Does anyone else think Seattle won the trade?

Did the Seahawks win the RW trade?

• Yes

Votes: 101 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
It really all hinges on if the Broncos win the Superbowl. That was the whole point of them acquiring him, because they felt QB was the missing piece to their team.

If the Broncos win the Superbowl with Wilson while he's there, they clearly won. And Pete and John will look like fools for trading their franchise QB for spare parts and not satisfying him.

If they don't win the Superbowl, then it really hinges on how the assets the Seahawks acquired pan out. The Broncos won't look as smart for trading a ton of assets for a QB that couldn't get the job done, and Pete and John can sleep better at night.

So it's really way too early to be asking this question. We will revisit in a couple years and see what's transpired then.

In the short term, the Broncos have won the trade because now they're competitive, and the Seahawks are not.

Lastly, some of your opinions and evaluation on Wilson are so far off the mark it's laughable. Some of you guys sound like a jealous ex bad mouthing their former lover after a breakup, pointing out little faults here and there when in reality, you're depressed you're not together.

Wilson did a lot of great things here, and he has a lot of great football left in him (barring injury). Nitpicking on his weaknesses and ignoring his strengths is petty.
So what would've happened if the Hawks kept Wilson? Pete and John would be fools to force him to stay and not pick up all these draft picks. There is a way both teams win in this trade. I don't see a way you can say the hawks made a bad decision to let Wilson go unless all the draft picks they received turn into busts.

toffee

Reaction score
So what would've happened if the Hawks kept Wilson? Pete and John would be fools to force him to stay and not pick up all these draft picks. There is a way both teams win in this trade. I don't see a way you can say the hawks made a bad decision to let Wilson go unless all the draft picks they received turn into busts.
All the media experts preferred that we keep Wilson, fire Pete and John, let Wilson pick his HC/GM and give Wilson the $50m contract. Not sure how that will work, unlike Brady, Wilson doesn't have a gang of close friends that will follow him, not even Lockett.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
If the Seahawks hung onto Wilson, they should've done everything in their power to make him happy. If that means firing yet another offensive coordinator, firing Pete, whatever, then you do it and then give into him and his agent's contract demands.
This franchise has been looking for a franchise QB since 1976. They finally got one, then made some boneheaded trades that set the rest of the team back and stuck him in an offense that doesn't fit his skill set until they pissed him off so much he starts getting squirmy and gets a ticket out of town. And to make it worse, the Seahawks didn't seem to have a plan B at QB. My thought is, if you're going to trade the most valuable player on your team, you better be darn certain you've got a back up plan.
Is their plan to draft a QB high in 2023? Are they waiting out the Browns until they give Baker up? Was it Desean Watson? I doubt it's Drew Lock.

You put Wilson in Shannahon's system that gets the QB out of the pocket, he probably wins league MVP. Instead, they've got him running the same ineffective read option, and empty set shotgun formations.

We had a franchise QB and traded him for question marks. That takes guts. It's a huge gamble obviously. But this sentiment on here saying he's washed up, we're better off without him, etc, that's flat out denial.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Just remember - The Mariners got rid of Randy Johnson because 'he was too expensive and too old'

Randy was one of the reasons the new ballpark was even built!
Randy went on to basically an expansion team. Together with another 'too expensive and too old' guy - they won a World Series together.

The Mariners basically stopped going to the playoffs although they occasionally teased it. In came the 'Dancing Groundskeepers' to try to keep people going to games. And the Mariners leaned heavily into Freddie Garcia, who was good - but not the kind of dominating pitcher that could power a playoff run.

Wilson is a QB, a top tier QB. QBs are expensive because they are more important to the success of the team than a #1 pitcher is to their team. More important than the coach and honestly maybe even the GM.

Teams that don't pay their QBs don't get to keep them. And teams that don't have QBs don't get any kind of chance at SB win (I guess the 49ers did it, but the 49ers are an outlier).

Wilson has plenty of flaws. And he is clearly into himself. But for all the weaknesses about not using the middle, is the strength he has at turning trips to the RZ into TDs. We are going to find out that those #s are not normal. Not as great at keeping drives going but he can put TDs on the board...which is the point of the offense. Not paying your QB because QBs are 'too expensive' is the loser Mariner way. Yes, you can get a rookie future star and load the team up with studs, then put a young gun in there...path to the SB. But you have to get lucky, and it isn't something you can count on.

