Pre-June 1st Cuts
Will Dissly ($6.97M Cap Savings)
Julian Love ($5.68M Cap Savings)
Bryan Mone ($5.39M Cap Savings)
Nick Bellore ($2.8M Cap Savings)

Restructured Contracts
Jamal Adams ($7.645M Cap Savings)
Geno Smith ($10.645M Cap Savings)

*Explanation: Doing this allows just enough cap to sign Onwenu & Folk which help immediy. Restructuring Adams & Smith is a way to just delay the inevitable but they can both still contribute Geno is a damn good back-up if he can't win the starting job or a good bridge QB while the future develops if needed and Adams if healthy could have a comeback season in Macdonald's defense.

March 11-13 Re-Signs
Leonard Williams (2yr. $15.7M)
Bobby Wagner (1yr. $3.5M)

*Explanation: Williams & Wagner get re-signed because Williams is a key veteran piece for Durde to get the last little bit out of and Wagner is more for his presence in the locker room, his ability to mentor the next generation of linebackers & still provides rotational depth on game day.

Free Agent Signings
Mike Onwenu RG (4yr. $14.5M)
Nick Folk (1yr. $2.5m)

*Explanation: Rome wasn't built in a day and JS likes building through the draft but a right guard for the next couple of years and a very accurate kicker in Nick Folk is hard not to make work. Onwenu is a very talented guard that I think Grubbs & Huff will be able to get the most out of plus KW3 & Charbonnet will appreciate the holes.

Draft Picks (Used PFN with trade)

JJ McCarthy QB Michigan (25th)

*JJ can be the QB of the future for the Hawks. He has played in big moments has shown poised and play making abilities. Coach Macdonald will know JJ from their time in Michigan together all though on opposite sides of the line.

Jeremiah Trotter Jr. ILB Clemson (75th)

*2nd Generation NFL Linebacker with a nose for the ball in pursuit and good coverage skills too boot. An absolutely integral piece to this defense because he does good in all situations.

Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia (76th)

*Big mauler of a center that gets to put in a lot of work beside Free Agent signing Mike Onwenu and joins two great young book-ends as well.

Kalen King CB Penn State (78th)

*Once King fell here how can we not draft him. King is undersized but a phenomenal cover corner with an absolute mean streak (He draws comps to Witherspoon) and I think Macdonald can find use for another player with those skill sets.

Maason Smith DL LSU (118th)

*Maason Smith hasn't been very productive in college but has rare physical traits that as a rotational player on the line Macdonald & Durde may be able to unlock something amazing.

Satoa Laumea LG Utah (120th)

*A left tackle in college but projects better as a guard in the NFL. Has the potential to become a mauling left guard starter or at the least a guy that's played tackle and guard that can help in rotation.

Jared Wiley TE TCU (122nd)

*Underated big bodied tight end prospect that can catch in traffic, run routes, block, be a threat in the red zone, line up in the slot & take the top off a defense.

Ainias Smith WR Texas A&M (152nd)

*Smith is a workhorse that 12's will fall in love with after a while. He's small fast slot receiver with good hands as a receiver and willingness as a blocker. He has experience as a Reciever, Running Back & Returner which makes him a very valuable weapon in Seattle.

Gabe Hall DL Baylor (193rd)

*Gabe Hall is a very productive but underrated lineman. He isn't a massive tackle but his technique and speed make up for it. He is a key piece in the DL rotation for the future.

Omar Speights ILB LSU (232nd)

*Super productive linebacker that can do it all. When Speights falls into our laps here we make the pick and get another guy to learn a few things from Bobby.

Summary
This off-season is about steadying the ship and building around a young core group. This team has good bones so this year I wasn't try to change the whole team around instead Macdonald & Co. get a chance to see what they want to keep. I chose to push for the restructuring of Adams & Geno because in all honesty we wouldn't have been able to really cut them until after June 1st so I would rather free up some cap this year and worst case scenario we deal with it this time next year. Adams provides Pro Bowl caliber safety play when healthy so if he stays that way what's one to two more years and Geno well I already touched base on that one. I chose to re-sign Williams because he does good against the Shanahan Offense just like our new HC plus he is a good leader for the very young D-line. Wagner comes back for his final year and helps develop the young core while still helping on the field in a lower rep role. We were straped on cash coming into free agency so my two biggest signings were spent strengthening the O-line and a kicked that can handle game winning pressure. Going into the draft I wanted to get a lot of pieces to start developing so I traded back when the deal was right and went for the guys that I felt fit the culture and talent we were looking for. Our big board may have looked different than other teams but we're Seattle and dammit we're different. Our culture as fans we love the guys that showboat maybe talk some shit but always back that up and that's what this team is built for.

