Earl Thomas: “I know I’m hot” in response to free agency.

2_0_6

Reaction score
hawknation2017":sokp1l88 said:
The Patriots have one of the oldest teams in the league. Devin McCourty is 30 and signed until 2020 at $9.5 million per year.

Remind me how many superbowls they have won in the past 10 years?

HawkerD

Reaction score
Football is not a game; It is BIG business, plain and simple. NFL players are the top talent in their industry. Teams are the competitors in this industry. These competitors lure the talent away from each other to make themselves more competitive. The talent evaluates these offers understanding the trade-offs they are making and come to a decision. They have every right to make that decision base with or without consideration of the fan base. Until you come to this realization you will continue to live in a fantasy land that went the way of the Reserve Clause.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2sj2bztc said:
hawknation2017":2sj2bztc said:
The Patriots have one of the oldest teams in the league. Devin McCourty is 30 and signed until 2020 at $9.5 million per year.

So are you suggesting the Seahawks extend Earl Thomas, like the Patriots did with then-28-year-old Devin McCourty?

The Patriots have shifted their strategy to signing older players and giving away draft picks. Hence, they have a significantly older team than the Seahawks.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
We know he's great, and I hope he finishes his career here. However, not a fan of guys telling you how great they are. Oh well, sign of the times.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3cxk4tvo said:
hawknation2017":3cxk4tvo said:

The thing is the Patriots don't have any one single philosophy. Every other team tries to copy them and they're also adapting, doing something different. The idea that they have this one single philosophy we all must follow is basically conventional wisdom

Also, the Patriots have much of their reputation and success from their early Super Bowl wins. Their last two wins were to us and the Falcons, and both of us choked that away. Take that for what you will. All I'll say is, if Pete Carroll had spygate or deflategate under his belt, he'd be banned or become a laughing stock in the league

2_0_6

Reaction score
hawknation2017":zjc8tmir said:
Hawk_Nation":zjc8tmir said:
hawknation2017":zjc8tmir said:

So are you suggesting the Seahawks extend Earl Thomas, like the Patriots did with then-28-year-old Devin McCourty?

The Patriots have shifted their strategy to signing older players and giving away draft picks. Hence, they have a significantly older team than the Seahawks.

No, Im suggesting the extend Sherman and trade Thomas if he wants top 3 money.

Patriots average age is 26.49 and the hawks is 25.83

Being slightly younger has got us where exactly? Not to repeat Superbowl wins like the Pats.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3qzpspsv said:
hawknation2017":3qzpspsv said:
Hawk_Nation":3qzpspsv said:
hawknation2017":3qzpspsv said:

No, Im suggesting the extend Sherman and trade Thomas if he wants top 3 money.

Patriots average age is 26.49 and the hawks is 25.83

Being slightly younger has got us where exactly? Not to repeat Superbowl wins like the Pats.

What would you trade Thomas for? And who would play both safety positions next season?

Thomas is one of our best players, healthy, only 28, and still playing at a high level.

I doubt getting rid of him is a wise strategy to return to the Super Bowl.

2_0_6

Reaction score
I would only want to trade him *IF* he wants top 3 money. I really think you could get a high 2nd and maybe a 5th in return for him, maybe more if its a playoff team wanting that extra piece.

I look at the Sheldon Richardson deal as an example, but with Thomas being overall better.

McDougald can slide in for him, and we did draft safety depth last draft.

You need to realize that you cant keep everyone.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
olyfan63":bdwkojvl said:
If Carroll has Marcus Burley active on game day, instead of an injured Tharald Simon, we don't give up those long drives to Brady and the Patriots. What was Pete thinking?? Burley was a healthy scratchl

Pretty bold assertion to suggest a guy that's not even on an active roster right now would have stopped the greatest QB of all-time and one of the best WR's in football (Julian Edelman) dead in his tracks.

Anyway, in regards to Earl.. and his contract and any perceived split in the locker room. Earl Thomas is just one intense, hard-wired dude. I'm sure he's livid the defense just gave up 40 points and made Todd Gurley look like Bo Jackson on Tecmo Bowl. Those saying "YEAH WHATEVER WE DONT NEED YA" will be eating those words when we have some FS in 2018 that routinely gets whipped on a deep ball.

Earl Thomas is the heart and soul of that defense. It's going to be a sad day when he leaves. And I think that's coming sooner than we want.

original poster

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":3gpcdpb9 said:
I would only want to trade him *IF* he wants top 3 money. I really think you could get a high 2nd and maybe a 5th in return for him, maybe more if its a playoff team wanting that extra piece.

I look at the Sheldon Richardson deal as an example, but with Thomas being overall better.

He would need to be resigned this off season.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":s4to2tsh said:

That's where your logic breaks down again. When the Patriots extended Devin McCourty two years ago, at the age of 28, they made him the 2nd highest paid safety in the game at that time. If you are saying we should be like the Patriots, then the Seahawks should do everything they can to extend Earl Thomas (age 28) to the current threshold salary for a top safety. Losing him would be very un-Patriots-like, and the Seahawks would be a much worse team for it.

The Patriots have also devalued draft picks. It's highly unlikely the Seahawks would find equal compensation for Earl Thomas from 2nd & 5th round picks.

McDougald needs to be re-signed this off-season, and he may be needed at strong safety if Kam Chancellor decides to hang it up.

2_0_6

Reaction score
hawknation2017":359fuo50 said:
Hawk_Nation":359fuo50 said:

That's where your logic breaks down again. When the Patriots extended Devin McCourty two years ago, at the age of 28, they made him the 2nd highest paid safety in the game at that time. If you are saying we should be like the Patriots, then the Seahawks should do everything they can to extend Earl Thomas (age 28) to the current threshold salary for a top safety. Losing him would be very un-Patriots-like, and the Seahawks would be a much worse team for it.

The Patriots have also devalued draft picks. It's highly unlikely the Seahawks would find equal compensation for Earl Thomas from 2nd & 5th round picks.

McDougald needs to be re-signed this off-season, and he may be needed at strong safety if Kam Chancellor decides to hang it up.

Let me speak slower for you.

Resign and extend Sherm and trade Earl. That would be a very Patriot thing to do, just like they did with Jamie Collins, they traded him for a mid round pick and resigned Hightower. Everyone was shocked when it happened, and said that the loss of him was going to affect their defense. All they did was win it all.

I think its funny how you want to resign all these guys like we have an unlimited amount of cap space.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":299aalb5 said:
hawknation2017":299aalb5 said:
Hawk_Nation":299aalb5 said:

Resign and extend Sherm and trade Earl. That would be a very Patriot thing to do, just like they did with Jamie Collins, they traded him for a mid round pick and resigned Hightower. Everyone was shocked when it happened, and said that the loss of him was going to affect their defense. All they did was win it all.

I think its funny how you want to resign all these guys like we have an unlimited amount of cap space.

They traded Collins because his play had dropped off that season. His snap count had gone from 100%, which is expected of a LB, to 60%. He was missing tackles, taking bad angles, and generally making bad reads. That is why they traded Collins.

Earl Thomas is much closer in importance to Devin McCourty than Collins.

Plus, I don't know how anyone could value Richard Sherman (who is just suffered a ruptured achilles) over Earl Thomas (who is healthy and playing well). They will likely have Shaq Griffin, DeShawn Shead, and Justin Coleman (RFA) next season. Byron Maxwell can probably be re-signed for peanuts. Thomas is more valuable/important/rare/healthy than Sherman.

I'm not saying they are going to trade Sherman. After all, his injury might preclude a substantial trade offer. But it's much more likely that they would once again entertain trade talks for Sherman than it is for Thomas.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3h2yaqqy said:
olyfan63":3h2yaqqy said:
If Carroll has Marcus Burley active on game day, instead of an injured Tharald Simon, we don't give up those long drives to Brady and the Patriots. What was Pete thinking?? Burley was a healthy scratchl

Pretty bold assertion to suggest a guy that's not even on an active roster right now would have stopped the greatest QB of all-time and one of the best WR's in football (Julian Edelman) dead in his tracks.

Anyway, in regards to Earl.. and his contract and any perceived split in the locker room. Earl Thomas is just one intense, hard-wired dude. I'm sure he's livid the defense just gave up 40 points and made Todd Gurley look like Bo Jackson on Tecmo Bowl. Those saying "YEAH WHATEVER WE DONT NEED YA" will be eating those words when we have some FS in 2018 that routinely gets whipped on a deep ball.

Earl Thomas is the heart and soul of that defense. It's going to be a sad day when he leaves. And I think that's coming sooner than we want.

We had already picked him off twice. It just seems like our defense shouldn’t have given that lead up either

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I love Earl, and always thought he was the glue that kept this team together on defense, but clearly, I was mistaken.

I'm now convinced that Sherm and Wagner are the two pieces that allow Kam and Earl to do what they do. Earl isn't anywhere close to as effective on the field without those other pieces, hell even Kam seems to have more an influence in that back.

original poster

Reaction score
hawknation2017":1csuzdbr said:
Hawk_Nation":1csuzdbr said:
hawknation2017":1csuzdbr said:
Hawk_Nation":1csuzdbr said:

They traded Collins because his play had dropped off that season. His snap count had gone from 100%, which is expected of a LB, to 60%. He was missing tackles, taking bad angles, and generally making bad reads. That is why they traded Collins.

Earl Thomas is much closer in importance to Devin McCourty than Collins.

Plus, I don't know how anyone could value Richard Sherman (who is just suffered a ruptured achilles) over Earl Thomas (who is healthy and playing well). They will likely have Shaq Griffin, DeShawn Shead, and Justin Coleman (RFA) next season. Byron Maxwell can probably be re-signed for peanuts. Thomas is more valuable/important/rare/healthy than Sherman.

I'm not saying they are going to trade Sherman. After all, his injury might preclude a substantial trade offer. But it's much more likely that they would once again entertain trade talks for Sherman than it is for Thomas.

A straight up cut is also very possible for Richard Sherman. Cutting him would save $11M in 2018 cap space.

2018 see's him carry the third highest cap hit amongst Seahawks players next season (Wilson @ $23.78M and Wagner @ $13.6M, Sherm @ $13.2M).

Risky.

hawknation2017

Reaction score
In order of importance, I would go Wagner>Thomas>Chancellor>Richardson>Wright>Bennett>Sherman.

Sherman is still one of my favorite players. And he could return from his ruptured achilles as good as he ever has been. With the injury, I thought his play had fallen off a bit this year, at least in comparison to those other five or so players.

Cornerbacks tend to be overpaid in this league. And I like what I have seen from our lesser paid cornerbacks: Griffin, Coleman, Shead, and even Maxwell.

I still hope we can keep Sherman AND Thomas. But if I had to choose, I have more faith in Thomas right now.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
New thoughts:

They cut Sherman and Re-sign Earl then he and Wagner get over their beef.

original poster

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":7e3o73q0 said:
New thoughts:

They cut Sherman and Re-sign Earl then he and Wagner get over their beef.

As much as I hate to admit it, for the cap relief from Having Sherm off the books this is my ideal scenario.

Having Shead and Griffin as CB1 and CB2 doesn't frighten me too much.

The $11M could do wonders for the offense.

Latest posts