We will see. But normally, you keep your HOF QB because that is the most important indicator of team success.

Last edited:

rcaido

Reaction score
All the media experts preferred that we keep Wilson, fire Pete and John, let Wilson pick his HC/GM and give Wilson the $50m contract. Not sure how that will work, unlike Brady, Wilson doesn't have a gang of close friends that will follow him, not even Lockett.
That is what we should have done. Wilson would have stayed and we get to see letting Russ cook the whole season turns out.

I rather see that then be the next Jets, Jaguars, and Browns the next decade.

Seahawks had the second most wins since Wilson started. Only patriots had more wins.

toffee

Reaction score
That is what we should have done. Wilson would have stayed and we get to see letting Russ cook the whole season turns out.

Seahawks had the second most wins since Wilson started. Only patriots had more wins.
you got your wish, Wilson will be that $50mil QB with HC kowtow to him, in Denver.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
you got your wish, Wilson will be that $50mil QB with HC kowtow to him, in Denver.

We'll see how that works out.

Even though it was inevitable that RW3 and the Hawks parted ways, I AM curious as to how it'll play out (or unravel). Will the new team, coach and game plan tailored to him actually work?

No matter what, he'll get his money. I almost feel sorry for Denver because of the side drama rumor "leaks" that we had to experiance. So glad that circus has left town.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score

What makes you assume we become equivalent to the worst teams in the league because we don't have Russ?

Even pre-russ in 2010-11 with backup QBs as starters, he still managed 7 win seasons. Far above the average of the teams you've mentioned in the past 10 years or so.

Pete will need a top QB to win a championship, but what coach doesn't? Seahawks are trying a more proven way of winning a championship. Build the team up and install the QB when the roster is ready, either veteran or young QB on their 1st contract.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The problem isn't Wilson being a $50M QB. The problem is someone like Jimmy being a 30 or 40M QB.
You can get away with overpaying a star QB and still win. Ask the Saints. It just means you are not as great for a few years and then turn competitive as EVERYONE has to pay their QB 50M.
Paying top dollar for a top player is usually worth it unless you can luck into a productive rookie.

The greatest fear is paying near top dollar to a nowhere near top player. Ask the 49ers.
Those are guaranteed. You are stuck when you pay a Jimmy G or a Drew Lock big money for not very big results.

You don't save money if you refuse to sign the expensive guy, ostensibly to save money, then realize you have a hole and then sign someone much crappier to a contract that is almost as bad but without any of the actual results. And Seattle teams do this ALL THE TIME.

toffee

Reaction score
We'll see how that works out.

Even though it was inevitable that RW3 and the Hawks parted ways, I AM curious as to how it'll play out (or unravel). Will the new team, coach and game plan tailored to him actually work?

No matter what, he'll get his money. I almost feel sorry for Denver because of the side drama rumor "leaks" that we had to experiance. So glad that circus has left town.
Interestingly, some on this forum believe that Peteball was the perfect system for Russ with results as evidence. Mr. Wilson and team Russ of course disagree with that, under Peteball, Mr. unlimited was limited to just a game manager.

We had a glance at LetRussCook in 2020, although that was not an ideal setup, OL wasn't great, no true star receivers, all we had was an 'underappreciated' Lockett, and a star in the making DK. But the result was debatable. When Russ tried to cook in 2021, the result was even more miserable, probably the finger and OL's fault too.

I am of the opinion that under Peteball, we need an above average QB to win, to be in the playoffs. That was what Russ did for us from 2015-2021??

nanomoz

Reaction score
If Russ doesn't revert to 2019 or early 2020 form, this trade could be very bad for Denver.

GemCity

Reaction score
I don’t think Russ is washed…not even close.

But, we do know it wasn’t working out here.

Perhaps we shouldn’t view it as either A or B?

As fans, you e got to be excited about the next chapter. In my opinion, we’re off to a great start.

Thankful for Russ but, if he’s truly demanding $50M per year, I have no doubt we made the right choice.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It could be bad for Denver?? (What about us?)