Offensive Summary
The starting QB next year is still a little up in the air depending on how Grubbs wants to handle the situation and restructuring Geno works well because either way Geno is going to help JJ in the long run. The running back talent stays consistent with the starting duo but RB's Coach Polamalu should boost this groups productivity and may find a way to mix Ainias Smith in the backfield as well. The receiver unit starts next season with the same starting trio plus a nice 4th weapon in Smith but as the season goes on we should shop Lockett for as much as we can. Tight End is one of the weakest positions on the Hawks but Wiley should give us glimpses of brighter days. The O-line has been filled with a lot body and still needs more work but is really starting to come together as a unit. Grubbs in his first ever year as Offensive Coordinator for a NFL franchise should be set for a very dynamic offense and gets to start building a relationship with the franchise QB.

Defensive Summary
The D-line gets two more young players in Maason Smith & Gabe Hall to add to the rotation of talented lineman for the 4 man rush style that Macdonald likes to run. Trotter Jr. & Speights are the first mainstays of the linebacker unit of the Macdonald Era in Seattle, they are both do it all guys that are going to thrive in this defense. Leslie Frazier & Karl Scott get to coach an elite starting group of DB's in Witherspoon, Woolen, King, Diggs & Adams which let's be real if everyone stays healthy could be one of the best in the league but Diggs & Adams are only temporary veterans to lead the group for now and bridge the gap until they can be replaced.

Just me being dumb with this new Era of defense on the rise we need to retire "The Legion Of Boom" name. My dumb idea is "The Posse On Broadway" which is a Sir Mix-A-Lot song a Washington native for those unaware but my thing is a weekly competition for interceptions and the bragging rights of Sir Pix-A-Lot at the end of the season. Lol just something for people to comment on.

Last edited:

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I love this draft. I’m quickly starting to come around on McCarthy and honestly the only one I would take in this draft other than Travis. I still think we need to focus on the trenches but this does that and has me excited.

OP
OP
J

JesseOh

Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I love this draft. I’m quickly starting to come around on McCarthy and honestly the only one I would take in this draft other than Travis. I still think we need to focus on the trenches but this does that and has me excited.
I used to hate on McCarthy but the more I watched him he won me over with how calm he is and you need that in Seattle. I watched highlights of the picks after I finished drafting and got real excited.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
I was gonna hate and scroll on but I thought I'd comment.

I'm going to trust Mike Mac and this regime for now. If they don't cut, but restructure Adams, it'll be saying something, but I'll trust it until I see how they utilize him and how he responds.

bigcc

Reaction score
I hate so much about this, I'll edit this to go further in depth, but immediately

Mccarthy is Blake Bortles 2.0, I'll cry if we burn a 1st on him

Last little bit out of leonard williams? He's 29 you're out of your mind if you think anyone is signing him for 2/5.7

Even if you meant 2/5.7 per year, try 3/15.7 at a seahawks discount IF LUCKY.

Good luck finding a 3-4 de who can break up plays at 2/5.7, good grief

OP
OP
J

JesseOh

Reaction score
I was gonna hate and scroll on but I thought I'd comment.

I'm going to trust Mike Mac and this regime for now. If they don't cut, but restructure Adams, it'll be saying something, but I'll trust it until I see how they utilize him and how he responds.
Thank you for not just hating, I was going with JS got him to do it once plus his market value may not be what he would get payed by restructuring. A bargaining chip is extend your contract to 30 and if he becomes a star again that final contact is fat.

OP
OP
J

JesseOh

Reaction score
I hate so much about this, I'll edit this to go further in depth, but immediately

Mccarthy is Blake Bortles 2.0, I'll cry if we burn a 1st on him

Last little bit out of leonard williams? He's 29 you're out of your mind if you think anyone is signing him for 2/5.7

Even if you meant 2/5.7 per year, try 3/15.7 at a seahawks discount IF LUCKY.

Good luck finding a 3-4 de who can break up plays at 2/5.7, good grief
That's a typo meant to put 15 didn't notice I'll edit so thanks for that. Also by last little bit I'm meaning his prime because let's be real he is 29 and has had a few injuries in the past. Your opinion on JJ is your opinion and that's fine.

Last edited:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I really dislike the re-signing of Wagner. His inability to be effective in pass defense was a significant issue. We need to upgrade at LB.

JJ in the first round is a significant reach. While I don't think JJ is going to be an NFL caliber QB, reaching for him would be a death sentence. I don't see a scenario where Geno is on this roster and a 1st round QB is as well. They have to be able to get him off the roster, even if it's for a 5th or 6th.

1st round picks start, unless you have Aaron Rodgers.

I'd also disagree with cutting Love. He's been at value for his position and one of the few players who had decent seasons. I feel like Dissly was underutilized in our offensive scheme and depending on MM's plan, he could play a big part moving forward.

Draft wise, outside of JJ, a pretty solid positional focus. I don't have strong opinions on the many players listed, seems researched and I'll have to give them all a look so thanks for sharing!

