Fire Servais

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Seriously, this team needs to fire Scott Servais. Seven years of ineptitude. Constantly making poor in game decisions, especially with the bullpen.
He also has done awful with developing young talent. Kelenic is only the latest but by far most frustrating in a history of failed prospects. And to see some of these players go elsewhere and be successful is a gut punch.

Now last night, we see Kikuchi dominate our lineup and allow 1 hit through 6.

Understandably, it's not all his fault. But a message needs to be sent, and as the skipper, he needs to be held accountable. Find a new manager to get through to these young players.

W

Welshers

Seriously, this team needs to fire Scott Servais. Seven years of ineptitude. Constantly making poor in game decisions, especially with the bullpen.
He also has done awful with developing young talent. Kelenic is only the latest but by far most frustrating in a history of failed prospects. And to see some of these players go elsewhere and be successful is a gut punch.

Now last night, we see Kikuchi dominate our lineup and allow 1 hit through 6.

Understandably, it's not all his fault. But a message needs to be sent, and as the skipper, he needs to be held accountable. Find a new manager to get through to these young players.
I agree Jerhawk. How has he lasted this long without making the playoffs and kept his job??? Crazy! Last year was admittedly a great year but they're clearly not prepared this year. Time for someone new

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think if the team continues to struggle Dipoto may have to do this. But after what he did last season, they aren't going to fire him not even 40 games into the season. That's a knee jerk reaction, as expected from a fan base that wants to win.

They probably fire the hitting coach before Servais. It's too early to start calling for names to go, but if it looks like this by July, then something has to be done.

Rainger

Reaction score
After I watched today's game where our reliever through 8 straight balls and walked 2 in a row to walk in a run I could not agree more.

I had such great expectations for this year, and it has gone to a shit in a hand basket. We are already done another year not in the play-offs even with the best team in 20 years.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
I think if the team continues to struggle Dipoto may have to do this. But after what he did last season, they aren't going to fire him not even 40 games into the season. That's a knee jerk reaction, as expected from a fan base that wants to win.

They probably fire the hitting coach before Servais. It's too early to start calling for names to go, but if it looks like this by July, then something has to be done.
After what he did last season? You mean miss the playoffs for the 21st year in a row? Dude should’ve been fired 3 years ago, not that it’s all his fault. The Mariner management is and has been the worst in all the major sports. They feed the fans the same bag of shit ervery spring.
And yet we always have hope…
They will not get it done until they hire a manager that is more prolific than the clubhouse attendant.

sutz

Reaction score
After I watched today's game where our reliever through 8 straight balls and walked 2 in a row to walk in a run I could not agree more.

I had such great expectations for this year, and it has gone to a shit in a hand basket. We are already done another year not in the play-offs even with the best team in 20 years.
You do realize there is a new rule that a reliever has to face 3 batters, right? He couldn't pull him without faking an injury. 🤦‍♂️

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
How's it Servais's fault he manages a team with an owner unwilling to spend the amount of salary necessary to compete?

Seattle's a top 5 market, even a top 3-4 market when you include their MASSIVE territory of Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and southern Canada. Yet, what is the Mariner's payroll? 22nd in the league.

22nd. That's disgusting, so sorry get all the best managers in the league you want, they're not going to fare much better with this roster without a significant upgrade in quality talent.

How long are fans going to take the same sad sack excuse of "we were in on a lot of free agents, just couldn't make it happen." Sure as hell not going to waste 500 hours of my time every summer until I see ownership commit to being competitive.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
After what he did last season? You mean miss the playoffs for the 21st year in a row? Dude should’ve been fired 3 years ago, not that it’s all his fault. The Mariner management is and has been the worst in all the major sports. They feed the fans the same bag of shit ervery spring.
And yet we always have hope…
They will not get it done until they hire a manager that is more prolific than the clubhouse attendant.

Did you see the lineup they put out there last year? They totally beat out projections last season which is why Servais was second in voting for coach of the year.

If you are going to blame the M's failure the last 21 years because of our manager then you are way off. Fingers should be pointed at the front office.

And lets get this straight, managers in baseball have very little impact on the outcomes. They basically have two jobs. Set the lineup and manage the bullpen. I do agree he hasn't been great this year (especially the screw up in yesterday's game with Kirby), but to think the M's would have some amazing record without him is just wrong.

I've said this before, but with how baseball has gone to analytics, you can probably just put a computer in the dugout and it can tell you what to do. That's what baseball has come to. The Mariners are struggling because players aren't hitting and the front office didn't spend money like they said they would.

