Post-Combine Mock Draft

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Now that most of the Combine is over and we have some testing numbers to talk about, I want to try my hand at a mock draft. It's a bummer that the QBs have propelled themselves so high up. I have long said there are 4 legit first round QBs in this class. They can all go in the top 10 or top 5. I want one of those QBs. I don't know what John and Pete are up to but I wouldn't rule out a trade up. They have the ammo to do so. But in this mock, I am standing pat and letting the draft drop to me. Of course things will change but feel free to pick at this. It's what mocks are for.

1: CJ Stroud (Colts)
2: Bryce Young (Texans)
3: Will Anderson (Cardinals) - Even though, there will be offers -- I think they stand pat and pick an Edge that they really need.
4: Anthony Richardson (Panthers) - Call me crazy but the Bears trade down twice. They will recoup a bunch of picks this year and next. They will give Fields another year but will have ammo next year if they need to trade up for another QB. The Panthers will sign a veteran QB and then pass the torch to AR15 eventually.

#5: Will Levis (QB): We can dissect his game but I think giving him a year to develop would be huge for him. Bring Geno back and still draft your QB of the future. The reality is if you draft Tyree Wilson then he's a project too. Same thing with Myles Murphy. Same thing with Lucas Van Ness. I am removing Jalen Carter entirely because I just don't see the Hawks being interested in him after all of his red flags. We know they don't want to repeat the Malik McDowell fiasco. I actually think Christian Gonzalez and Devon Witherspoon are plug-and-play dudes. No evidence that the team entertains a CB high though. So I'll roll the dice on the last of the big 4 QBs. Feel free to disagree.

#20: Adetomiwa Adebawore (DT/DE): I really think if he last to the Chiefs -- they will take him. "The Alien" will give us a new toy for the Dline. He can learn how to play 4i or 5T but his initial role could be the Quentin Jefferson role. Let him just get after the QB as he adapts to the NFL. Impressive athlete. People are going to be banging on the drum for someone like John Michael Schmitz but he is an average athlete. He is not Creed Humphrey (who is almost the 99th percentile Center athlete). Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on that in the first round.

#38: Daiyan Henley (LB): I think he's going to rise up to the 2nd round. He's short and a little light weight. But he has great coverage skills and has the tape and Combine numbers to back it up.

#53: Joe Tippmann (C/G): He's a bigger Center but he's a great athlete. Dude is smart and can play. I actually like him at Center but love him at Guard. He is a rare athlete at either position. There are rumors he can run a 10-yard split in the 1.60s...

#84: Sam LaPorta (TE): I don't care what people say. Tap into the strengths of the class. TE is pretty loaded but I think someone like LaPorta is going to go in the 3rd round. Really good athlete. Willing to block and played at Iowa. He was used as an inline blocker. The reality is you might not have any of your TEs next season. Get a good TE one year early.

#124: Moro Ojomo (DT/DE): He has a similar profile to Adebawore but just merely an above average athlete as opposed to the alien Adebawore is. 2 explosive 4i or 5T types sounds good to me.

#154: Charlie Jones (WR): He is a Rams to me but lets poach him! He is fast and one of the best route runners in the class. He is a good player. Offers special team value. Let's break the 4th round curse.

#157: Evan Hull (RB): I want Chase Brown here but I think he goes higher now with his Combine numbers. I also liked Roschon Johnson but he didn't test as well as I thought he would. Hull is fast and a good runner. Ideal RB 2 or RB 3.

#199: Rejzohn Wright (CB): He might end up going earlier than the 6th round but he's long, fast, and a press corner. You take a chance here.

Last edited:

samwize77

Reaction score
I guess Panthers not very high on Matt C. at this point......wasted pick for them?.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Here's how I hope the top 5 shakes out.

1. Stroud - Colts
2. Young - Texans
3. DT - Cardinals
4. DT- Bears
5. AR - Hawks

With our [second only to Texas] draft capital and free agency and a smart trade down or two we should still be in good shape to address the rest of our needs in this scenario. I know the Panthers want to trade up for a qb also, so I could see them taking Levis #3 possibly. Hawks are really the only team perfectly positioned to take someone like AR, who will need to sit for a bit. Or, we stay pat and take someone like Wilson at 5, and maybe get Hooker later on.

Last edited:

CPHawk

Reaction score
Levis reminds me a lot of Jake Locker. Lots of hype for really not a lot or reason. Not super excited about him. I would rather take the DE from TT, or Kansey if AR is gone. and then get Hooker in the 3-4th round.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I seriously doubt Hooker lasts til the 3rd. He was a Heisman candidate until he got hurt. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go late 1st/early 2nd.

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Levis reminds me a lot of Jake Locker. Lots of hype for really not a lot or reason. Not super excited about him. I would rather take the DE from TT, or Kansey if AR is gone. and then get Hooker in the 3-4th round.

Sure. I think if you let him sit and learn then you might reap the rewards. He shouldn't start right away. He does have ugly warts right now though. Footwork can be sloppy. Reckless with the ball.

I would not use a 2nd,3rd,4th round pick on Hooker because I really feel like the 2nd-4th rounds is the sweet spot of the draft. There are so many quality players in this range. Do we really want to lose out for a backup QB with good but not great upside? Someone that is injured? So you'll have to draft a QB and sign a backup QB? Why not just use the mid round pick on someone like Dorian Thompson Robinson? DTR is faster, has a bigger arm, and has operated a real NFL type offense. Interesting questions for sure.

Kinger95

Reaction score
Trade pick 5 to Raiders/ Falcons /panthers for pick 7/ 8/9 plus whatever else compensation you can squeeze out of them in the form of a 2nd/3rd rounder this year and an additional 1st /2nd in the 2024 draft.

Pick the best of tyree/van ness/Murphy with the pick that’s 7-9

Pick 20 you go with breese/kancey

Pick 37 you take schmitz/wypler

Pick 53 you take best of LB Campbell/Simpson/ sanders

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score

I honestly wouldn't hate most of the moves that can happen in the first round. You can say the team has needs but Center, DT, LBs are the most glaring needs. That's because we have impending retirements of free agents (Poona, Blythe, Barton).

I do think they will address DT and LB in free agency. These are among the easiest positions to fill and find replacement level players. There are some sneaky FA moves the team can make along the lines of Michael Bennett, Uchenna Nwosu, and others. It's not a star-filled DT/LB free agent class but there are a lot of good players available.

Then the draft will be completely wide open. They can truly go BPA if they want.