Earl Thomas: “I know I’m hot” in response to free agency.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
original poster":27d5e2xb said:
NFSeahawks628":27d5e2xb said:
New thoughts:

They cut Sherman and Re-sign Earl then he and Wagner get over their beef.

As much as I hate to admit it, for the cap relief from Having Sherm off the books this is my ideal scenario.

Having Shead and Griffin as CB1 and CB2 doesn't frighten me too much.

The $11M could do wonders for the offense.

They could also re-sign Byron Maxwell. He plays so much better in this scheme with our coaching staff. The rest of the league appears to have given up on Maxwell, so hopefully he can be re-signed for something marginal. That gives them depth at boundary corner. Shead has also played some in the nickel, and Justin Coleman (RFA) could be tendered.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Maxwells hot garbage though. I would have no problems showing him the door.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":11vm5aox said:

Maxwell has been an above average corner since he got here. But because he failed with Philadelphia/Miami, I think he could be re-signed for depth.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
hawknation2017":3dzfm44d said:
pittpnthrs":3dzfm44d said:

Maxwell has been an above average corner since he got here. But because he failed with Philadelphia/Miami, I think he could be re-signed for depth.

Maxwell plays well here in this system.

He gets beat on occasion but overall I'd say he's easily an above average piece.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":3ubbsqok said:
hawknation2017":3ubbsqok said:
pittpnthrs":3ubbsqok said:

Maxwell plays well here in this system.

He gets beat on occasion but overall I'd say he's easily an above average piece.

To provide a little support for that, PFF (which is sometimes faulty and has issues grading corners when they are not being targeted) grades Maxwell as average: 71.1. However, that includes two horrific games when he played for Miami (39.2). He went from an extremely "poor" grade to an average grade with the Seahawks.

That's solid depth if they can re-sign him for near the league minimum, Shead-type salary.

Subzero717

Reaction score
What some might be missing is with Sherm in he allows Earl to cheat the other side of the field a bit more. Teams rarely if ever try Sherm deep anymore and he knows that taking some pressure/responsibility off of him.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Subzero717":b0tjvgqz said:
What some might be missing is with Sherm in he allows Earl to cheat the other side of the field a bit more. Teams rarely if ever try Sherm deep anymore and he knows that taking some pressure/responsibility off of him.

Fair point. In an ideal world, both will be healthy and playing well together for the next 3+ seasons. And Schneider and the cap gurus will find a way to make it work. The big uncertainty is whether Sherman can bounce back from the achilles injury.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Seymour":2s0cm5wt said:
Subzero717":2s0cm5wt said:
907Hawk":2s0cm5wt said:
Steve2222":2s0cm5wt said:
Could you name me elite players who took hometown discounts?

"Michael Bennett signed a four-year, $28.5 million contract with $16 million guaranteed, according to ESPN.com. He had higher offers from two other teams but took less money to re-sign with the Seahawks."

https://nesn.com/2014/03/michael-bennet ... -seahawks/
And shortly after, the next season regretted doing so. Even fired his agent and campaigned in the media for a new deal which he eventually got and a deal that pays him like 16-17 mill this year.

Bennett makes nowhere near $17M. His new deal in 3 years $30M $14,000,000 guaranteed. That is a $10M average. He has a higher cap hit this season of $10.7 because of bonus $$.

That is still a bargain by todays standards. This is one big reason I say signing Richardson (the newcomer) to a considerably higher deal is going create another huge mess with Bennett IMO.
He is pocketing 16-17 million this season. How that is divided yada yada? His bank account will show that. I heard it directly come out of his mouth and I have read it several places as well.

Also, I was speaking more to Earls state of mind, not a who is more important or worth their deal and who isn't. Earl and Bobby are arguably top 2 at their respective positions. They're both important to the success of the defense. From a scheme perspective I've heard Earl is more critical but I know its a drastic drop off if either is gone.

original poster

Reaction score
hawknation2017":b4ub7r8c said:
Subzero717":b4ub7r8c said:

Fair point. In an ideal world, both will be healthy and playing well together for the next 3+ seasons. And Schneider and the cap gurus will find a way to make it work. The big uncertainty is whether Sherman can bounce back from the achilles injury.

I'm not too concerned about his ability to play with this seasons injury, he plays with instinct rather than flat out athleticism anyway so I'd be confident in saying it shouldn't hamper his game too much.

KillerB

Reaction score
Uncle Si":b0csp7j9 said:
Lot of presumption from one quote.

Ain't it, though? Earl is going nowhere next year unless somebody makes a ridiculous trade offer. And he'll likely be franchised once the year after if he's not inclined to sign a new deal. And then...he's 30. That's when the rubber meets the road.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Steve2222":nkj2k9bc said:
Thepeelsessions":nkj2k9bc said:
What do you reckon his trade value is? He should be shopped if he's being this adamant about the dollar amount.

Only a team who feels they’re a safety away from competing would give up anything good in return. And how many teams think they’re a safety away lol

Probably would get a 2nd and 5th at most. Even a second is debatable though.

He’s one of the best at safety, but safety is not a premium position. And he elite teams in the league right now all have good to great FS’.

Ya...Vikings have Harrison Smith in Earls position but Sandejo is pretty garbage. They drafted Jayron Kearse 2 years ago though and he might just end up starting alongside Smith next year. I would say that is the ONLY weaklink in the entire vikings D but I doubt they would trade for Earl

Steve2222

Reaction score
Yeah no way the Vikings could sign ET to go along with an already loaded D. A lot of these teams are about to run into the same issue Seattle did trying to retain all their stars.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Steve2222":3l730wpl said:
Yeah no way the Vikings could sign ET to go along with an already loaded D. A lot of these teams are about to run into the same issue Seattle did trying to retain all their stars.

Strangely enough ....the Vikings dont really have any FA they need to sign in the upcoming year other than QB since Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum are all FA. 2019 they have to decide if they want to resign Kendricks, Barr, Hunter, Diggs

Last year they picked up a few decent size contracts though which worked out pretty well

Riley Reif LT 5 for 58 MIL
Mike Remmers 5 for 30 MIL
L Murray 3 for 15 MIL

I didnt realize they signed both Rhodes and Griffen allready. Rhodes is making bank JFC. 5 year 70 MIL extension.

The defense is actually in pretty good shape as far as contracts go

Smith is signed through 21
Rhodes is signed through 22
Griffen is signed through 22
L Jospeh signed through 22

Kendricks,Barr, and Hunter are all FA though in 19. I could see Vikings signing Kendricks and Hunter to deals and letting Barr walk. Barr is good but hes not worth paying top dollar

Somehow the Vikings have 60 MIL in cap next year though so they could load up for a year if they wanted to or hand out early extensions.

So if they actually wanted Earl they could front load the shit out of his contract but with Smith one of them would have to be SS

HawkinNY

Reaction score
I think it’s time to get rid of Thomas. Trade him and sherm in the off season and get o-line or a bunch of draft picks. Think they are causing to much drama and making younger players not buy in. Just shake things up. Oh and also get rid off half the coordinators on staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojambo

Reaction score
As a general rule, I'd prefer to see them get a LOT younger on defense and let the offense continue to grow together (adding a bell cow RB would be nice though)

Only defensive stars I HAVE to have back next year are Wagner and Clark. I'd go young in the secondary and LOAD up with draft picks and FA signings up front.

Pete needs HUNGRY players on D. We have too many that have been fed.

massari

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":37zqjz0r said:
Trade Sherm and Earl? :34853_doh:
Sherman has zero trade value atm and if they feel Thomas will wanna play elsewhere after next season, then this off-season is the time to trade him.

IrishNW

Reaction score
massari":1xjxfr3o said:
SoulfishHawk":1xjxfr3o said:
Trade Sherm and Earl? :34853_doh:
Sherman has zero trade value atm and if they feel Thomas will wanna play elsewhere after next season, then this off-season is the time to trade him.

I think Sherman has trade value its just not 1st round value. 11 million savings if he gets released and either the same or more if he gets traded. I doubt hes on this team next year either way. Trade him to the raiders for a 3rd round pick and move forward.

Earl Thomas should atleast get you a 2nd rounder. Hes still only 28 years old.