Flyingsquad23

Reaction score
When I stated the M’s management “is and has been” the worst in all of the major sports I meant ownership on down. Scott seems to be a good dude and a solid baseball mind…with that said he has had some very high priced players, and never made the playoffs. This organization sucks and I wish Dipoto would follow him out the door.

Threedee

Reaction score
He’s a “yes man” and that’s what Seattle Mariners ownership values the most. Someone that doesn’t cause waves.

Shitty ownership group.
Would you say that it's out of Dipoto's hands, then, or is Servais specifically a "yes man" to him?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Would you say that it's out of Dipoto's hands, then, or is Servais specifically a "yes man" to him?
Honestly I think both are “yes men”. They are part of the problem, the ownership, (see Stanton) is the bigger problem.

When all you can land to plug the holes is 36 year olds Upton and Santana, it tells me ownership doesn’t want to take on salary, as those player are cheap as can be.

ryank24

Reaction score
The Mariners payroll has gone from 157m in 2018, to 146m in 2019, 101m in 2020, 81m in 2021, and is currently sitting at 103m this year.

I feel like Dipoto has done a decent job drafting and trading for young talent. He's actually had guys come in an prove to be legit major league players, so it's not just about hanging your hat on "potential". Plus farm system still has good pieces to help the future.

I think the biggest problem is ownership not letting him spend money. It's actually incredible how openly he talks about the teams plans in interviews, and prior to this off-season he was talking about how they would be spending money when the time came. Well, the time came after a surprisingly good year last year, and they still didn't spend money. Just getting the payroll back to where it was in 2018 would add $54m to the lineup. That money would have gone a long ways towards keeping this team competitive. I can't blame Dipoto for choosing not to spend the money, because there's no way he wants to be in the bottom third of the league in payroll.

W

Welshers

Everyone in this thread please repent. I'm sorry im sorry im sorry

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I’m still not fully convinced SS is that great of an in game manager. But let’s hope he continues to prove me wrong. Can’t argue with the results.

I fhink DIpoto has actually made some real good trades.
The Haniger trade, the Ty France/Munoz/Trammell trade, the Winker/Suarez trade, and I think the Kelenic trade is going to pay off bigtime….and he’s done pretty good drafting.

sutz

Reaction score
I’m still not fully convinced SS is that great of an in game manager. But let’s hope he continues to prove me wrong. Can’t argue with the results.

I fhink DIpoto has actually made some real good trades.
The Haniger trade, the Ty France/Munoz/Trammell trade, the Winker/Suarez trade, and I think the Kelenic trade is going to pay off bigtime….and he’s done pretty good drafting.
Being a manager in baseball is not like coaching in football. He doesn't really call plays and stuff, at least not in the same way. I still have some beefs with him. I hate, hate, hate the shift and I think he uses it far too much. I don't necessarily think he grossly mismanages the pitchers, but i'm not down with many of his moves. But frankly, I think squeezing 90+ wins out of last year's squad was manager of the year territory.

Maybe, though, it was the talent he had to manage. Serv and DiPoto have said numerous time that this is the most talented roster they've had to date, and that shows. Let's see if Jerry can pull off some magic this month and add a solid arm to the rotation and swap out some of the 'utility' guys we have at the bottom of the order, though even those guys have been producing lately. Hell, Frazier is starting to live up to his former resume and looking less and less like a wasted trade.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Being a manager in baseball is not like coaching in football. He doesn't really call plays and stuff, at least not in the same way. I still have some beefs with him. I hate, hate, hate the shift and I think he uses it far too much. I don't necessarily think he grossly mismanages the pitchers, but i'm not down with many of his moves. But frankly, I think squeezing 90+ wins out of last year's squad was manager of the year territory.

Maybe, though, it was the talent he had to manage. Serv and DiPoto have said numerous time that this is the most talented roster they've had to date, and that shows. Let's see if Jerry can pull off some magic this month and add a solid arm to the rotation and swap out some of the 'utility' guys we have at the bottom of the order, though even those guys have been producing lately. Hell, Frazier is starting to live up to his former resume and looking less and less like a wasted trade.
The overshifting and some of his player choices drive me bonkers. You had 3 starting hitters who BA’s start with a 1 line up yesterday.

Toro and Moore shouldn’t be starting on a regular basis, hopefully that is about to change when Lewis and Haniger get back or when they call Kelenic back up.