ESPN piece on Seahawks Wilson breakup

Fade

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Classless Seahawks.

Put out a hit piece on Russ and then refuse to speak with a media that will ask the tough questions.

Wilson takes the high road.

Seattle is losing the PR battle.

Mediots are gonna mediot. But this is a big deal if they care about the franchise looking classy, versus classless. Having bad public sentiment is not good for business longterm either.

Bad look for the Hawks, good look for Wilson.

W

Welshers

Seattle would have won at least 2 SBs with any of the QBs mentioned in this thread. Sanchez, Flacco, Jimmy G would all have won 2+ SBs with the LoB.

toffee

Reaction score
Seattle would have won at least 2 SBs with any of the QBs mentioned in this thread. Sanchez, Flacco, Jimmy G would all have won 2+ SBs with the LoB.
You know Welshers, I have been asking myself that question too, I kept going back to the list of QBs played in conference championship games in the last 15 years. I couldn't conclusively reject the idea that Sanchez, yes that mediocre QB Sanchez, could have won conference championship games with Marshawn and '13/'14 defense. Probably JimmyG and Flacco. AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO DISBAN OUR DEFENSE JUST TO APPEASE ANY OF THESE QBs.

W

Welshers

AND WE WOULDN'T HAVE TO DISBAN OUR DEFENSE JUST TO APPEASE ANY OF THESE QBs.
Yep. You hit the nail on the head here. The team would have stuck together and one guy wouldn't have taken 30% of the cap.

Fade

Reaction score
Agreed. It has been well worth it, and a stumble in 2025 isn't inevitable, that's just how it looks from the way the current contracts are laid out.

All it takes is a couple of restructurings, to smooth that rough spot out. And yes, even if they do need a reset year, they will be right back to the cash over cap game after a season or two.

As long as the cap keeps going up, they can outcompete anyone who is playing the traditional cap game, because they will essentially be perpetually paying their stars and free agents under a future salary cap.

The Seahawks can afford to play that game too, but their history with free agents leaves me with great skepticism that they could play it well.

What I theorize is Jodi is refusing to put the $$$MEGA BUCKS$$$ (a lot of big longterm contracts into escrow) and gives a rigid annual budget instead. So the Seahawks are bargin bin shopping with a limited budget in UFA.

Let's say they have a $60M budget for free agents as a hypothetical, that's all they spend, even though cash over cap could turn that into $300M via proration. And get you access to the top tier class of Free Agents.

Or it could be their Packers based GM/front office just likes to operate like they're still in Green Bay and it's the year 2005.

Either way it is putting the Seahawks at a disadvantage. And they need to change course or they will fall even further behind in the coming years.

Fade

Reaction score
Yep. You hit the nail on the head here. The team would have stuck together and one guy wouldn't have taken 30% of the cap.
The Denver Broncos after signing Wilson, have the 3rd most cap space in the league.

Cash over cap is the way.

toffee

Reaction score
Sounded like motivation enough to leak all the victimhood stuff to media to buy pity and love. In case all the leak to buy victimhood isn't enough, and now all of a sudden, declaration of his love for Seattle, after he forced his way out of the city and sold his home.

Let's RIDE.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
Sounded like motivation enough to leak all the victimhood stuff to media to buy pity and love. In case all the leak to buy victimhood isn't enough, and now all of a sudden, declaration of his love for Seattle, after he forced his way out of the city and sold his home.

Let's RIDE.
gotta love when these manipulative, vulnerable narcs like russ play the victimhood card. for them sympathy is currency.

toffee

Reaction score
gotta love when these manipulative, vulnerable narc's like russ play the victimhood card. for them sympathy is currency.
It has been Camp Russ' MO: his 'people' leak something, then Russ play the victim, follow with taking the high road. Remember : "Seahawks for life" after he refused to sign extension and actively talking to Broncos?

Modus operandi = doing it over and over the same way.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Mark Rodgers working OT with his leaks to his minions.

Nothing changes

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
UPDATE:

Classless Seahawks.

Put out a hit piece on Russ and then refuse to speak with a media that will ask the tough questions.

Wilson takes the high road.

Seattle is losing the PR battle.

