Geno’s Back

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
We really don’t know what Geno can do in whatever our new offense is.

Don’t get me wrong people, I think we need a QBotF. But…how? Take the 5th ranked guy at 16?

When you have as many holes as we do, you don’t go and replace a guy that is in the middle of the pack (eye test) or in the top 1/3 (stats) before you shore up other things.

While Geno doesn’t give one the confidence that other, more ‘dynamic’ QBs around the league do, he’s certainly not THE problem.

I’m really warming up to trying to take a lower projected QB in the mid-rounds though…sit a guy behind Geno for a bit, see what happens competitively between the two as time progresses.

Personally, I’d like to see DE, DT, or Safety at that 16th pick. It seems that year after year, we’re always hurting at DE (Nwosu can ball though). If we resign Williams, another good/ great DT would wreck havoc up front. Hell…even if we don’t re-sign Williams (which we absolutely should), another DT would be great. JA and Diggs? Don’t get me started….

I don’t see QB at 16 guys….this will sound like a complete cop-out but if we do grab one there or move up, I’ll have complete faith that MM and JS grabbed us a baller.

I still stand by the opinion that we have much greater needs than QB atm…

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That's the problem. Why do we need ANY help for 2024 season? If we do it your way we are sacrificing a strong rebuild for some short term success ending where we have ended for years. If we play the same stupid games we will get the same stupid results.
I don't know why some people are so horny for the prospect of turning into the Cardinals, but this is how we could turn into the Cardinals.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Yes, the Geno apologists are out in force. Geno was great last year ONLY because he lost enough games to get PC fired. Gold star for him. Geno cannot get us to be a super bowl contender but some only care about next year. Short termers is what got us the last 6 years of PC BS
Knowing Geno is a better option than anyone off the FA market, INCLUDING LOCK, and wanting him here while we develop a long term solution at QB through the draft, DOES NOT MAKE SOMEONE A GENO APOLOGIST. This is the consistent short-sighted attitude knee-jerk reactionaries like you take. You act like someone who still wants Geno around think he's a long term solution. No one, NO ONE, who wants Geno here believes he's the answer, with complete consistency. The Chiefs kept Alex Smith while they developed Mahomes. A good mentor is extremely undervalued in this league.

Last edited:

Ozzy

Reaction score

Couldnt agree more.

He was 8th overall last year and 13th this year playing behind a horrible o line, with no run game and no defense.

Yet HE is the one who can't get us to where we want to go?

We haven't even seen what he can do with competent support on defense, on the ground, and up front.

But we do know for a fact that with little help in those areas he's 13th best in the league.

yet HE is the problem to some... or certainly NOT capable of playing a Brock Purdy role?

Gonna have to splain that one to me again.

You're not seeing the big picture. He's going to be 34. Are we close enough to win a SB next year? the year after? When he's 36?

I also have a hard time with saying he's 13th because PFF said he was as if it's an objectifiable fact. A look at the advanced metrics have him anywhere from 12th-18th and that's with a couple of guys hurt.

At this stage is he capable of a 113 rating and MVP type numbers? I don't think he is. You say "we don't know what he's capable of with a competent defense, running game and a good line. You don't have a second round pick and your cap situation isn't ideal.....how are you going to fix all those issues in one off season?

He's a good QB and I can understand if they want to keep him another year but Macdonald has a 6 year contract and has to think about the future as well and Geno isn't playing into his 40's at an elite level.

You're also framing people's argument in the extreme in order to make them appear stupid. I don't think most on here are saying he is THE PROBLEM. They are saying that thinking long term it's probably best to get your guy of the future.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Defense Bottom 5 YPC
Defense Bottom 2 Yds
Defense Bottom 2 Rushing TDs
Defense Bottom 11 Passing Yards
Defense Bottom 10 QB Rate
Defense Bottom 8 1st%
Defense Bottom 8 CMP%
Defense Bottom 10 Yds/Att

Offense Bottom 10 in:
Rush yards

You guys are just wrong. Geno isn't the problem. He never has been.
Why do people keep saying this? Almost no one is saying he is THE problem. Most are saying he's a good QB but at 34 you need to start thinking about the long term option at the position. I'm good if they keep Geno another year and I can see the argument for it. I don't think you pass on an elite talent for a guy who's probably middle of the pack at the position and 34 years old. Not sure why this debate(hell almost any debate these days) is so either/or.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Patriots
Falcons
Broncos
Raiders

I would say those teams need one the most but

Bears
Commanders
Giants
Titans
Saints

I could also see drafting one depending on what happens
Good list. The Steelers, Rams, Vikings, and Dolphins shouldnt be ruled out at this moment, either.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Why do people keep saying this? Almost no one is saying he is THE problem. Most are saying he's a good QB but at 34 you need to start thinking about the long term option at the position. I'm good if they keep Geno another year and I can see the argument for it. I don't think you pass on an elite talent for a guy who's probably middle of the pack at the position and 34 years old. Not sure why this debate(hell almost any debate these days) is so either/or.
Why do we have to have a long term option? What good does that do us next year? This team wasn't 3-14. It was 9-8 with a BAD defense.

The absolute obsession with QBOTF ignores that we have an offense that is playoff-ready.

OP
OP
GemCity

GemCity

Reaction score
You're not seeing the big picture. He's going to be 34. Are we close enough to win a SB next year? the year after? When he's 36?

I also have a hard time with saying he's 13th because PFF said he was as if it's an objectifiable fact. A look at the advanced metrics have him anywhere from 12th-18th and that's with a couple of guys hurt.

