First .net post!

TheTruth

Reaction score
Been a "guest" for awhile now and figured I might as well join! Longtime Seahawks fan. Grew up in Washington, however I'm in the Sacramento area now. I'm not great with the X's and O's but I've picked some stuff up reading on here thankfully. I look forward to an awesome season with everyone here.

Figured I'd try and contribute something right away too: Over their last 7 games, (going back to their match up against the Patriots) the 9er's defense has allowed an average of just over 29 points per game. Is this too small a sample size or is there something more to this? I was just curious because all you here about is the 9er's nasty defense that, recently, has been far from nasty.

Cartire

Reaction score
:2:

Looking forward to arguing with you soon. :th2thumbs:

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I'm with you on this one, honestly.

I don't have any faith in SF's secondary, though it's probably better than Carolina's.

They've given up points in bunches and given up yards in bunches, as well. The only game in their last 7 they can point to as a solid defensive performance is their regular season finale against Arizona last year.

Granted, they've opened up a lot more on offense, so their margin for error on D is larger than it was in previous years, but if I was a 49er fan, the D would be a pretty big concern to me.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Congrats on the 1st post!

Justin Smith being dinged up last season might have something to do with the 9ers defensive skid (at least that was one excuse for the December Decimation), but if one player makes that much difference there are serious problems there. It probably has more to do with facing very efficient and/or explosive offenses. Not making excuses for them, though. They have not looked elite, but this Sunday will still be a fierce battle.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Cartire":27s60j64 said:
:2:

Looking forward to arguing with you soon. :th2thumbs:

Umm... Not very wise to argue with TheTruth. But he can set you free! :lol:

Nice point about the flood of points the niner D has given up going back to last season. A veritable sieve they've been haven't they.

Are we going to drop a 50 burger on the Bar-b this Sunday?

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
not buying it...I think this guy is a Niners fan!!!!! :mad: He was probably wearing an authentic Jim Druckenmiller jersey as he typed that "first post"!!!!!!!!

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Funny how all they talked about was Smith being out last year when they got smoked. The Hawks will likely have Irvin/Clem/Jordan Hill and possibly Browner out. Yet, you won't hear any excuses if they lose.

Cartire

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2l82hvwu said:
Funny how all they talked about was Smith being out last year when they got smoked. The Hawks will likely have Irvin/Clem/Jordan Hill and possibly Browner out. Yet, you won't hear any excuses if they lose.

hmmmm. Im pretty sure there will be excuses flying like made if either team loses. We are not innocent of that.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Welcome.

It's a sign of the transition from a defensive coach to an offensive coach. The amassed defensive talent has gotten a lot older without a constant influx of great new talent while the 9ers have made their gains on offense. As far as I can tell, they're trying to keep the defense at "win games" good and not "All time" dominant good.

RockHawk

Reaction score
Great post, and welcome!

I feel like the 9'er defense is generally viewed as tough & extremely physical rather than all-out dominant. Yes, the general public may still think it's the best in the NFL (it's not) but I feel it's moved from being a dominant unit to a good unit that teams are still worried about because they are so physically dominant in the trenches.

OP
OP
T

TheTruth

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":14jn0qny said:
Welcome.

It's a sign of the transition from a defensive coach to an offensive coach. The amassed defensive talent has gotten a lot older without a constant influx of great new talent while the 9ers have made their gains on offense. As far as I can tell, they're trying to keep the defense at "win games" good and not "All time" dominant good.

This is a good point. As much as I love putting up points I hope we always keep the defensive mindset that our team has overall.

Laloosh

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2y40r58a said:

Don't forget about Aldon's injured shoulder. That was a close 2nd to the "Justin was out" argument.

Also, I beg to differ. If SEA loses, many, many people will use that as an excuse.