certainly a business, I would think there's a good chance Geno would have some loyalty to the coach who has believed in him for a few years - at least enough loyalty to give the Seahawks a chance to keep him and not just jump ship at the first offer that comes.

And I'd still keep an eye on QBs in the draft, because I think it's idiotic not to have a legit backup being groomed for starting. Today's diva QBs get their nose out of joint, but teams need a decent second starter. And those QBs can become good trade fodder - Holmgren used to get draft picks as trades for his QBs with the Packers. Hasslebeck and Mark Brunell are the two most obvious that come to mind.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Lol 15 million the way he playing is ultra low. Would you be cool with making $15 an hour while the people in you position are making $25-$50 an hour?

Yes, sign him to an extension. I don't know the game plan they are using with him, but clearly its working in the system.

I can see a Rodgers deal where the rookie sits for a year or so and comes out slinging.

You just don't pull a guy who is rocking like this. As mentioned, its to early in the season because we need to see how he does agaisnt tough defences. But I think he will be fine.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I'd never suggest a contract negotiation during the season, for any player. But if he leads the team to the playoffs? Heck yes, I'd sign him. He'd deserve it. And while it's certainly a business, I would think there's a good chance Geno would have some loyalty to the coach who has believed in him for a few years - at least enough loyalty to give the Seahawks a chance to keep him and not just jump ship at the first offer that comes.

And I'd still keep an eye on QBs in the draft, because I think it's idiotic not to have a legit backup being groomed for starting. Today's diva QBs get their nose out of joint, but teams need a decent second starter. And those QBs can become good trade fodder - Holmgren used to get draft picks as trades for his QBs with the Packers. Hasslebeck and Mark Brunell are the two most obvious that come to mind.
This. I agree. Even if we make/do better than expected in the run in and to the playoffs -

There's nothing wrong with grabbing someone in the draft. Let them compete - that's what it's about, isn't it? We still need a decent backup even if Geno is the starter.

Love love love the way Geno is playing - but I think the sample size needs to be at LEAST 8 games before he's crowned our permanent guy, doesn't it? Particularly with a contract.

And, the organization needs to protect itself from injuries et all. Shit happens.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Extending Geno comes down to 2 things, price and attitude. IMO, Geno isn't our future, so we need to invest in a quarterback that will be our guy for many years to come. If we wanted to extend him to a reasonable contract that would allow us to still keep good cap space to sign other positions, then I'd be ok with it, but if he wanted serious starters money, then I'd let him go to see what the market can bring him and wish him the best of luck.

The second thing, is attitude, and it kind of goes along with number 1. Would he be ok with staying here as we look to bring in a replacement guy for our future? Would he want to be anointed the starter?

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Obviously. THIS team with THIS defense? That would be quite an accomplishment to make the playoffs.
This team and the defense from last week won't be this team with the same defense or offense for that matter at the end of the season. Could the defense be worse than last week? Well it seems that would be difficult to do but maybe. I expect improvement over the season. Just take out that 80+ yard debacle courtesy of Barton and things probably look different.

If Barton continues not tackling then I don't expect him being relied on at the end of the season.

How amazing is it that the Seahawks gave up 45 points on the road and still won the game. How could we not be optimistic? (Rhetorical question no answer necessary).

Geno has done everything asked of him four games in, and he has truly done it at a very high level.

If Geno continues his high level of play, then I would think it would be smart of the team to lock him in to a team-friendly deal prior to the end of the season. Maybe Geno is looking for the moon, which I cannot say would be my preferred choice, but I trust Pete and John and will be fine with whatever decision they come to.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Ya'll are jumping way to quickly. He's played four games this season, we need to see a season out of him before we commit money to Geno. He's looking good but the NFL is a marathon not a sprint.
I must have missed where someone claimed to give Geno a fat check after four games. Can you explain the relevancy of your statement? It's as if you agree with many, but state it as if those you actually agree with are wrong. Strange?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
No one is jumping. He's not saying "extend Geno Smith right now."

A scenario is laid out that asks what you'd do at the end of the season in said scenario. Nothing more, nothing less.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how when I said it was a possibility that I was worried about, I was basically told I'm crazy. IF he keeps winning, it absolutely is a possibility.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
The guy has done great but it’s really only based on one game when you get down to the brass taxes.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I must have missed where someone claimed to give Geno a fat check after four games. Can you explain the relevancy of your statement? It's as if you agree with many, but state it as if those you actually agree with are wrong. Strange?
There is literally people in here arguing that we should sign him before the season is over.