I think one of my ideal candidates is JJ's partner in Roman Wilson. He'd be an exceptional Lockett replacement and probably could be grabbed in the 3rd if lucky.

OP
OP
J

JesseOh

Reaction score
I really dislike the re-signing of Wagner. His inability to be effective in pass defense was a significant issue. We need to upgrade at LB.

JJ in the first round is a significant reach. While I don't think JJ is going to be an NFL caliber QB, reaching for him would be a death sentence. I don't see a scenario where Geno is on this roster and a 1st round QB is as well. They have to be able to get him off the roster, even if it's for a 5th or 6th.

1st round picks start, unless you have Aaron Rodgers.

I'd also disagree with cutting Love. He's been at value for his position and one of the few players who had decent seasons. I feel like Dissly was underutilized in our offensive scheme and depending on MM's plan, he could play a big part moving forward.

Draft wise, outside of JJ, a pretty solid positional focus. I don't have strong opinions on the many players listed, seems researched and I'll have to give them all a look so thanks for sharing!

I think one of my ideal candidates is JJ's partner in Roman Wilson. He'd be an exceptional Lockett replacement and probably could be grabbed in the 3rd if lucky.
I get what your saying about Wagner and actually debated not resigning him and using that to keep Love because he would be a great 3rd safety possible starter. I could keep Love and lose Bobby in all honesty. I weant for a veteran voice that has been around and helps more culture wise. My plan was starting Trotter Jr. & Speights just using Wagner as a blitz & goaline substitute.

bigcc

Reaction score
That's a typo meant to put 15 didn't notice I'll edit so thanks for that. Also by last little bit I'm meaning his prime because let's be real he is 29 and has had a few injuries in the past. Your opinion on JJ is your opinion and that's fine.
I mean it's all opinion but I get what you mean. I just don't see the production or arm talent that even remotely shows JJ is a 1st round qb, but maybe I just need to watch a bit more to see what I'm missing.

Leonard williams played 18 games last year and has missed 5 games since being drafted 2015.

Injuries aren't a concern, I'd be ecstatic with 2/15.7 but something like 3/18 seems more realistic, I don't think he's going to give us even a remote discount.

CactusJack

Reaction score
Count me in as one of those who's not on the McCarthy love train. I think I would throw my remote if they pulled the trigger on that.

Also, what has Jamal proven to be worth keeping around at this point? The guy simply isn't worth the money he's owed or the headache. It's time to move on.

Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
Leonard Williams is going to go for way more than 2/15.7. I don't know what bigcc is smoking.
That was a comment on him saying "2/5.7"

I added a "1" in front and said it still wouldn't be enough even per year, not smoking anything, I'm happy with 3/18 mil/yr and I think that might not even be enough

OP
OP
J

JesseOh

Reaction score
I could see Williams leaving and not taking the $15.7 but that was literally the last of the cap so we are going to have scrap for 3mil more at least or try to use incentives for later pay days.

CPHawk

Reaction score
There is no good argument that Adams should still be a Seahawks. He is a bust. Would much rather keep love for another year.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
No way Adams can contribute anymore. He’s too slow after his injuries to play safety. He’s Wagner slow and people are raging on the best LB in Seahawk history for his coverage faults.

We keep Love and lose both Diggs and Adams this offseason. MacD hinted at that in his presser saying his guys weren’t going to head to twitter in bad times.

I’m fine with McCarthy as a 1st round pick. He’s not super dynamic but he’s clutch and that describes guys like Brady and Montana. And frankly I think he goes to someone else before the Hawks pick.

bigcc

Reaction score
I could see Williams leaving and not taking the $15.7 but that was literally the last of the cap so we are going to have scrap for 3mil more at least or try to use incentives for later pay days.
Not really

Contracts aren't spread evenly, him averaging 18/yr means typically, he'd be getting like 14 this year at most, and through extensions they can keep most of the roster intact, though very slim margins to add anything outside of the draft. Can also do stuff like guarantee more for less overall cap hit, all kinds of weird things can be done with these contracts, it's why following the cap is so difficult.... (The 2020 nflpa CBA guide is linked below for anyone who is curious as to the actual rules, mods feel free to delete if I can't post files like this.)

Of course that's assuming guys are willing to rework contracts, but if it comes down to something like leonard vs brooks (I understand that brooks won't cost that much) I take leonard without a shadow of a doubt.

He's by far the most important FA and it's not even close imo.

Attachments

• March-15-2020-NFL-NFLPA-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-Final-Executed-Copy.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

bigcc

Reaction score
Who is safety 3 btw if love is gone and we aren't drafting a safety?

As someone who wants to keep jamal, I'd be incredibly uncomfortable not having love behind him. Cutting love for 5.68 doesn't seem worth it given significant health concerns at safety, along with the fact that he would play a large role in comp awards.

Unfortunately he's not really an extension candidate because he'll be getting a significant pay raise by whoever signs him.