Draft A Potential Franchise QB In April

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I don't think they should force quarterback early if the best they're going to get is an arm-limited prospect like McCarthy, who would have a snowballs chance in hell of being appreciably better than Geno Smith currently is and would have a low ceiling anyway

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
That being said

Go get Jayden Daniels and trade what you gotta if teams will even answer your calls. If the trade partner wants Geno as a stopgap, or will accept Lock in lieu of say a fourth, then hell yeah.

Going from 16 to 5, which is the ballpark the trade would likely be, would likely take two firsts and a couple of sweeteners.

Could look like, say:

SEA:
2025 1st
2025 3rd
2026 2nd (or Geno Smith + 4th/5th rounder, or Lock + a 3rd rounder)

Other team:
2025 7th (because they always throw one in for some reason)

Yes, this is an overpay with draft value charts. The charts do not matter when we're talking high trade ups for quarterbacks (See: Trey Lance, Bryce Young, etc.)

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
True, but if I'm going to bet 50 bucks on who is going to pick a better qb : the guy with a first round pick or the guy with the third round pick ? Dropping my bet on the first rounder. I completely agree that it's a crapshoot. But I want to pick with as many options as possible. Now if a team decides they like Harry McTurd out of Poopstain University the most and they think he will be available on day 2 or 3 , they that's cool.
I was looking at the mocks and they had Minnesota taking McTurd in the 2nd.

Seattle addresses the offensive line and it will make a huge difference.

Ozzy

Reaction score
If Pete is hellbent on not setting this team up for future success and just rolling with Geno then I hope he attacks the interior of the offensive line. A great line would make Geno look much better.

12forlife

Reaction score
View attachment 62528
I don't think they should force quarterback early if the best they're going to get is an arm-limited prospect like McCarthy, who would have a snowballs chance in hell of being appreciably better than Geno Smith currently is and would have a low ceiling anyway

Sorry, but McCarthy has plenty of arm. I see alot more upside to his game, then anything Geno offers. McCarthy shows more poise, and has more ability making plays off script.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Sorry, but McCarthy has plenty of arm. I see alot more upside to his game, then anything Geno offers. McCarthy shows more poise, and has more ability making plays off script.

I like McCarthy a lot otherwise, but even in the second play on that highlight clip, he's got to fully step into that and do a full windup to hit that sideline go route. There's no effortlessness to his passes. It's likely to cause trouble down the road if he has to wind up like that to get the ball down the field or put zip on intermediate balls. I worry about his out route balls and middle shots floating. It'll be harder not to get picked on by NFL level safeties.

If he can rework some of his mechanics and find some additional zip, it'll pay dividends. I know we've talked about this before, but I just simply see him as a prospect that is limited in that one regard when projecting him to the league.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
I was looking at the mocks and they had Minnesota taking McTurd in the 2nd.

Seattle addresses the offensive line and it will make a huge difference.
Gotta invest in the o-line for sure. Was hoping we'd have a rook to line up with Cross and Lucas this year .

Still though, Geno or Lock aren't the long term answer. Geno is older and at his ceiling and Lock is Lock. Now I'd take a 23 year old Geno with a monster defense and deal with his occasional Genoisms.

Mel Kiper is in cahoots with the Vikings to make everyone  think they want McTurd. My ouija board says they take a punter.

And for the record, I'd wear a McTurd jersey .

Boycie

Reaction score
I like McCarthy a lot otherwise, but even in the second play on that highlight clip, he's got to fully step into that and do a full windup to hit that sideline go route. There's no effortlessness to his passes. It's likely to cause trouble down the road if he has to wind up like that to get the ball down the field or put zip on intermediate balls. I worry about his out route balls and middle shots floating. It'll be harder not to get picked on by NFL level safeties.

If he can rework some of his mechanics and find some additional zip, it'll pay dividends. I know we've talked about this before, but I just simply see him as a prospect that is limited in that one regard when projecting him to the league.
This^ I thought this when I watched his highlights and mentioned this a couple of weeks ago. His arm strength concerns me. To put it in hockey terms, he has a muffin of an arm.

Jac

Reaction score
This^ I thought this when I watched his highlights and mentioned this a couple of weeks ago. His arm strength concerns me. To put it in hockey terms, he has a muffin of an arm.
I realize the worst thing I can do is make QB evaluations based on the exception (e.g., the absurd "we don't need to draft a QB before the sixth round because that's where Tom Brady got picked")...but I think Purdy probably has the most mediocre arm in the league and he's doing pretty well.

Boycie

Reaction score
I realize the worst thing I can do is make QB evaluations based on the exception (e.g., the absurd "we don't need to draft a QB before the sixth round because that's where Tom Brady got picked")...but I think Purdy probably has the most mediocre arm in the league and he's doing pretty well.
True, but when I watch the film, I just don't see it there with him. I am by no means an expert, but there is something that doesn't give me confidence with him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's not where you draft but who you draft. There are plenty of QBs throughout NFL history that become good to great but were not the top QBs in their draft classes. However, the chances a top QB can develop into a good to great QB are higher if they are drafted in the earlier rounds. But with every Peyton Manning there is a Ryan Leaf.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Im
But we don't have the type of system or innovative coaches who can succeed with that limitation.

Jac

Reaction score
Im

But we don't have the type of system or innovative coaches who can succeed with that limitation.
Oh, I TOTALLY agree. Any QB selection should go hand-in-hand with a new coaching staff that wants to work with him. That's one reason I hope this team finally rips off the bandaid and replaces Carroll this offseason.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Gotta invest in the o-line for sure. Was hoping we'd have a rook to line up with Cross and Lucas this year .

Still though, Geno or Lock aren't the long term answer. Geno is older and at his ceiling and Lock is Lock. Now I'd take a 23 year old Geno with a monster defense and deal with his occasional Genoisms.

Mel Kiper is in cahoots with the Vikings to make everyone  think they want McTurd. My ouija board says they take a punter.

And for the record, I'd wear a McTurd jersey .
Yep.

If Seattle could address the interior of the line they'd be a different team.
Maybe Oluatwami (sp?) Will start , then maybe get a Mauler or two to go with Bradford and of course all the injuries they'll have.

Optimus25

Reaction score
That is not a winning philosophy. "Plug and play until it sorts itself out"? Who do you think we are the frickin Browns. Seattle hasn't missed on QB's, if they see their guy they need to do be all needs to go get him! He'll as bad as the Hawks are playing we may end up with a top 10 pick. At that point Williams & Drake are in play! Plug & Play, damn your funny!
But i think you’re missing the spirit of his post.

What good is Williams or Mahomes himself with this defense? You can have a star take a mediocre defense all the way but no one can make up for this level of play.

You can prove that because NOBODY could have scored more points than Geno did against Dallas. It’s almost impossible. One stop and we win that game. Didn’t happen.

Then like cincy or BUF, if you miss the window during the ‘cheaper’ years of star QB play, you’re going to be up against the wall to pay him mega dollars and build a SB roster in the process after.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
Yep.

If Seattle could address the interior of the line they'd be a different team.
Maybe Oluatwami (sp?) Will start , then maybe get a Mauler or two to go with Bradford and of course all the injuries they'll have.
I thought we would be further along with the line by now, even with the Lucas injury. I'm not expecting the Holmgren line, but seems like we can't field a decent line year to year. They will play fine this week then it's a turnstile the next. Maybe that's a coaching issue too.

After the holidays, I'm seriously thinking about ordering a McTurd jersey. Of course he'd be number 2. Wearing that at times might be a fun way to vent frustration.

Latest posts