At this stage is he capable of a 113 rating and MVP type numbers? I don't think he is. You say "we don't know what he's capable of with a competent defense, running game and a good line. You don't have a second round pick and your cap situation isn't ideal.....how are you going to fix all those issues in one off season?

He's a good QB and I can understand if they want to keep him another year but Macdonald has a 6 year contract and has to think about the future as well and Geno isn't playing into his 40's at an elite level.

You're also framing people's argument in the extreme in order to make them appear stupid. I don't think most on here are saying he is THE PROBLEM. They are saying that thinking long term it's probably best to get your guy of the future.
I agree with a ton of what you’re saying PNW. Actually, all of it.

I’m having trouble picturing us using the 16th pick on a 4th, or even 5th, projected rank guy.

But… projections are guesswork as well.

This is the craziest offseason…ever.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Why do we have to have a long term option? What good does that do us next year? This team wasn't 3-14. It was 9-8 with a BAD defense.

The absolute obsession with QBOTF ignores that we have an offense that is playoff-ready.
Because its literally impossible to have last years team back intact.

Pete mortgaged the future and the ballon payment is coming due. By the time we’re set right financially Geno will be a non factor.

Yes, he’s an asset with value, but not one that represents a good value to the Seahawks. Hopefully he’s flipped for draft pick(s) and it creates a win-win-win for us, Geno, and his next team.

knownone

Reaction score
Are we really evaluating QBs based on their perceived ability to make and win a Super Bowl? How long is that list?

Geno's 33, with minimal mileage, in an era where QBs can play deep into their 30s. He has a skill set that should age reasonably well. It's not like he will suddenly fall off a cliff before his contract runs out.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

I think he can probably get closer to a 113 passer rating than many would ever guess, but only in very ideal circumstances.

I think he can get back over 100 with only modest improvements in supporting cast (not weapons, just OL/rushing more/improvement on defense).

His process has improved so much. He's got ideal pocket presence, reacts well when pressured, and is a highly accurate passer to most segments of the field. He has the harder things under control.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I think he can probably get closer to a 113 passer rating than many would ever guess, but only in very ideal circumstances.

I think he can get back over 100 with only modest improvements in supporting cast (not weapons, just OL/rushing more/improvement on defense).

His process has improved so much. He's got ideal pocket presence, reacts well when pressured, and is a highly accurate passer to most segments of the field. He has the harder things under control.
That’s entirely possible. I’d still argue though that they probably need to get their next guy by next year at the latest.

Rat

Reaction score
Geno's 33, with minimal mileage, in an era where QBs can play deep into their 30s.
This gets way overstated. Even at 33, only two QBs older than Geno finished this season in the top 20 in passing yards: 35-year-old Matthew Stafford was 11th and 35-year-old Russell Wilson was 19th.

The year prior, there were four players 35 or older in that top 20. One is Tom Brady (3rd), who is such an outlier that he shouldn't be used as an example for anything, another is Aaron Rodgers (11th) a future first-ballot HOFer, and the other two were 37-year-old Matt Ryan (17th) and 35-year-old Andy Dalton (19th) who both looked horrifically past their prime.

12forlife

Reaction score
Patriots
Falcons
Broncos
Raiders

I would say those teams need one the most but

Bears
Commanders
Giants
Titans
Saints

I could also see drafting one depending on what happens
Don't forget the Vikings & Rams. Rams are sneaky like that and may look to grab Stafford's replacement if one fell to them?

Cyrus12

Reaction score
People are saying it though...like everything gets magically solved getting Penix or even worse a furthet reach in the draft

Ozzy

Reaction score

We were also two chip shot field goals away from being 8-9, the cap situation is much worse, we mortgaged away high end draft stock for this year and Geno is a year older. I’m torn though because on some levels I don’t think you’re wrong. Geno did finish the year on a high note which is encouraging. I don’t know.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score

Couldnt agree more.

He was 8th overall last year and 13th this year playing behind a horrible o line, with no run game and no defense.

Yet HE is the one who can't get us to where we want to go?

We haven't even seen what he can do with competent support on defense, on the ground, and up front.

But we do know for a fact that with little help in those areas he's 13th best in the league.

yet HE is the problem to some... or certainly NOT capable of playing a Brock Purdy role?

Gonna have to splain that one to me again.

13th isn't close to first though. I think the biggest fear is not taking risks and being stuck in mediocrity. Mediocrity is the worst spot to be in the NFL. If we stink we at least we get a good draft pick.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Don't forget the Vikings & Rams. Rams are sneaky like that and may look to grab Stafford's replacement if one fell to them?

Right, I was just responding to the first guy who asked about teams ahead of us who need a QB

knownone

Reaction score
This gets way overstated. Even at 33, only two QBs older than Geno finished this season in the top 20 in passing yards: 35-year-old Matthew Stafford was 11th and 35-year-old Russell Wilson was 19th.

The year prior, there were four players 35 or older in that top 20. One is Tom Brady (3rd), who is such an outlier that he shouldn't be used as an example for anything, another is Aaron Rodgers (11th) a future first-ballot HOFer, and the other two were 37-year-old Matt Ryan (17th) and 35-year-old Andy Dalton (19th) who both looked horrifically past their prime.
No, it doesn't. You just took what I wrote out of context. Geno won't even be 35 until midway through the 2025 season. The final year of his contract. Hence, "It's not like he will suddenly fall off a cliff before his contract runs out."