Free Agents -- 2023 -- What say you?

balakoth

Reaction score
The top 15 free agents coming up... Aside from Judge and Nimmo (who is probably fringe on that line of even being in the convo? Simply because he is an OF); are pitchers or SHORTSTOPS... do any of them project to want or have played 2nd base? Would JP switch? What are our real options in the first tier.. My feeling is nothing. 9 years for 370 id give to judge to let him play any corner lol.. But outside of that?

What are some better tier 2 prospects you more scouty folk can suggest? Frazier sucked all year pretty much.. nice d... and then actually started hitting in the playoffs... Do we chance he turns it around? We still need more power where does it come from?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sweet dreams, ,but it's highly unlikely M's are going to dish out 80 million on 3 players It would have been nice had we goine after a couple players last year.. Seager, Story, never the less, it shall be an interesting off season.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Of course it's easier said than done. But, this team has proven they are on the brink of being damn good, and they are willing to spend money.

sutz

Reaction score
The team has shown a willingness to "go big" on FA players in a selective way. They do seem to find guys that fit into the locker room as well as just provide stats between the lines. It's pretty easy to import the wrong kind of personality that could sour the good chemistry they seem to have now.

We have a good team. Going toe to toe with the 'Stros for 18 innings kind of proves that. We're pretty close to having a great team IMHO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, VERY close. I wouldn't be opposed at all if they went and got a legit hitting SS and moved JP to second. JP is damn good on defense, but that bat has contributed very little.
And Ty France? He just looks flat lost at the plate. Just my opinion.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Frasier.. did I say Swanson? WTF, is about the best option (Turner is too, but.. wow, he will be expensive) available at SS.. that said, if we plan to keep JP, which I haven't seen or heard of any plans to rid of him, he can stay at SS but we would need to get a solid hitting 2nd Baseman. Trouble with this class of 2b is that Frazier is the best, what seems, option available.. I don't think this is a good UFA year. https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Be surprised if Swanson doesn’t re-sign though.

sutz

Reaction score
Frazier is a bit of a conundrum. 2022 was well below his previous and career numbers. Do we stick with him thinking he'll pick it back up a bit? He was better at the end of the season, if not as good as we needed. Will have to see how the market goes, I guess.

As for JP, he started off hot and then cooled off in 2022. Kind of sad he cooled off just when we could have used him to be better. Another interesting challenge. Don't we have another prospect at SS in the minors that might be up in a year or two, after Marte I mean? Maybe they wait for him to develop. I like that they are using the minor leagues more rationally than previous regimes.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I don't want Judge and his K's..He finally plays a whole
season in contract year..Hits his best average/HR's
It just shades over whats to come..He gets paid and goes
back to getting injured and batting average crashes.
Look at his year by year stats and tell me I'm way off.
I just want a couple decent hitters who can hit with power.
I don't think we need Judge and that massive contract to
get where we need to be.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Would gut the whole offense, but keep Julio and Mitch and France

Keep backups Murphy and Santana, and gut everyone.

DJrmb

Reaction score
I think you have to come out of this FA with one of the shortstops. JP needs to move to accommodate if necessary...

You need one of Turner, Correa, Bogaerts, Anderson or Swanson. It's still to be seen if Anderson and Bogaerts both opt out, but most think they both will. That's 5 guys you have a shot at. I don't want to hear excuses for not getting one.

Beyond that it gets a little more difficult to find places to put more bats. I'm assuming they're going to try to bring Mitch Haniger back... Winker will be on the team unless traded... That's two outfielder/DH spots right there. They can't really afford to bring in another guy that would use up that DH spot if both those guys are on the team.

They also really need to make sure the BP continues to be a strength. They need to add a solid lefty that can be relied upon and maybe another power righty as well. I would target Brad Hand, Aroldis Chapman, or Andrew Chafin as a left-handed addition to the BP. I would also see if James Paxton would consider moving to the BP and maybe take a flier on Zach Britton.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
They need to upgrade and add some power at the either SS or 2B. It would also make sense to add an outfielder. Doubt they feel comfortable platooning Kelenic and Moore another season.

sutz

Reaction score
Moore is a great utility guy. Not a starter, nor even someone I would platoon on a regular basis. He can play almost anywhere and be a league average fielder. He can pinch run with the best of them. I'd keep him if we can, but as a utility bench player.

Kelenic is an enigma. Great outfielder, but it's getting more and more difficult to justify an OF just on his fielding. If we lose him it wouldn't crush me. Winker is under contract for next year, I guess, but I could see him getting replaced as well. He was a much better hitter before he came here. Hard to explain, but seems chancy hanging on to him hoping he reverts to his previous norm. A Kelenic-Junior-Haniger OF would be a dynamite defensive arrangement, but can we give up that JK spot in the batting order?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I don't want Judge and his K's..He finally plays a whole
season in contract year..Hits his best average/HR's
It just shades over whats to come..He gets paid and goes
back to getting injured and batting average crashes.
Look at his year by year stats and tell me I'm way off.
I just want a couple decent hitters who can hit with power.
I don't think we need Judge and that massive contract to
get where we need to be.
I’ll take Judge and his K’s if he hits 50+ dingers. If you want to play with the big boys you got to spend like the big boys.