Mediots are gonna mediot. But this is a big deal if they care about the franchise looking classy, versus classless. Having bad public sentiment is not good for business longterm either.

Bad look for the Hawks, good look for Wilson.

I suppose so if being the biggest whiner is the test for winning the battle. Who effing cares what the Denver media thinks. 😭

Someone on KIRO 710 stated that Seattle doesn't do these opposing press calls prior to the first week. And even if they simply chose not to do one, so what? Is this really a serious post?

As for Russell, he is largely spin to protect his image - the problem is once there's a crack in the shell of perfection it will never be shiny and new ever again. Russell's inability to accept his role or take accountability for the lack of success is much more the point than whatever slights he is trying to use to support his cause. Whatever road he's on is lined with a fair amount of deception, lies ,and half-truths.

Russell became as great as he was perceived to be because of his work ethic, confidence, genetics and spin - at some point (much earlier than we can know I think) the confidence turned to hubris and that was the end. As genetics do what they do he may soon be left with only spin to cling to.

As to whether an organization should have been scouting QBs every year and even looking at trading a QB who has become prohibitively expensive and has limitations - I would expect that is big yes of course. I would hope the organization would always be involved and looking at improving in every possible way.

I get the victim role that the media clings to but what is your endgame as a fan of the Seahawks?

With all that said, it does provide some entertainment, so please do carry on.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Question for Fade and all others:

What's your opinion of our Schneider offering Russell for Cleveland's #1 pick in 2018?

To me, that was was of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Opinions, Please.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Question for Fade and all others:

What's your opinion of our Schneider offering Russell for Cleveland's #1 pick in 2018?

To me, that was was of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

Opinions, Please.

They wanted Josh Allen on a rookie contract. How is that dumb? Did you not watch Josh Allen dismantle the SB champion Rams defense, something Russ could never do?

Vesuve

Reaction score
They wanted Josh Allen on a rookie contract. How is that dumb? Did you not watch Josh Allen dismantle the SB champion Rams defense, something Russ could never do?
Yes, I saw it.

Fair point.

I know JA was one of the 2 considered by JS.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
No matter which version of his history with the Seahawks is the true picture, history will judge Russ by how he performs in Denver. Until he has had a few years of running the offense there, we can only theorize.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
.... use the running game to kill time and protect the lead.

You sir may want to rewatch that game.
You sir may want to watch the Bills-Rams game from last night to learn something about never taking the foot off the gas and annihilating your opposition, leaving no doubt about "protecting" a lead. Better to grow your lead no?

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score

I'm pretty convinced at this point that there are members of the Seahawks fanbase that firmly believe that Tim Tebow could have won them 2+ SBs by now with Marshawn and the LoB, and that Russ is nothing more than Tim Tebow with a ring.

NampaHawk

Reaction score
I would say no to that comment, and it's insulting to a lot of non Russell Wilson apologists. I would say David Krieg, Jim Zorn with that team - would have produced pretty much the same results that Russell Wilson did (1 or 2 super bowl wins, depending on good/bad bounces) - so in that sense, Russell Wilson didn't WIN the Seahawks the super bowl, what he did was not play so poorly (like Garoppolo) to COST them a super bowl (I don't blame the loss on RW, I blame it on the whole TEAM). I have never thought Russell Wilson an elite/1st ballot HOF like a lot of you. By most definitions elite is "best of the best" - by being a starting QB in the NFL you are already the "best" - but is Russell Wilson really the best of the best, and in my opinion, to qualify as best of best you need to be top 5%, I think a lot of statisticians would say top 2% - that's TWO NFL starting QB's that would be considered "best of the best" or ELITE - is Russell Wilson one of the top2 NFL QB's in the last decade?

toffee

Reaction score
I'm pretty convinced at this point that there are members of the Seahawks fanbase that firmly believe that Tim Tebow could have won them 2+ SBs by now with Marshawn and the LoB, and that Russ is nothing more than Tim Tebow with a ring.
So, you sir or ma'am, are putting Tim Tebow on the same level as Sanchez, JimmyG, and Flacco? These three may not have tools to be top QB, please do not insult them by comparing to Tim Tebow,.

Last edited: