Building This Roster - Getting Back to Basics

adeltaY

Reaction score
If they can find/develop six+ pro bowl players on defense with what they've got AND field a consistent offense, I'll be 100% blindly faithful in PCJS from that point on. Don't have much faith in that happening again but I'd be ecstatic to be proven wrong.

Young players are whatever. Get some young All-Pros and we have a fighting chance.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At this point, ratcheting back expectations is probably a more reasonable move forward.

It isn't enough the fix the issues with the roster.

We have to do it in a way that makes us better than the other teams doing the same thing.

We have not really excelled at that for several years now. So while possible, likely not very probable.

This is not a team that is a few moves away from being back to the SB. This is a team that has been essentially a wildcard team for several years running and now not even that. It isn't even a playoff team.

And in the past 3-4 years has JS even made a move that was not either a net negative or of negligible impact? If the shining light of recent roster moves is not screwing up on a 917th string CB Coleman - that pretty much speaks for itself.

We did screw up in mortgaging the farm for a 1 year rental of Richardson & the pickup of Brown. And all of we gave up to get us those guys produced ...a missed playoff slot and a lot of lost draft picks.

There simply is nothing you can look at where you see a clear path out of the mess because the guy steering keeps making mistakes piled on more mistakes.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Another thought that seems to escape some here is the team had quite a number of 1 year deals this last season; and that number was high relative to other teams. This puts them in the grinder needing to add players to build the roster numbers up to a league average.

I think OP's assessment of their plan is spot on.

chris98251

Reaction score
The problem is that the first go round Pete was bringing in players that fit a specific profile and he has his pick of the bunch, long CB's Big Safety's slimmer but faster LB's.

The league caught on and now is competing for those guys with us. Much harder to go shopping in the bargain bin when everyone else is running in the door as well once someone has said they found a Van Gogh in it.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Well yes man Pete is using the same rebuild blueprint he used when he first got here. Your post is accurate if alittle longwinded. We'll see if that carries through to the draft as well in Pete's first draft they took consensus talent in the first round i'd like to see them do that again.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":wdxx4hwt said:
The problem is that the first go round Pete was bringing in players that fit a specific profile and he has his pick of the bunch, long CB's Big Safety's slimmer but faster LB's.

The league caught on and now is competing for those guys with us. Much harder to go shopping in the bargain bin when everyone else is running in the door as well once someone has said they found a Van Gogh in it.

This is very true.

PC also had the benefit of knowing the college players coming out from his days at SC. He doesn't have that advantage today. It will be very important that his college scouts are very thorough and can find some gems in the middle rounds like the first time.

That's going to determine whether this strategy is successful, or not. We will see.......

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":nrvwddlz said:
There simply is nothing you can look at where you see a clear path out of the mess because the guy steering keeps making mistakes piled on more mistakes.

Sure there is, TH. My original post :)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
kf3339":k7ua9n1e said:
chris98251":k7ua9n1e said:

This is very true.

PC also had the benefit of knowing the college players coming out from his days at SC. He doesn't have that advantage today. It will be very important that his college scouts are very thorough and can find some gems in the middle rounds like the first time.

That's going to determine whether this strategy is successful, or not. We will see.......

This is a valid point. I wonder if his new coaches have that knowledge from the college ranks that he had. Will the group know what they need in the draft and if they can acquire them? This year is getting back to being interesting.

Own The West

Reaction score
I agree with the OP, OP, 100%. I would further add that I believe they knew they were going to have this fire sale before last season started, so going all in made sense. If our OL had played average and/if more of our stable of RBs had stayed healthy we might have hoisted our 2nd trophy.

As is, we're no worse off other than than the 2nd rounder for Richardson. That move would have looked genius if we'd made it deep into the playoffs though.