Vs how bad it would be if the best QB we could find would be Drew Lock or (god forbid) Geno?

A lot more likely a team with an offensive coach gets more from a HOF QB than a team with a defensive coach somehow coaxes excellence from what looks all the world like a bang-average QB that gets worse under pressure.
The Broncos as a team might get worse on defense, but to expect that a guy that could work with Rodgers couldn't coax better #s from Wilson is pretty interesting.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Interestingly, some on this forum believe that Peteball was the perfect system for Russ with results as evidence. Mr. Wilson and team Russ of course disagree with that, under Peteball, Mr. unlimited was limited to just a game manager.

We had a glance at LetRussCook in 2020, although that was not an ideal setup, OL wasn't great, no true star receivers, all we had was an 'underappreciated' Lockett, and a star in the making DK. But the result was debatable. When Russ tried to cook in 2021, the result was even more miserable, probably the finger and OL's fault too.

I am of the opinion that under Peteball, we need an above average QB to win, to be in the playoffs. That was what Russ did for us from 2015-2021??
In 2020, he still ran for 513 yards so he was still fairly effective running. I believe it might have been in 2017, when he was over 85% of the Seahawk offense that year. I think that was the season they brought in Eddie Lacy among others but couldn't establish a running game. Guess who led the team in rushing? He was asked to do a lot more than Brady, Rodgers, Brees, etc from a running perspective. None of those guys came close to leading their respective teams in rushing or were even top 2 or 3 in rushing for their teams most seasons.

In 2011, TJack was sacked 42 times. Whitehurst was sacked 8 times too. About 21% of the time the Seahawks QB took a sack. That's 1 sack in every 5 plays. Outrageous.

I have a feeling Lock and Smith will have similar fate. They are less mobile than Wilson. Last season, Geno Smith had a higher sack % than RW. Geno was at 12% and RW was at 7.6%.

With that said, I hope Lock and Smith improve and have a good year. It would only help the Seahawks if they play well.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Just remember - The Mariners got rid of Randy Johnson because 'he was too expensive and too old'

Randy was one of the reasons the new ballpark was even built!
Randy went on to basically an expansion team. Together with another 'too expensive and too old' guy - they won a World Series together.

The Mariners basically stopped going to the playoffs although they occasionally teased it. In came the 'Dancing Groundskeepers' to try to keep people going to games. And the Mariners leaned heavily into Freddie Garcia, who was good - but not the kind of dominating pitcher that could power a playoff run.

Wilson is a QB, a top tier QB. QBs are expensive because they are more important to the success of the team than a #1 pitcher is to their team. More important than the coach and honestly maybe even the GM.

Teams that don't pay their QBs don't get to keep them. And teams that don't have QBs don't get any kind of chance at SB win (I guess the 49ers did it, but the 49ers are an outlier).

Wilson has plenty of flaws. And he is clearly into himself. But for all the weaknesses about not using the middle, is the strength he has at turning trips to the RZ into TDs. We are going to find out that those #s are not normal. Not as great at keeping drives going but he can put TDs on the board...which is the point of the offense. Not paying your QB because QBs are 'too expensive' is the loser Mariner way. Yes, you can get a rookie future star and load the team up with studs, then put a young gun in there...path to the SB. But you have to get lucky, and it isn't something you can count on.

We will see. But normally, you keep your HOF QB because that is the most important indicator of team success.

So you’re saying we will win 10 games, 17 games (Mariners win 116 year two after Randy), and then two more 11 win seasons before becoming irrelevant?

Randy isn’t why the Mariners have sucked for so long. It was that Boone and company couldn’t get their roids anymore. And the owners ran off Gillick and Lou.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score

:cry:

nwHawk

Reaction score
If Russ doesn't revert to 2019 or early 2020 form, this trade could be very bad for Denver.
So Russ has to play like he did 3 years ago to return to form? Good luck.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I think people forget that Russ wanted OUT! He held the no trade clause and could have shut the whole thing down, but he didn't.
What were the Hawks options?

The ownership could have asked Wilson why he wanted out and eliminated the reason being Pete Carroll. Thats what should have happened, but that would have made to much sense.

sutz

Reaction score
Yeah, because team's fire their head coaches to make players happy all the time. :LOL: